Life Saving Mask Modification

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Mikemill, 6 January 2021.

1. Mikemill

Mikemill Western Thunderer

Here is a life saving modification to your non medical face mask, use a piece of soft copper wire the kind you find in house mains wiring and slide it into the edge seam of your mask, then mould the wired top of the mask to your face.

This will do two things, seal your mask to your face and stop any foreign bodies in, also stop your glasses from steaming up thus proving the mask is sealed.

Try it and spread the word

Mike

P1120361A.JPG

isleofthanet, Len Cattley and AJC like this.
  2. Heather Kay

Heather Kay Western Thunderer

Interesting. I may have a go at that.

3. simond

simond Western Thunderer

Been doing it for a couple of months. Useful & simple mod. Can also use sticky tape to tape the wire to the mask. I nip the ends of the wire to the elastic both sides too.

Sorry not to have “spread the word”!

keep well
    Simon

4. michl080

michl080 Western Thunderer

certainly a good idea to spread the word and not the virus, but I propose to secure the ends of the wires with loops to protect your eyes in case something goes wrong.

Michael

5. DavidB

DavidB Western Thunderer

When I was in the Exeter Nightingale back in October & November (not infected but for a vaccine trial), several of the staff had stuck the top of their medical masks (which have a metal nosepiece already) to their cheeks with Micropore tape to stop their glasses steaming up. An added bonus is that it stops your mask slipping down.
    The integral metal nosepieces are a help but still have a tendency to 'leak'. I am forever pinching mine back to the shape of my nose.

6. Max Midnight

Max Midnight Western Thunderer

The down side of the mod is that when your wife, who went through a phase of making masks, discovers that you have a supply of suitable wire it soon gets used up!
    That said it's probably better than her attacking the twin and earth in the house wiring. :eek:

Len Cattley, adrian and simond like this.
  7. Western age

Western age Active Member

Think you will find the pores in the mask are small enough to let the virus through , unless you you use proper material. The 'blue' square ones have two wires already in the the upper piece of the mask.

BrushType4 likes this.
  8. Giles

Giles Western Thunderer

My wife made us masks which were sort of tailored to an axe shape, with wire in the nose, and I got her some proper Hepa filter material to interleaf. They seal pretty well, and have a decent surface area to allow sufficient air to filter through.

Di is Head of Wardrobe at Rada, so she's quite hot at the mechanical side of making such things.

Peter Cross and simond like this.
  9. Osgood

Osgood Western Thunderer

Mrs O did a mod on my mask a week back when I had a couple of meetings at work.
    Someone had recommended inserting a piece of kitchen towel in between the two layers of fabric to improve its efficiency.

I had a one hour meeting outside well wrapped up but in a wintery breeze, then spent another hour talking and walking with another visitor.
    Towards the end I started to have trouble catching my breath and talking - it got progressively worse and worse and I began to get seriously worried.

Luckily the guy left shortly after and I zipped back into the workshop and yanked my mask off .
    Suddenly I found I could breath again, and I discovered my mask was soaking wet - the moisture had started to seal the paper towel up!

Phew......

Brian McKenzie and Len Cattley like this.