7mm LMS Rebuilt Jubilee 7XP

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
Continuing with the 'lockdown projects' this is a David Andrews kit for a rebuilt LMS Jubilee class 7XP 4-6-0. Only two of the Jubilee class were rebuilt in 1942 with the new larger No 2A boiler, Comet and Phoenix, releasing two original boilers into the spares pool for the remainder of the class. Further production of the new No 2A taper boilers went to the Scots and Patriots as their parallel boilers became uneconomical to repair.

This model will represent Phoenix shortly after she received the 'new' BR livery of black with LNWR lining and British Railways on the tender but before the fitting of smoke deflectors. She eventually received the BR Express livery of green with orange/black/orange lining and the crest on the tender sides.

DSCN4463.JPG

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It might be worth checking out the wheels on 'Comet'. I have seen photos of this engine with non-bevel-rim wheels whereas 'Phoenix' always seemed to have Stanier Bevel-rim on drivers and bogie. On the otherhand, Phoenix had a non-rivetted Tender. Sods law!

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
It might be worth checking out the wheels on 'Comet'. I have seen photos of this engine with non-bevel-rim wheels whereas 'Phoenix' always seemed to have Stanier Bevel-rim on drivers and bogie. On the otherhand, Phoenix had a non-rivetted Tender. Sods law!
Larry, on the other hand Phoenix, according to David Clarke's book 'The Class 7 Rebuilds', clearly sates that a rivetted tender was fitted to Phoenix until 1952. I'm not sure why you would want me to check out the wheels on Comet? Fowler and Stanier wheels were interchangeable and all sorts of combination of wheel types could be seen on any of the rebuilds.
Sandy

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Yup I know that. That's why I mentioned the wheels. Depends on how important the detail is to you at the period you are modelling. Just trying to be helpful. A welded Tender was behind 'Phoenix' in the photo I saw of it with early Totem and surrounded by blood & custard coaches.

Sandy Harper

Western Thunderer
In the book it was suggested that a welded tender was attached when it obtained deflectors and green paint about 1952. My client has a photo of the loco taken in December 1948 and that is the condition he wants it in. Hence the livery I described earlier.
Sandy

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
There's certainly a couple of the rebuilt Jubilees in the Tim Mills collection but I'm not quite as far as those in the process yet. They will appear in due course but the date is probably rather too late for your needs anyway - they'll be between 1958 and the early 60s.

Brian