4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Every time I try to replace Llanfair road, I come up against obstacles. I've tried Llanfair moor, Waterhead and Welshtown (Welshpool is in Wales).

Anyway, after 13 months use, it's probably best to stick with the old familiar Llanfair. :cool::)

Last edited:

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Every time I try to replace Llanfair road, I come up against obstacles. I've tried Llanfair moor, Waterhead and Welshtown (Welshpool is in Wales).

Anyway, after 13 months use, it's probably best to stick with the old familiar Llanfair. :cool::)
Good. I was struggling to keep up. So Llanfair LG it is.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Having determined the platform height, the remainder of the structure was built. The underside shows the supports.....

WEB Llanfair platform 3.jpg

Tested in position on the layut...
WEB Llanfair platform 4.jpg

Edging slabs made from Slaters 0416 7mm scale Paving Grey...
WEB Llanfair Platform 5.jpg

When everything has dried out, the edging slabs will be filed to look as one with the 60 thou plastikard underneath...
WEB Llanfair platform 5B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The infill between the large edging slabs is Slaters 4mm 0414 Paving Grey. Many if not most of the Cambrian Railways platforms were gravel or tar-macadam. However, some were paved, and seeing as my station would be well used by Moors Barracks service personnel with kit, I went for paving...

WEB Llanfair platform 6.jpg

I was a bit tight with the paving and only laid it where it will show. It continues for about half an inch under the station building...
WEB Llanfair platform 6B.jpg

The general appearance...
WEB Llanfair Platform 6C.jpg

Ditto. I will continue building the end loading bay and coal platform before adding detail...
WEB Llanfair platform 6D.jpg

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
i have just seen the station building placed in position and have to say it looks very good. It bears a marked similarity to the old GER 1865 design of station buildings.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Alterations afoot today on the trusty goods shed. First of all, the office was put at the other end of the main shed along with the chimney The back doorway was bricked up and an end doorway created for road traffic...

WEB Llanfair Goods 1.jpg

A canopy was made from Wills SSMP216 corrugated sheet. The design is based on Cambrian railway design...
WEB llanfair Goods 2.jpg

Brick work and roof touched up and canopy painted...
WEB Llanfair Goods 3.jpg
WEB LLanfair Goods 5.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Alterations continued today after rain stopped. The tiny signalbox had been built to be platform mounted and I really wanted it back there. So for sighting purposes, the only option was to push the goods shed even further away from the running lines by half and inch and slew the siding over to suit. The new track was ballasted and grassed while the PVA was wet. you can see now why the rear loading bay was bricked up haha....

WEB Llanfair Goods 6.jpg

Another view. The new siding incorporates a straight section for the cattle dock (that piece of paper)...
WEB Llanfair Goods 6B.jpg

The other end with temporary buffer stop. There is room now for road vehicles to do a 3-point turn and reverse to the loading bay...
WEB Llanfair Goods 6C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The branch ends on land cut out of the rising moorland and so I am currently adding the terra-firma around the station and yard area. The scrap peices of chipboard differed in thickness, so the 1/8" cork was first removed from the baseboard...

WEB Llanfair yard 1.jpg

I had considered the end results in my mind when laying the sidings, but as things took shape today, it became obvious they had to be lengthened...
WEB Llanfair yard 2.jpg

The raised "earthworks" in place beside the newly extended sidings...
WEB LLanfair yard 3.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It's the time of year when the layout gets some sunshine, but the window frames spoil it for photography. The platforms are not far off being scale length, and two-coach locals only used the section of platform that lay between the runround points. All the sidings are over-long for the traffic, but real yards were often like this. There are plenty of options for stabling day excursions...
WEB LLanfair 1.jpg

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
It's the time of year when the layout gets some sunshine, but the window frames spoil it for photography. The platforms are not far off being scale length, and two-coach locals only used the section of platform that lay between the runround points. All the sidings are over-long for the traffic, but real yards were often like this. There are plenty of options for stabling day excursions...
View attachment 164816

Looks very nice, Larry. I like the 'lost' coach in the siding; very realistic.

Regards,

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Armed with a tin of Evostik Impact and a spreader, glue was spread on the cork. It was set aside on the shed floor while glue was applied to the wood. Now those who suffer from sods-law will know what happened next. I put a foot on the cork and in stepping back I put two feet on the cork! Stan Laurel couldn't have scripted it better. The mess that was left was glued to the layout and patched up afterwards.....

WEB Llanfair yard 5.jpg

The electric sander sorted out the mistiques :p:p
WEB Llanfair yard 5B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Work re-commenced on the platform this afternoon spraying it with Halfords Plastic Primer...

WEB Llanfair platform 7.jpg

A fine saw continued the courses between the edging slabs prior to painting...
WEB Llanfair platform 7B.jpg

The edging slabs were stone blocks and were sprayed the sandstone colour...
WEB Llanfair Platform 7C.jpg

When dry, they were masked off and the surface paving were sprayed a pale fawnish-grey...
WEB Llanfair platform 7D.jpg