4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
INSPIRATION:
The Cambrian terminus at Llanfyllyn provided the inspiration for my model. Set in the hills of northern Montgomeryshire, it is Llanfyllin by any other name, but with a bit of added importance! 'Llanfair Road' was chosen as a working title but it is not appropriate for a terminus so it will be Llanfair.

The layout represents a make-believe standard gauge branch from Welshpool to LLanfair. There were in fact several standard gauge proposals plus one for a broad gauge line. Anyway, my fictional line was completed as a joint line between the Cambs, GWR and LNWR and was later upgraded to blue route like the Shrewsbury- Buttington Junction-Welshpool section.

Traffic:
Branch trains in BR days were normally two-coach non-corridor stock. Maybe there wil be through train beyond Welshpool eastwards to Oswestry and Shrewsbury.

Llanfair became a manufacturing town in the 1930's after the semi-derelict Workhouse became a manufacturer of waterproof clothing under the tradename Weramac. By the early 1950's, the daily output from Weramac required a parcel van to be left in one of the bays each weekday.

POST-NATIONALIZATION:
The period of the layout is circa 1958-9.

MOTIVE POWER:
4mm scale : GWR blue route.

OBJECTIVES:
DCC control for smooth operation of mechanisms.
WEB Station 1.jpg

Not a blow-by-blow construction, but just to say I am using the base of the building to position walls until the UHU Wood glue is set. It has to be removable so glazing can be fitted after spraying...
WEB Station 2.jpg

Holding the roof down while it sets. It will only glued to the walls after painting and glazing...
WEB Station 3.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The 'Laser Cut Railway Models' stationmasters house makes up into quite a dinky model. It has been made up as per instructions so far. The assembled roof has been plonked on. Total building footprint when completed (including waiting room, booking office and external Gents will be 150mm wide by 260mm long ....

WEB Station 4.jpg

The framework after narrowing to suit 4mm.
WEB Layout 3.jpg

In between waiting for the station building glue to set, I put up the backscene. It was rearranged to put all the trees at the station end, hence the mismatch half way along. A spot of hand painting to complete the tree won't hurt...
WEB Layout 4.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The components buildings ready to be glued together. The roof is glued down on the waiting room, as I can access te inside to fit glazing from below...
WEB Station 5D.jpg

Below shows how it is meant to be, but I aim to give it more of a Cambrian flavour...
WEB Station 5H.jpg

I turned the middle section back to front so that the roof came down to form a canopy. To do this, the roof had to be put on upside down...
WEB Station 5J.jpg

The short roof lights were removed and the canopy overhang shortened. Also note that the decorative road entrance is now on the platform side...
WEB Station 5K.jpg ...

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Chimneys and guttering take up more time than assembling the building and it ain't near finished yet! I am awaiting more slates so the job's stopped now. As a guide, a single pack covered the roof area shown, so at least two packs are required. Below is the platform side...

WEB Station 6B.jpg

The road entrance...
WEB Station 6C.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Shed completed today except for roof slates. The roof lights were blocked in with spare wood and the roof extended to overlap the modified ends...
WEB Goods shed new 4.jpg

Drainpipes and guttering added. Office steps have been set aside for safe keeping...
WEB Goods shed new 5.jpg

I retained the windows on this side. Roofing slates will be completed in the morning...
WEB Goods shed new 6.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Slates put on goods shed roof at last so it is another job out of the way.

I have re-written the OP owing to changed circumstances. If this layout ever gets off the ground, it will be a very simple affair mostly built within the shed area as a cameo to fiddle yard.

WEB Goods shed 14.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The station building was too wide pushing the tracks out too far from the backscene and wasting valuable baseboard. So I sawed a chunk off the back...

WEB  OO Station 1.jpg

Foamboard provided a neat fitting back, which wont be seen, then the corner stones were added.....
WEB OO Station 2.jpg

A window was bricked up so that the Gents lavatory could be re-fitted...
WEB OO Station 3.jpg

OO slates will be finished off when new sheets arrive...
WEB OO Station 4.jpg

The Station Masters house...
WEB OO Station 5.jpg

Testing things ...
WEB OO Station 6.jpg

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Only just discovered the new thread, Larry! Where have I been? All looking good, lovely customization of the buildings to give them the "Welshpool" Cambrian look.

Paul

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I replaced many of the fencing panels a few weeks ago as part of a project to make the back garden look more civilized. This mess of a garden loop is about to be demolished.
WEB Garden loop 4.jpg

The bottom end of the shed is depressing and so the station has been roughly laid out at the well-lit door end. It might even resemble Llanfyllin now that it's the right way round. Timber is to hand the widen the baseboard slightly around the goods shed...
WEB Llanfair Rd 1.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The baseboard at the bottom end was narrowed to 16" width while eight feet at the door end was widened 2½" for the goods yard. 1/8" cork was glued to the top surface. It will be sanded down level tomorrow. It was all I had time for today...
WEB Llanfair Rd 2.jpg

Last edited: