LASER CUT MDF BRICK SHEETS

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Can I ask for some advice on using laser cut 2mm MDF brick sheets to face a structure such as a retaining wall, as opposed to buildings, low relief or otherwise. Should the sheets be backed to thicken them up or thinly braced? For years I’ve used only embossed brick plastikard but for my latest project I thought I’d try laser cut 2mm MDF sheets instead. Noting the recent discussion of materials for large buildings and bracing, rather than make a mess of things I thought it best to ask first.

Cheers
Tony

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Can I ask for some advice on using laser cut 2mm MDF brick sheets to face a structure such as a retaining wall, as opposed to buildings, low relief or otherwise. Should the sheets be backed to thicken them up or thinly braced? For years I’ve used only embossed brick plastikard but for my latest project I thought I’d try laser cut 2mm MDF sheets instead. Noting the recent discussion of materials for large buildings and bracing, rather than make a mess of things I thought it best to ask first.

Cheers
Tony

Hi Tony, even if you don't brace it I would definitely paint or seal the rear side. This will hopefully stop the moisture getting in over time and the MDF warping.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Bonding different sheet materials together can prove problematic so if you did want to thicken it up by bonding to another sheet I'd use the same material of equivalent thickness.
Different materials have different expansion and contraction rates and causes warping. As an example I bonded a 2mm plastic pattern, for the pantograph miller, to a piece of 10mm mdf and it has warped.

Qualification ? :) ...as a Chippy in the old days of Formica when bonding the stuff to 3/4" blockboard we had to bond a compensation sheet on the back to keep it flat.

Col.

simond

Western Thunderer
in the old days of Formica when bonding the stuff to 3/4" blockboard we had to bond a compensation sheet on the back to keep it flat

Col,

that surprises me. I’ve just been clearing the parents’ house, and hurled out a bit of Formica covered blackboard that was from the kitchen at the house before. (Yeah, I don’t know why Dad kept it either…)

I can’t be certain of its age, but I’d guess when I was a kid so some 55 years, still flat, only one sided…

back to the MDF question, anything over about A5 size, I’d double up or brace. The roof of my shed is single ply braced, the walls are triple ply. The water tower / coal stage was a kit, I think that‘s pretty much double throughout, as the inside is laser-etched brick too.

HNY
Simon

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Personally, I would build the basic building in 60 thou Plastikard or MDF and then clad the building with brick afterwards. Regardless of plastikard or laser cut 'wood', I use Evostik contact to glue large areas. My preference is for laser-cut brick these days because the narrower cement courses prevent garish looking "white" cement in 4mm scale.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Personally, I would build the basic building in 60 thou Plastikard or MDF and then clad the building with brick afterwards. Regardless of plastikard or laser cut 'wood', I use Evostik contact to glue large areas. My preference is for laser-cut brick these days because the narrower cement courses prevent garish looking "white" cement in 4mm scale.

I find the Wills brick a bit too 3d and the mortar too thick. I tend to use the SEF sheets instead and also sand down the face a little which makes the mortar courses less pronounced.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Col,

that surprises me. I’ve just been clearing the parents’ house, and hurled out a bit of Formica covered blackboard that was from the kitchen at the house before. (Yeah, I don’t know why Dad kept it either…)

I can’t be certain of its age, but I’d guess when I was a kid so some 55 years, still flat, only one sided…

back to the MDF question, anything over about A5 size, I’d double up or brace. The roof of my shed is single ply braced, the walls are triple ply. The water tower / coal stage was a kit, I think that‘s pretty much double throughout, as the inside is laser-etched brick too.

HNY
Simon
I'm surprised your old blackboard hasn't warped Simon, was it ply wood ?....yeah my Father kept some unusual items as well :D

simond

Western Thunderer
Ah, well, maybe it was ply. Chunky. I’d guess it was 3/4 or an inch thick.

It went in a skip a couple of weeks back, so we’ll never know!

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Many thanks every one for all of your input, lots to take in and consider.

I've been spending time reading Simon’s description of building his Porth Dinllaen engine shed on the ‘other channel’ (well he does direct folk in that direction with a link) and picked up some useful tips from that – I will certainly try out your coloured Polyfilla mortar wash idea. My retaining wall will be in engineer’s blue brick with almost black coloured mortar.

No modelling got done today I’m afraid, playing catch up instead on another job. I need a 48 hour day and I'm retired ............:confused:

Tony

simond

Western Thunderer
Tony,

I hope it was helpful. I think “my” polyfilla mortar was actually an idea from Yorkshire Dave of this parish, what goes around, etc…

cheers
Simon