4mm Llanfair ....

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I didn't want the cattle dock to stand out like a sore thumb, hence the use of dark colours....
View attachment 168455

Morning Larry, there's a lot to be said for muted colours IMO. Makes everything settle into the scene.

I do really like the views at the far terminal end of the station. The parallel lines and walls and dock are very reminiscent of Bodmin North, on which my own 7mm effort, Pencarrow, is based.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Morning Larry, there's a lot to be said for muted colours IMO. Makes everything settle into the scene.

I do really like the views at the far terminal end of the station. The parallel lines and walls and dock are very reminiscent of Bodmin North, on which my own 7mm effort, Pencarrow, is based.
Hi Chris, yes I did notice there were similarities when I bought some W.Region colour albums a few years ago. I liked the back shunt at Bodmin where a B-set could be held over.

Last edited:

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
Wow Larry the layout is really coming together now and have to agree that the dulled down colours do make a massive impression on the overall scene and atmosphere.
The rate of progress has to be compared to Andy Peters but please don’t follow his trend of ripping it all up once it’s finished :headbang:;)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Wow Larry the layout is really coming together now and have to agree that the dulled down colours do make a massive impression on the overall scene and atmosphere.
The rate of progress has to be compared to Andy Peters but please don’t follow his trend of ripping it all up once it’s finished :headbang:;)
Thanks Gismo. I was never a layout man, preferring to be a workbench modeller. But when my late wife retired, a layout in a shed seemed like a good idea so that we would be together. As things stand, I dip in here and there as the mood takes me. At the mo, I am agonizing over the colour of a Pagoda Shed......What are we modellers like.......:D

Dai88D

Western Thunderer
I like the coal office near the weighbridge (and therefore also close to the yard entrance).
I may be wrong, but I would assume that the railway also liked such an arrangement, as it prevented coal seeking customers from just wandering around the goods yard.
Agree, but they are a tad too close. Would be difficult to do wall repairs in real life eith them that close.

simond

Western Thunderer
You've puzzled me here. No matter how I read those words, I don't know what you are saying.... :cool::)
Well, I thought the photo looked great and hit the “like” button.

But then I understood you to say you’d knocked the shed off the baseboard so the “like” seemed inappropriate!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Ah, I understand how 'like' fits in the sentence now. :thumbs: The poor goods shed has been through the wars, but at least it bounces!

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Putting the cattle dock on a goods platform at the back of the layout caused things to stall. The layout looked better without it, so I messed around superimposing the cattle pens on other parts of the layout using Photoshop.. Seeing as cattle was not carried as much as in the past, the cattle pens would not impede the loading of parcels...
WEB Cattle dock 9A.jpg

WEB Cattle dock 9B.jpg

The goods shed has had the office & chimney returned to the other end and things are on hold again...
WEB Cattle Dock 9C.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
In my view the photoshopped/re-sited cattle dock looks better as it keeps all of the goods yard traffic away from the passengers and is now looking more like a country terminus.

I presume parcels can either be loaded from the station platform (as there is a double gate on this side of the station building) or the loading dock where the wagon is standing.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Apologies.....I should have made it clear that the images I posted were of the re-sited cattle pen. Photoshopped image merely helped me make up my mind. I agree the cattle dock does look better where it is.