Lights for 7mm diesels

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Let us start with a rather nice photo...

class 50 at basingstoke.jpg
50049 and 50007 at Basingstoke in March 2019. © Justin Foulger, image from Hattons website.

Of interest at this time are the high visibility headlight and the two "domino"s above the cab windows. Peter (@Spike) is building his JLTRT kit for a refurbished engine, likely to be 50032 Courageous in Large Logo blue, the current work is concentrating on the cabs and specifically the lights.

Has anyone fitted lights to a re-furb 50? If so, what did you use to represent the flat front lense for the hi-vis headlight? and for the translucent areas in the headcode box?

At the moment we are thinking of using SMD-LEDs - bright white for the hi-vis and warm white for the dominos - with the hi-vis LED mounted on a removable plate attached to the "back" of the control desk and with LEDs as a source for a fibre optic light pipe through the headcode box.

Brian (@Brian Daniels), what advice can you offer?

Suggestions welcome, regards, Graham

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham

I use some white nylon to represent the dominos, don't forget the black seals they really give the correct effect to them.

I turn the nylon to size in the lathe, I have used it on a few 37s, in reality in daylight you can't really see the lights.

I haven't done anything with a high viz headlight yet.

Richard

Bill Campbell

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham

The front (dome) of a suitably sized ordinary LED can be filed flat so that it can be fitted directly for a light source - just be careful not to go as far back as the light source in the centre of the LED. The filed face of the LED can be polished for a clear finish or rubbed on fine emery paper for a diffused effect. The intensity of the light output can be adjusted using resistors in the first instance to get the approximate light level and then fine-tuned with the appropriate CV setting.

This is my Easybuild 105 with bi-colour (white and red) LEDs.

DMU lighting check head 2.jpg DMU lighting check tail 2.jpg

Regards.