4mm Llanfair ....

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry , lovely job as usual . Can i ask , do you airbrush the sides of the rail or just a brush by hand ?
I ask as i am almost at that point but have never painted the side of the track on previous layouts .
Cheers Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry , lovely job as usual . Can i ask , do you airbrush the sides of the rail or just a brush by hand ?
I ask as i am almost at that point but have never painted the side of the track on previous layouts .
Cheers Paul
I brush Rusty Rails paint on.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Cork trackbed was cut away between the track and bevelled before gluing ballast to it. Ground 'cover' is grey cellulose brushed on and then weathered with the spraygun while weathering the track. The base of the water tank legs were weathered too...

WEB Tracklay 13A.jpg

The bevelled edge to the running line continies around the curve now. Once again, the cess is grey paint weathered with the colour I use on coach and wagon underframes...
WEB Tracklay 13B.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I had two more goes at the ground cover under the water tank before using ballast. It fits in with the rest of the area and keeps the layout looking bright....

WEB Test colours 6.jpg

One outcome was to use a much lighter grey for the drainage cess and then tint it with rust colour.
WEB Test colours 5.jpg

Corwen, not a million miles away from the place I am modelling, and an Oswestry-based loco that worked the Llanfyllin branch...
WEB Llangollen line 3.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Okay thanks Mike. It's the spraygun that makes the difference., but carrying the "portable" compressor across the lawn isn't recommended on a regular basis.

I wanted some neat GWR buffer stops, but hit the buffers with one manufacturer only producing 7mm (and why not) while another website left me in the dark as how to place an order. Peco get the business as usual.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave and Adam. I recognised the Lanarkshire page and so I checked my statements. I had ordered from Lanarkshire models after all. Old age thing...! Sorreee. :(

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Fitted point rodding this afternoon to manually activate the turnouts...

WEB Points 4B.jpg

Round brass rod was soldered to the point end. The other end was looped and soldered shut. Peco nails are rodding guides...
WEB Points 1.jpg

All nine points activated. The ends at the baseboard edge will be hidden under shallow embankment eventually. Still to be fitted are electrical changeover switches to change frog polarity...
WEB Points 4.jpg

Last edited:

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Larry,

Some of our older club layouts used double pole slide switches, with a hole drilled through it to activate the turnout and change the polarity. we started off drilling the hole along the axis of the switch and using BA nuts on the wire to set the turnout throw and then drilled the hole across the switch and introduced a rough and ready omega loop into the actuating wire, at the switch end.

simond

Western Thunderer
I’ve seen that before, it works well, and ensures switch and blades Move together.

it fits the KISS philosophy!

Edit due to bluddy smellchequer

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
I sympathise. I’m younger, yet have very little motivation to go out to the garage & do stuff this afternoon.

It seems we have autumn already, despite the disappointing lack of summer…

despite which, Phil’s suggestion is a good one.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
What I found was if track is laid in new clean ballast, it is easily weathered with a spraygun to whatever condition we want afterwards. It's like painting a loco ex works before weathering it. When I think back six years or more to when I used dark brown ballast everywhere, it was small wonder my layouts looked terribly depressing.:)

Last edited: