4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A little stocking filler built tonight for Llanfair yard. It's an Intentio Coal Office. Guttering etc needs to be added. Nameboard and chimney stack come off for painting separately. Same with door and window frames. Everything fitted like a glove...
WEB Coal Office 1.jpg

I have built a few of these in my time but this is the first in 4mm. I won't be using the base.....
WEB Coal Office 2.jpg

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Larry, Looking good! On this building the base was a concrete pad so its perfectly prototypical. Blend in with crud and dirt. The top doesnt need to be glued to this so can be removed if needed.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The base was a good idea, but I don't always use them except for keeping the buildings square during assembly.

Grahams is looking good. The dodgy drainpipe and spillage marks on the brickwork are neat touches.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The new Coal Office has a touch of the Spotty Muldoons as it stands and is in need of more work. But I am happy with the sign board in it's weatherworn GWR dark stone

Mr.Pearce Senior was a proud man. His father had shares in the Great Western and so he kept his coal office spick & span with occasional coats of GWR light stone, his excuse being the damned drivers had no excuse for crashing into his drainpipe! :p

Now that I've done this, I realize the goods sliding shed doors need toning down. Yup, they do slide....

WEB Coal Hut 6.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Well it's November tomorrow so that's the railway shed locked up until next March. It's what I do annually. I'm still holding back on a proper title although Llanfair Moor does look favourite. It would be Llanfair Rhos in Welsh, but the Cambrian Railway (learning from the GWR) had an eye on publicity and the appeal of 'moorland' walks would stretch far beyond the borders.

I'm wedded to Llanfair, which I suppose is something, so it will survive the shutdown. It is why I continue build coaches for the layout. Ex.LMS coaches are required now for trains visiting Llanfair' from the London Midland Region.

Finally, I'm awaiting a 4mm version of a GCR laser cut weighbridge office, and that will complete the buildings around the station (apart from the station platform!).

LarryG

Western Thunderer
An LMS D1916/1946 open brake Second showing beading strips added over the panel joins to inhibit rust. MJT LMS cosmetic sideframes and my etched top plates...
WEB LMS D1916 8B.jpg

Expensive flexible corridor connections are wasted on some of my brake ends, so I fitted one off a rtr coach...
WEB LMS D1916 9.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I gave the layout an airing this morning and took a couple of photos. If nothing else, Llanfair Road makes a decent diorama! The latest addition to the LMS fleet is D1904 Open Second looking lonesome in the carriage siding...
WEB LMS D1904 8A.jpg

Against the light shot to highlight the panel repair beading so characteristic of pre-war Period III coaches in BR days...
WEB LMS D1904 8B.jpg

Silvertop roof with weathering. I used grey plus black weathering powder..
WEB LMS D1904 8C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Some of the non-corridor sets built for the Llanfair-Oswestry and Llanfair-Wrexham services. Some sets are all-second class...

WEB GWR Suburbans 1.jpg

The 1920's bow-end brake second is a repainted Hornby...
WEB GWR Suburbans 2.jpg

Another all-third set utilizing a Hawksworth all-third. Different waist heights again for added interest. Three more 'suburban's' remain to be painted...
WEB GWR Suburbans 3.jpgS

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I think this BR carmine red coach brings the curtain down on brass GWR non-corridor stock, although there is one Hornby composite coach yet to paint. This Dia C66 all-second was built around Comet etched sides and ends, and will be attached to normal service trains when extra capacity is required...

WEB GWR C66 13.jpg

Instead of gluing on 'plastikard', I used a different approach to the deep gutter and rain strips above the doors by painting them on. While glazing is more time consuming with etched-in lowered droplights, the open window do allow one to see the seating. The Hornby bogies on this coach are so realistic and I wish I had more...
WEB GWR C66 12.jpg