4mm Llanfair ....

Longbow

Western Thunderer
Given that their showroom was closed, I'd say you have no cause for complaint. Try turning up at an Amazon warehouse and asking for instant back door delivery! These big online warehouses operate in a highly structured way and simply aren't equipped to fulfil ad hoc orders immediately.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Given that their showroom was closed, I'd say you have no cause for complaint. Try turning up at an Amazon warehouse and asking for instant back door delivery! These big online warehouses operate in a highly structured way and simply aren't equipped to fulfil ad hoc orders immediately.

You can't compare Hattons with Amazon. Hattons are retailers whereas Amazon are distributors. They are a warehouse not a shop to which thd public would ordinarily expect to have access, unlike Hattons.
I think Jonte's phone call was reasonable in the circumstances .

I have found Hattons a bit hit and miss in terms of cutomer service. It depends very much on whom you speak to.

For that reason I don't deal with them very often.

Very much an exception to be honest.

Rob.

jonte

Western Thunderer

Thank you, Longbow, for your input and welcome to Western Thunder.

Just me in conversation as we tend to do on this backwater of forums.

Wasn’t looking for a response or discussion; we don’t do differences of opinion here - especially those accompanied by exclamation marks ;)

I’m sure you will find us a refreshing change and remember: the currency here is photographs :thumbs:

Good luck!

Jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
You can't compare Hattons with Amazon. Hattons are retailers whereas Amazon are distributors. They are a warehouse not a shop to which thd public would ordinarily expect to have access, unlike Hattons.
I think Jonte's phone call was reasonable in the circumstances .

I have found Hattons a bit hit and miss in terms of cutomer service. It depends very much on whom you speak to.

For that reason I don't deal with them very often.

Very much an exception to be honest.

Rob.

Bless you, Rob :)

‘Jonters’

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you, Longbow, for your input and welcome to Western Thunder.

Just me in conversation as we tend to do on this backwater of forums.

Wasn’t looking for a response or discussion; we don’t do differences of opinion here - especially those accompanied by exclamation marks ;)

I’m sure you will find us a refreshing change and remember: the currency here is photographs :thumbs:

Good luck!

Jonte
Well, Jonte, I have to say that we certainly do differing opinions, otherwise the whole forum would be very sterile. The trick which we all know is that any such disagreements are never personal and we'll never fall out over them. Most active members comment on postings all the time.

It'd be a sad world if everyone agreed with me all the time - or ever!

Brian

jonte

Western Thunderer
Well, Jonte, I have to say that we certainly do differing opinions, otherwise the whole forum would be very sterile. The trick which we all know is that any such disagreements are never personal and we'll never fall out over them. Most active members comment on postings all the time.

Brian

Thank you, Brian.

I stand corrected ;)

Best

Jonte

NHY 581

Western Thunderer

Brian

I feel compelled to disagree..............

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Been juggling bits of track around for a couple of weeks. The real Llanfyllin would need around 25 feet. 14 turnouts in my small space would look like Chatham junction, so I'm down to 9 turnouts to keep the rural look. Cutting & fitting rail joiners has started now that I'm satisfied.

While the branch service is normally two non-corridor coaches, allowance has been made for 4-coach corridor excursion trains plus stabling. The ex.engine shed road (nearest the backscene) is one suitable siding and the long curving coal road is another (in the event of two excursions). The track alongside the station loop would make another coach storage siding, altough its real function is for making up outward bound goods trains. My interest in coaching stock is showing here!
WEB Llanfair Rd 12A.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The branch sets have already been made.
E147 brake composites B-set...
WEB D147 B-set.jpg

Full third and E157 brake composite...
WEB E157 & 3rd..jpg

D91 bow-end brake third and E157 brake composite...
WEB E157 and bk 3rd.jpg

D91 bow-end brake third (spare vehicle)
WEB D91 bk 3rd.jpg

I would dearly love a Hawksworth 10-compartment full third to put with one of the E157/s, but.....
WEB C83 Hawksworth 3rd.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Its about time Peco realized its standard code 75 rail joiners are far too tight a fit in it bullhead rail. This rail joiner problem became apparent to me back in 2017 when I had previously had no problems sliding Peco rail joiners on SMP bullhead rails.

While struggling to hitch together a string of track and points, injuries to my right hand have been mounting up after each slip of the pliers.

What price realism? I foresee massive problems when it is split down into sections for gluing and ballasting in one go.

Last edited:

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Larry,

Hopefully once you have fitted them once, when you come to put it together a 2nd time, it should be easier.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry,

Hopefully once you have fitted them once, when you come to put it together a 2nd time, it should be easier.
There is that Phil, but the joins will not be as secure anymore. Add to that the floppiness of Peco's bullhead stuff compared with SMP bullhead and the problems of lining everything up before the PVA goes off and prevents much ballast adhering.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I don't know much about the Peco 'OO' bullhead rail - is it designed to use code 100 rather than code 75 track joiners? I do know their O gauge setrack range uses code 100 track joiners.

It may be a case of using what you are comfortable with and create a bit of fiction whereby the branch was laid with FB rail as an experiment.

AJC

Western Thunderer
I don't know much about the Peco 'OO' bullhead rail - is it designed to use code 100 rather than code 75 track joiners? I do know their O gauge setrack range uses code 100 track joiners.

It may be a case of using what you are comfortable with and create a bit of fiction whereby the branch was laid with FB rail as an experiment.

An aside to all this, but PECO Bullhead track has special rail joiners for the job which are excellent for my purposes - I've used them for my EM layout - and ensure horizontal and vertical alignment (item SI-114). Obviously I haven't used them with PECO's own bullhead track - I have more than enough legacy stuff to need to buy any of the EM product yet.

Adam