LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Steve. I had a variety of etched GWR dining car sides and all looked very interesting. In the end though, I went for the H33's because they would not take several weeks to produce.

Last edited:

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Larry, have you ever thought of giving the old Alex Jackson couplings a go? A bit of a pain to set up but they do work well and are hardly noticeable in operation. I’m thinking Kadees for the coaching stock and maybe AJ’s on the freight side

Regards,

Martyn.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
GWR coach building ground to a halt while awaiting etchings and other bits. However, the first of some LMS coaches was built for inter-regional excursion traffic to my terminus attraction (big dam). This LMS D1915 7½-bay open third was built from the last of my own etchings. End water filler pipes hang loose until the coach is just about ready for traffic. Thank goodness for photography ~ no door handles!
WEB LMS D1915 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I have been reminded of things I did not like about Kadee couplings (too much slack & bounce) and so all the brake coaches have been converted back to tension-locks. Wire across the buffers will go on all the locos. At least they'll look neater.

Meantime, parts arrived to make a GWR D121 corridor brake third. These are my own etchings to save me soldering droplights in between windows and the pain of trying to fit individual peices of glazing afterwards. These coaches introduced the low-waist styling in 1936 while retaining high waist at the van end. No brake end steps either...
WEB GWR D121 1.jpg

Hornby Pressed Steel bogies fitted as Bachmann's looked too clunky on this coach even though they suit other coaches...
WEB GWR D121 2.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The GWR D124 corridor brake third in post 135 has been scrapped although the roof, bogies and interior were used in the construction of a replacement.

The reason behind this move is I've been working on a more accurate GWR end profile. LMS coach sides had a deeper straight section before the tumblehome commenced whereas the tumblehome commenced higher up the coach side on GWR coaches, hence making a replacement GWR D124 brake third...
WEB GWR D124 new 1.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Next up is a very much needed GWR B-set, the mainstay of the local pasenger service on Llanfair Road. My own etchings for a pair of E147 brake composites were fettled this morning ready for this afternoon's build. An E157 sheet was robbed of its underframe and ends for one of the coaches...

WEB D147 B set 1.jpg

The end view of a brake third is merely to show the side profile. The revised tumblehome right, but we found we had to taper the sides in until the wideth between the cornices was 34.mm to suit the extruded roof rebate that fits between the sides...
WEB D147 B set 2.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It's only as far as things got by 6pm as I was cooking a meal for me and a grandson. Now I'm not working, I take my time and do other things in between. There are now eleven coaches in the sprayshop queue. No one can say all GWR coaches looked alike :p ...

WEB E147 B set 4.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Larry

thanks for the info about the emergency gear. Makes sense but I had no idea.

might improve a model one day…

cheers
Simon

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I was able to spend an hour on the B-Set before going to bed and fixed up a link between the inner ends. It is purely functional and makes no pretence at prototype accuracy. A 10BA screw was sunk into a tapped hole, soldered and then cut off flush with the inside of the floor...
WEB E147 B set 5.jpg

I don't have any blind buffer planks hence the holes. I could have fabricated some but I figured they would barely matter in 4mm...
WEB E147 B set 6.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Now completed, the E147 B-set was photographed at noon. Bachmann Pressed Steel bogies were fitted; thos it the inner ends having their coupling brackets completely removed...
WEB E147 B set 7.jpg

The E147 etched was in early 2016, but my interest in GWR non-corridor only blossomed when I began to plan for a layout based on Llanwchllin, I believe the very last B-set in service worked this line...
WEB E147 B set 8.jpg

The E147 and E157. The lower waistline of the E157 brake composite is obvous in this view. The 157's were never formed as B-sets. The latter is waiting patiently for an all-3rd compnaion...
WEB E147 B set 8B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
To round things off GWR-wise, it was apparent a corridor composite was needed and what better than an E163 Hawksworth. A set of Comet etched sides were in the spares box and a Hawksworth corridor first was in the garden shed, one of several all-first's bought cheaply for their bogies and interiors.

As usual, the droplights were soldered in position and a 3mm wide strip of brass soldered along the very top of the two coach sides...
WEB Hawksworth compo 2.jpg

That's all the soldering needed. It's all cut, file and glue from here on...
WEB Hawksworth compo 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The last shall be first! This because the Hawksworth's form of construction grinds to a halt until the sides are painted. They were sprayed with Halford red oxide primer before breakfast to get an early start. I'm not keen on the stuff because it is like blotting paper. My own cellulose BR lake was then sprayed on followed by a coat of Halfords Damask Red. I settle for this when HMRS 'Metfix' transfers adhere much better to Halfords paint.

I can judge the position of the running number much better if the black lining is put on first...
WEB Hawksworth compo 6 jpg..jpg
Yellow lining in place ready for a spray coat of Halfords Satin acrylic. The under-painted verticle beading shows well...
WEB Hawksworth compo 7 jpg..jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It's been a 'Save the Hawksworth' morning, which is why it survives after so many mishaps. I think this is it for Western Region stock for now. Most are awaiting painting...
WEB Hawksworth compo 8 jpg..jpg

WEB Hawksworth compo 9 jpg..jpg

WEB Hawksworth compo 10 jpg..jpg

The first corridor window shows signs of touching up after paint came off with the masking tape. I suppose no real coaches had pristine panelling under the paint after nine years in traffic. I must put some oil in those axleboxes :) ...
WEB Hawksworth compo 11 jpg..jpg

EDIT: 25th Sept. 21. This coach will probably be scrapped now to provide a chassis for a Hawksworth suburban.

Last edited: