LNER waggon


Western Thunderer
Nice to see it in use, even if without horses. The naming of horse drawn vehicles is a minefield with lots of regional variations but I don't think this can be called a cart. The LNER probably referred to it as a dray. Brewers drays are probably the most familiar small wheeled flat top wagons, similar to this but set up specifically for the convenient delivery of barrels.


Western Thunderer
Fraser, it’s a bit like calling all vacuum cleaners ‘Hoovers’.

A Cart has two wheels. If there are four wheels it’s a Waggon.

Dray is a specific type of wagon without fixed sides, but sometimes with a raised seat, for heavy loads most often seen now loaded with beer casks,
Hay Wain, of Constable fame, is a Waggon with fixed sides and racks front and rear to support loose hay or straw. However there are innumerable regional variations in name and configuration.



Western Thunderer
But if it was ex-NER it would be a lurry.
That’s interesting as in Australia it would be a lorry. Maybe it was just a GWR thing to call their 4 wheel flat topped delivery wagons drays. A dray in Australia was a heavy duty 2 wheel cart with a low sided body and large wheels but no springs, used for earth moving in construction etc. Unless the lorry was owned by a brewery when it would be called a brewer’s dray.


Western Thunderer
Hi Bill,

Almost, as Eric Morcambe, famously said "all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order".:))

I have a copy of the NER horse drawn rolling stock diagram book, and they are listed as 'Rullies'

View attachment 165698
That really is an example of local nomenclature. Did the North Eastern Railway have a different diagram book for the parts of their railway outside Yorkshire who would have called a rulley something else, probably a lorry.

Borrowed from the web:
In some areas, especially the manufacturing towns of central and northern England, the single-horse dray or trolley, also known as a ‘lorry’ or ‘rulley’, was a familiar sight from the 1880s to the early 1950s. This was a flat open vehicle, either sprung or dead-axle, having screw-down brakes in some versions but usually without a driver’s seat.

From Discovering Horse-drawn Vehicles by D.J.Smith


Western Thunderer
Well, I’ve learned something, I never knew there were 2 g’s in wagon!

Apparently it’s old English, that is if you believe any website beginning with wiki.

A very common variation from Middle English well into the 20th century (cf. Sentinel Waggon Works). The second ‘g’, like the verb form ‘shew’ for example has just mostly fallen out of use.