Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Victory 704.

davey4270

Western Thunderer
I am in the process of building a 7mm model from an ancient Gateneal kit of the above locomotive. I know of only 3 photographs of this rather camera shy specimen and hope there are some more out there to help detail this poor quality and inaccurate model. The 3 pics I have are at Bury Port in L&MMR days, early GWR at Duffryn yard and later GWR with the roundel at Neath N&B.
Any further views would assist with detailing, particularly a rear view or a tank top view which would answer the question of if the space between the tank tops and the boiler was covered to prevent water ingress to the motion as on most GWR side tanks. A lot of pre grouping Welsh Railway locomotives didn't have this feature.

Thanks in advance,

David.

davey4270

Western Thunderer
Progress so far. I’ve rolled the boiler although the formers are too small so new ones required, it fits in the location ring on the cab front spectacle plate and is just resting on the front chassis screw. One side tank attached and the chassis is fitted with Slater’s horn blocks on leading and centre axles with jointed rods using the easy option of splitting them on the centre crank pin.

IMG_4225.jpg

davey4270

Western Thunderer
The build was paused while the contract to construct a pair of 1366 class pannier tanks for the GWR was completed. See my blog elsewhere on this site.
Progress has been made but for some reason or other, I haven't been updating it on this site. Hopefully a brief summary with the pictures will suffice.

IMG_4261.jpg
A rear view similar to my last post but showing that both tanks are now attached along with the firebox. This also shows that there is no inside to the tanks. There were narrow tanks fitted to the prototype and there was no covering plate between the boiler side and the tanks like with the GWR prairies so the gap is very visible. Also visible is the head of the screw passing through the firebox into a captive nut in the back of the boiler which holds it against the cab front.

IMG_4273.jpg
The cab rear/bunker front in place also showing a scratch built inner tank side and the etched circle on the cab front which locates the rear of the boiler.

IMG_4282.jpg
A front view with the model mounted on its free rolling chassis. This was set up with jointed rods and Slater's sprung horn blocks on the leading and central axles. The slightly oversize smokebox door will be replaced with a more accurate 3D printed specimen kindly supplied by Mike Morris of 88D Models.

IMG_4283.jpg
A rear view taken at the same time showing the bunker rear in place. This is the point in the build that it was paused to construct the pair of 1366 class panniers. See the blog elsewhere. A scratch built cab floor has also been added.

IMG_5868.jpg
During the construction of the 1366's advantage was taken to paint the frames, reassemble and motorise at the same time. A Taff Vale Models 18/33 type motor was fitted along with a Markits 40:1 gearbox. I also added the rear lamp irons at the same time as fitting the 1366 class lamp irons and while my soldering iron was hot, added the buffer housings. The cast firebox back head will permanently be glued into place after final painting of the model and will cover access to the rear boiler retaining screw when it no longer needs to be removed.