4mm Llanfair ....

simond

Western Thunderer
Larry,

what are your thoughts about the front of the layout? I can imagine a wall (a fence would be too fragile perhaps) from the edge of the staithes in the last-but-one pic would be “appropriate” in the sense of providing a boundary?

of course, the other side of this is having a ground level edge which offers photographic opportunities.

cheers
Simon

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry,

what are your thoughts about the front of the layout? I can imagine a wall (a fence would be too fragile perhaps) from the edge of the staithes in the last-but-one pic would be “appropriate” in the sense of providing a boundary?

of course, the other side of this is having a ground level edge which offers photographic opportunities.
Yard space is already at a premium and so i decided to not bother with a wall or low embankment. You cleverly guessed it also offers ground level opportunities for photography. :thumbs::)

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
I like the coal office near the weighbridge (and therefore also close to the yard entrance).
I may be wrong, but I would assume that the railway also liked such an arrangement, as it prevented coal seeking customers from just wandering around the goods yard.

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The coalmens retreat has been bedded into the sloping ground and its door painted. The old staithes show the slope of the ground....
WEB Llanfair Rd 32C.jpg

An update to show the overall 'progress'. Some trees are still required for the top end beside station drive. Looks like the scenery colours are right going off my lawn ....
WEB Llanfair Rd 32D.jpg

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Is your lawn, supposed to be that colour? Grass down this way is a sort of light straw colour, just waiting for a fag end or a barbie to ignite it.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Hose ban here (Ampsher) started yesterday, ostensibly to save the trout in the chalk streams. Sorry for the cynicism but in truth we probably should have had a ban earlier.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I spotted a Wills kit for steps in Rhuddlan Models. £2.00....just the ticket to repair the smashed laser cut handrails.. I cut them in half and used the side rails only....

WEB Steps 1.jpg
Painted & weathered.... Yup, I know.... clumping big point rodding, but......
WEB Steps 2.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I bought a handful of Wills 4mm scale kits at Rhuddlan models and this is one of them. Actually there are two in a box. I'll be using one as the lamp mans hut...
WEB GWR tin hut 1.jpg

Sprayed GWR light and dark stone. It will be weathered once I determine where to put it....
WEB GWR Tin hut 2.jpg

I plonked the lot here merely to show the drums that come in the SS22 kit
WEB GWR Tin hut 3.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The final kit from last weeks purchases is the Ratio 502 Cattle dock, which is compatible with Plastikard and fits in neatly with my plans for a plastikard loading platform...

WEB Cattle dock 1.jpg

I will be using the rear stone-face wall panels for a matching extension to the cattle dock and have replaced them with plain Plastikard...
WEB Cattle dock 2.jpg

The approach road is already in place onto which will be added the loading platform and cattle dock...
WEB Cattle dock 3.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Now I know the extended platform fits in position, the cattle dock can be detailed indoors. A further layer of 1/8" cork sheet will build up the approach road up to the height of the cattle dock.....

WEB Cattle dock 4.jpg

The decking was then glued to the face of the platform wall (but not the track)...
WEB Cattle dock 5C.jpg

Last edited:

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Larry in your photo of July 30 when the weighbridge and hut were installed, there is a bauxite coloured mineral wagon with dimples all around the body. This is not something I’ve ever noticed before, do you have further details?
cheers
John

Rob R

Western Thunderer
John
It is an LNER 13t open.
The dimples house tie down rings on the inside (on the prototype - Larry seems to have lost his :))

Rob

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Larry in your photo of July 30 when the weighbridge and hut were installed, there is a bauxite coloured mineral wagon with dimples all around the body. This is not something I’ve ever noticed before, do you have further details?
cheers
John
The early risers have beaten me to it. There were several varieties of similar appearance with 'dimple' bodies.