Leeds City Transport buses of the 1960's

C

Chris Longley

Hello

I'm new to forums so this post is the very first I have ever made. I hope my post accords with your rules and offends aginst none of them.

I am bringing together a fleet of 1:76 scale 1950's Leeds City Transport buses that will - eventually, I hope - find their way onto a model of the Scott Hall Road of the 1950's Leeds. I already have many of the vehicles that ran up and down this road, but I am missing one very particular bus, number 307.

My plans involve recreating the stretch of road from Sheepscar Mills at the foot of the hill to Potternewton Fields at the top. Where my model will differ is that it will also include the never-built double track tramway for which the central reservation was designed.

So if Western Thunder members can identify an Anbrico Kit 13 (AEC/Roe H58R) bus in any state: unbuilt kit, partially built kit or a completed vehice I would be very grateful. Because it is basis of the missing bus. It will become 307 (RNW307) Leyland PD2/14 Roe H58R in the 1955 livery with full intermediate destinations for Primley Park on route 70. I have attached a photograph of sister bus 302 at Primley Park about to return to the Bus Station.

I would be even more grateful - if such an owner could be found - if that owner then turned out to be a willing seller. I hope this post accords with your standards because I have now been searching for nearly two years.

To Western Thunder, my thanks for allowing me to join your site. To everyone who sees this post I wish you and all around you safety and wellbeing in these strangest of COVID times.302.jpg

Chris Longley

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Welcome to the best place on the internet. Your model plan sounds interesting so keep posting details and include plenty of photos.

regards, Graham

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Anbrico Leeds AEC bus kit. This was from the very first batch that Tony Colbeck sent me back in the early 1970's and is around 50 years old now! I was commisioned to build & paint his display bus that is ilustrated on the box lid. I was doing this for several bus kit manufactrers at the time including Westward and Cotswold models...
WEB Anbrico AEC kit 1.jpg

Some castings have been unwrapped, but are all there, while the remainder are still in original newspaper!
WEB Anbrico AEC kit 2.jpg

Larry Goddard

Last edited:
C

Chris Longley

Anbrico Leeds AEC bus kit. This was from the very first batch that Tony Colbeck sent me back in the early 1970's and is around 50 years old now! I was commisioned to build & paint his display bus that is ilustrated on the box lid. I was doing this for several bus kit manufactrers at the time including Westward and Cotswold models...
View attachment 143628

Some castings have been unwrapped, but are all there, while the remainder are still in original newspaper!
View attachment 143629

Larry Goddard
Dear Larry Goddard

You have probably figured out that I really don't yet know how this system works. So please excuse this idiot question. Am I right in thinking your photograph is of an actual unmade Anbrico AEC/Roe Kit 13 now in 2021? Bevause if it is, it is exactly what I seek.

And does this mean that the photographs that are made up on the Anbrico website of the kit as a "32 Pudsey" are of the kit you assembled and painted?

Because they are photos of very beautiful models . And I recall so many times standing at Stonegate Road/King Lane Circus stop - when the 32s terminated there after their extension from the Carr Manor that was the Judges Lodgings for so many years - and waiting for that unique exhaust growl the members of this batch made amongst all their quieter 9613E fellows. I think the Weymann PUA examples had the same growl when I think about it ... oddly, the 650+ batch did occasionally venture onto the 34/35 Circular but I remember them mostly on the 42/66 group and on the 32s.

So here's the thing. Do the rules of Western Thunder allow me to ask if the beautiful kit you show is for sale? Or if I were to ask, would I be drummed out, cast forever into an outer bus-less darkness penetrable only by arrival of an occasional Ford/Plaxton lightweight coach to compound the eternal misery and remind me of the depth of my sin?

I hope you see my problem ... but whatever the outcome, many thanks for your response
Chris Longley

C

Chris Longley

Welcome to the best place on the internet. Your model plan sounds interesting so keep posting details and include plenty of photos.

regards, Graham
Dear Graham

Thank you for your welcome to Western Thunder. Most kind. I appreciate it.

I have "L Plates" where internet forums are concerned: this is the first to which I have belonged and actually managed to enter, if we discount the one at the Model Bus Forum (of which I'm a very recent member) and to which I've not yet been able to manage to gain access despite trying many times!

But their MBF Magazine is a regular delight when it popps through my letterbox so I'm a very contented MBF Member despite my IT skills limitations. Amd I'm sure it's me not them ...​

In addition to my never present IT skills, my fine motor skills deserted me many years ago so I am in the process of commissioning the "Scott Hall Road" layout from a professional model builder. My working Leeds City Transport fleet of six trams in 1959 livery is operational on Peco track to keep it lively.

I intend to modify some of my bus fleet with Faller motors, so the highway carriageways will have Faller guidance incorporated. And hopefully some time in 2022 there will be a ceremonial cutting of the tape by celebrities of the day to open the new dual carriageway ... I thought models of Ernest Marples MP standing next to AB Findlay (LCT GM) and Alderman Rafferty (Transport Committee Chairman) would be a suitable combination.

So thank you again for your wel

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Dear Chris,

Yes, I assembled and painted the bus shown on the box lid. I am prepared to part with the unbuilt kit. Rules of this forum dictate that I cannot ask for 'offers' for the kit. In fact, i should probably have to display the kit in the For Sale section with a price. I'll give the matter some thought.

If you can find out how to send a PM or 'Personal Mail', you could perhaps give me some idea of what you think the kit is worth to you. Just click on my Avatar or picture and then it gves the option of starting a personal conversation that no one else can see.

LarryG

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The Anbrico bus kits are very adaptable. The nearer bus was meant to build a Leeds body based on the Pullman. I added a 'Bracks' Leyand tin front to make an Oldham Corporation PD2.

The middle bus was a repainted Brackenborough bus kit while the Leyland TS8 was built from an Anbrico kit...Both Oldham Corporation. All date from early 1970's...
WEB Oldham buses 2.jpg