4mm Llanfair Road.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I do think B&C is an underrated and little seen livery on layouts. I understand it didn't work well on the really thing (dirt and fading) but hey still looks good on your models Larry.
I'm not sure if it was a case of blood & custard not working well, or if it was overtaken by events in 1956 wen the regions were given more autonomy over their affairs. As expected, the Southern Region adopted green, which was a mostly green region anyway becasue of its re-varnishing malachite stock. The London Midland adopted the old LMS "maroon", as did the Eastern and the the Western ~ except for a flirtation with brown & cream.

Blood & custard actually had a long life on three of the regions. I recall run-down looking Gresleys on Sunday Manchester Exchange to Abergele Sanatorium trains around 1960, LMS 2-window open stock on Bangor-Afon Wen trains around 1962 and GWR sunshine coaches on the Cambrian in 1963.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I cut strips of plastikard 10thou square and use pieces for hinges, destination board brackets and the sliding window baffles. Attached with Loctite Ehthyl-2-Cyanoasrylate, they won't budge afterwards.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The GWR D121 corridor brake third completed two days ago had the lower edge of the deep corridor windows on a slightly lower waist line than the D124 which followed, and this is clearly seen by the increased depth of cream above the windows when compared with the D124...

WEB GWR D121 11.jpg

The D124 had a slightly higher waistline. This coach was completed today....
WEB GWR D124 3.jpg

Baffles were fitted to the sliding vents as previously and also on the lavatory window. This coach is more heavily weathered than the D121...
WEB GWR D124 4.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Further to the above, This picture of a D121 clearly shows the lower waistline than on the two adjacent coaches. The bottom edge of the windows was roughly 2ft 8ins, give or take a few fractions, on most coaches built after the D121's.

The middle coach also shows the lower roof profile of Collett's 'yellow disc' stock which was acceptable widely across the country on other railways lines...

WEB GWR D121 12.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
GWR D121 and D124 on the layout showing the different waists....
WEB GWR D121 14.jpg

The GWR E147 B-set has been back-engineered into carmine. Lined maroon didn't do it for me even though I dont mind it on corridor stock...
WEB GWR E147 9B.jpg

Photographed this morning on the layout with sunlight (apparently) streaming across the hillside...
WEB GWR E147 9.jpg

Last edited: