7mm Layouts and Dioramas by Stephen Fay, including Pontycwm, Newton Mills and St Stephens Bank

LarryG

Western Thunderer
One observation is the sheen on the locomotives, but none on the coach. It was usually the other way round. :) Coaches went through a washing plant or hand wash at regular intervals whereas locos were cleaned if there were spare men to hand. I realize the coach in your pictures is a ready-to-run product in typical matt finish, whereas the handbuilt locos have been hand painted.

Many BR maroon ex.GWR coaches deteriorated to a matt finish on the Cambrian section in the early to mid 1960's, so i don't know what was put in the water! Ex. LMS Stanier coaches due for withdrawal were often seen in a matt condition, sometimes minus lining. In the early 1970's, surviving maroon BR Mk.I coaches awaiting a repaint into corporate livery also went matt.

King John

One observation is the sheen on the locomotives, but none on the coach. It was usually the other way round. :) Coaches went through a washing plant or hand wash at regular intervals whereas locos were cleaned if there were spare men to hand. I realize the coach in your pictures is a ready-to-run product in typical matt finish, whereas the handbuilt locos have been hand painted.

Many BR maroon ex.GWR coaches deteriorated to a matt finish on the Cambrian section in the early to mid 1960's, so i don't know what was put in the water! Ex. LMS Stanier coaches due for withdrawal were often seen in a matt condition, sometimes minus lining. In the early 1970's, surviving maroon BR Mk.I coaches awaiting a repaint into corporate livery also went matt.
The coach is one of eight built to form the Royal Duchy set as could have been seen in the summer of 1957. They were all built from JLTRT MK1 kits by JLTRT. This coaching set is unfinished, as it still requires numbers, couplings, weathering and a catering vehicle to complete the train. A fellow modeller has provided me with the make up of the up "Duchy" as observed at Newton Abbot on 15th June 1957, see below.

34892 B.R. Mk.1 Corridor Brake Second
13070 B.R. Mk.1 Corridor First
9574 Ex G.W. H29 Composite Restaurant (Bow Ended)
24362 B.R. MK.1 Corridor Second
25188 B.R. Mk.1 Corridor Second
34860 B.R. Mk.1 Corridor Brake Second
25169 B.R. Mk. 1 Corridor Second
15067 B.R. Mk.1 Corridor Composite

The motive power will be Laira's 5098 Clifford Castle as depicted at Westbourne Bridge in Steve's photo above.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
A delivery of Peco concrete sleepers today, these will be used on the Torcombe branch, seeing an article recently showing a nicely maintained branch in Cornwall that had large sections relaid with concrete sleepers. I have seen some one do this before, cut off the pandrol clips and glue on two bolt chairs. I will have a chat to Rob and we may opt for the C&L chairs as they are a little smaller than the nicely moulded exactoscale chairs as seen here, I’ve got a pack of check rail chairs coming from shapeways for the curve in to Combe end tunnel so we should end up with an interesting section of track & seeing as nothing will ever move on it with a nice transition from concrete to timber sleepers.097CEF79-4CC1-4F69-868C-A277D5AF88D0.jpeg