4mm Llanfair ....

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Larry, does the elimination of the outdoor loops mean you are maintaining the layout as a terminus to fiddle yard?

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry, does the elimination of the outdoor loops mean you are maintaining the layout as a terminus to fiddle yard?
Long before I started building garden loops, I had a large rectangular shelf attached outside the shed wall and ran a loop of track around it to the fiddle yard. This is what I intend doing again. The beauty of such a construction is it can be full enclosed with a transparent lid (lean-too sheeting) so that trains can operated any in weather and there is no draft, wasp & bee ingress.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Progress has been done in between the storms. I bought a chainsaw but couldn't use it for four days! Anyway, it made short work of the posts and the remains of the holes were then filled in. This morning's job was buying tongue & groove from Llandudno Junction for replacing the railway holes in the shed. Then this afternoon I mowed the lawns. The garden looks civilized again...
WEB Garden loop 5.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Nearly forgot to mention the slates arrived, so the roof has been completed together with two further chimney stacks. Additional brick cladding was done with Slaters embossed brick sheet. I've run out of pots though!
WEB Llanfair Rd 4A.jpg

The building was built left handed with the station masters house on the left. Pity really 'cos now the layout will be right handed. Luckily I had time to change my order with Intentio for the signalbox...
WEB Llanfair Rd 4B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Now that the outside loops have gone and no longer govern the height of the in-shed baseboard, it has been lowered a good 4 inches this afternoon along with the backscene. The baseboard on the other side will follow.

I have a spare office chair that can now be pressed into use in the shed.

WEB Baseboard 2.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry , i presume the lowering exercise is so you can sit to operate the layout ? I ask as most people raise their layout to bring it closer to eye level .
Personally i think sitting and operating at eye level is a great idea , clever man .
Cheers Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul. In the past, the baseboard was too high when I sat down. I got carried away with the excessive height and unsightly railway mess outside in the garden. The back now garden looks civilized again. The 14ft shed is plenty big enough for the small operation I have in mind and a loop to the fiddle yard will be contained within the shed.

The advent of a ready-to-run GWR Manor 4-6-0 means I will no longer have to run Halls and Granges and can now plan for a blue route layout.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
4mm scale Cambrian Railway signal box.

A kit for Barmouth South Signalbox arrived today from Intentio. With no instructions, I laid the parts out for easy identification....
WEB Llanfair Rd box 1.jpg

The inner walls were assembled first around the lever frame floor...
WEB Llanfair Rd box 2.jpg

Followed by the outer skin. The bricks are on much thinner material than I have encountered before. All the parts are precision cut...
WEB Llanfair Rd box 3.jpg

The vestibule was assembled but not glued to the main building.. Instead, it will form part of the roof...
WEB Llanfair Rd box 4.jpg

Normally I struggle with lasercut steps but these went together well and were glued with Loctite....
WEB Llanfair Rd box 5.jpg

It is a very small signalbox with a footprints of 2¼" X 1¾"

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Bargeboards were cut from the thinnest fret while guttering is 40thou Plastikard rounded off at the leading edge....

WEB Llanfair Rd box 6.jpg

The square pegs on top of the walls were removed and the roof assembled around triangular formers. This of course is to facilitate the fitting of glazing material and interior.....
WEB Llanfair Rd box 7.jpg

It will be tidied up and sprayed when the glue is hard. The parts were mostly assembled with UHU Wood glue...
WEB Llanfair Rd box 8.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry,

which/why Loctite?

cherrs
Simon
Loctite Super glue. Each step was held in tweezers and one end dipped in a blob of Loctite before placing into each slot. It all set very quickly. Then the other side of the steps were eased into the remaining staircase stringer and Loctite run across the slots and wiped clean.

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Larry,

they make so many different products, I never thought of cyano!

cheers
Simon

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Thanks Larry, that's really useful. This is one of the closest looking signal boxes to the type used on Hengoed HL. I say closest looking, because I've been unable to get a good photo of it and the video is literally a fleeting glance.

Mike