4mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
In one respect it's a testament to how well the kits are designed so they 'fall together' without instructions.
Agreed although I put the inner back wall in the wrong way round initially. The parts fit together like jewelry. I would have preferred somewhat deeper mortar courses, but that's merely a personal viewpoint. They worked out okay in the end with some final dry brushing over the bricks. Still some work to do, I adopted lighter bricks as at Llanfyllin rather than the bricks at Barmouth. Also avoided all blue brick embellishments. A reminder that this building is a mere 2¼" X 1¾".....
WEB Llanfair Rd box 10.jpg

A view from this actual box after re-siting at Glydyfrdwy...
WEB Llanfair Rd box 10B.jpg

WEB Llanfair Rd box 10C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Glazed, glued together and downspout fitted...
WEB Llanfair Rd 11.jpg WEB Llanfair Rd box 12B.jpg

Cruel close up showing the delightful Cambrian embelishment to bargeboards. There isn't enough in the kit for the extension so I used the 'male' part left on the sheet...
WEB Llanfair Rd box 12C.jpg

Interior not fitted or required. Finials, stovepipe spout and gate to locker room to add later. I'm glad this is out of the way now...
WEB Llanfair Road 12.jpg

Geoff

Western Thunderer
You have a lovely little model there Larry, just wish I could work as fast as you.

Is that blue sky for real in the last photo, I ask because we got absolutely drenched in Abergele over the weekend!

Geoff

LarryG

Western Thunderer
You have a lovely little model there Larry, just wish I could work as fast as you.

Is that blue sky for real in the last photo, I ask because we got absolutely drenched in Abergele over the weekend!

Geoff
The sky is real, but it's the luck of the draw Geoff. We've had more than our fair share of rain hereabouts for too long. Peeing down this morning ~ nice by late morning.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thick glazing was glued with Evostik Impact across the back of all the door and window apertures...

WEB Llanfair Rd 10.jpg

I ran a brown line around the edge of all the window frames before dropping them onto the glazing and adding a small dab of Loctite adhesive. The upper window sashes followed. Job done. Too wet and windy for outdoor photos.

From left to right, the station masters house, booking hall with adjacent tea room & general waiting room, ladies waiting room with toilets, then external gents with two lavatory cubicles...
WEB Llanfair Rd 11B.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I'm delighted to see you've carried over the orange brick colour from your 7mm models for these buildings :thumbs:.

It could be the camera, lighting and/or the additional varnishing which may have washed out some of the weathering on the station building however I think the icing on the cake would be a few whiter patches (where the salts have leeched) on the bricks as you've achieved on the signal box. Unless of course you haven't added a final mortar wash or finished the weathering.

web-llanfair-road-12-jpg.143212

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I have never really been happy with white or cream cement courses on 4mm scale buildings and so I decided to avoid them. A reasonable standard is adequate at this time and if I ever build another layout, the buildings will be ready.

simond

Western Thunderer
My preference is the station building. The signal box mortar seems too obvious to my eye.

of course from three coach lengths away, it may be less so.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I have never really been happy with white or cream cement courses on 4mm scale buildings and so I decided to avoid them.

I entirely agree about the mortar colour which in real life is generally a buff, sandy or grey colour and even when viewed from a few metres can disappear into the fabric of the building depending on the degree of weathering it's received. Now having said that I'll be revisiting my 7mm buildings to tone down the mortar courses :).

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Hi Larry, Just caught up, late to the Party as usual.

Firstly, I hope your keeping well my friend.
Secondly, a Good choice with keeping it all ''in Shed'' I'm sure you will benefit from that move.
And lastly, its looking so good, I love those Buildings and your new found form.

Good luck with the Build, and all things in general, keep well and stay safe.
Andy.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Kit duly arived. I think I've built five of these now! A sheet of bricks was purchased with the shed kit and so as usual the first alteraton was to replace the peaked bricks at each end with courses running parallel with the angle of the roof...
WEB Goods shed 14A.jpg

The rest of the brick sheet was used to make blank windowless walls.....
WEB Goods shed 14B.jpg
WEB Goods shed 14C.jpg
The 'church' window walls provided in the kit look nice, but they would make it easy for criminals to break into the goods shed IMV...
WEB Goods shed 14D.jpg
The roof is removable and was glued to two triangles cut from spare wood...
WEB Goods shed 14E.jpg WEB Goods shed 14F.jpg