paulc

Western Thunderer
Apart from pressing the likes button is there something else i should do ? People will be thinking that I'm a miserable whatsit but the counter has been stuck on 27 for at leasr two weeks since i noticed and i dont know how long before that and i really do like a lot of the stuff on here , honest .
Cheers Paul

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Think you'll find that the 'likes' counter is for the 'likes' you've received - not how many times you hit the like button.

If I've interpreted your comments correctly.

Bests
Baz

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Apart from pressing the likes button is there something else i should do ? People will be thinking that I'm a miserable whatsit but the counter has been stuck on 27 for at leasr two weeks since i noticed and i dont know how long before that and i really do like a lot of the stuff on here , honest .
Cheers Paul
Pressing the ‘like’ is good if you just want to show support to the poster but I’d rather you commented on my posts even if it’s constructive critique, :thumbs:

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Pressing the ‘like’ is good if you just want to show support to the poster but I’d rather you commented on my posts even if it’s constructive critique, :thumbs:

Totally agree. A "like" is nice, but a response is so much better, especially for people who might be working alone. I know I use the feedback I get to try and make my next contribution better than the previous one, this helps push my modelling to a higher standard.

John

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I generally hit "like" to acknowledge I, um, like the content of the post. I rarely have anything I could add to that. Indeed, other forums tend to have folk who post "great job", "nice", "fantastic" and so on without adding to the sum of human knowledge but adding to the sum of their own post counts. I much prefer a straight "like" in such circumstances, and derive sufficient pleasure from receiving them to make me feel posting something was worthwhile.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
I generally hit "like" to acknowledge I, um, like the content of the post. I rarely have anything I could add to that. Indeed, other forums tend to have folk who post "great job", "nice", "fantastic" and so on without adding to the sum of human knowledge but adding to the sum of their own post counts. I much prefer a straight "like" in such circumstances, and derive sufficient pleasure from receiving them to make me feel posting something was worthwhile.

I concur. Totally.
But now I'm in a quandry (it's like a Swandri but you get wet). I've liked Heather's post AND commented. Tell me I'm not hoist by my own petard (the vets bills are horrendous), please.

Cheers

Jan

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Pretty much sums up why The Guv set up the 'like' button right at the beginning of this Forum's existance; to acknowledge a post for it's content without filling the Forum with lots of 'me too' posts. If I recall correctly he decided against the plethora of other similar buttons (as available Over There, & probably elsewhere) as more 'clutter' & possibly open to abuse - at that time I think there was a 'disagree' button Over There which became rather contentious.
As WT's Golden Rule was (still is) "Play Nicely", a lot of 'response buttons' seemed a bit superfluous anyway. :rolleyes: ;)

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Agree @Jordan , the 'like' button is better than 'me too' posts. I would like to see more interaction and conversation on posts that further the modelling quality. Suggestions and constructive criticism is welcome as long as the golden rule applies.

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Agree @Jordan , the 'like' button is better than 'me too' posts. I would like to see more interaction and conversation on posts that further the modelling quality. Suggestions and constructive criticism is welcome as long as the golden rule applies.

Again - "what he said!" (or is that just another way to say me too?)

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
One thing that I like about likes, is that you can go back to an earlier post, pop a like on it, and the post comes rushing up to the front of the recent activity page, where I guess most of us visit first.

It is a bit like rummaging around in the attic for something lost, and finding something much more interesting! You can then call out:

"Hey folks, look what I've just found...!"

Pete.