Loco coal wagon

Michael Osborne

Western Thunderer
image.jpeg image.jpeg I wonder if I can beg a little help from someone in our etch community. I have made a L.N.W.R loco coal wagon ( not finished ) with painted letters but would like to make another with cast letters. I have tried cutting these letters out of 20 thou plastic card but I cannot get the consistency over eight letters.
I keep reading of people who do not want to leave any unused space around the edge of a large sheet of expensive brass or nickel. Could someone etch me a set of these LOCO letters somewhere on one of their sheets. I think they were 12" tall so will be 7 mm for my needs.

adrian

Flying Squad
I have tried cutting these letters out of 20 thou plastic card but I cannot get the consistency over eight letters.
I keep reading of people who do not want to leave any unused space around the edge of a large sheet of expensive brass or nickel. Could someone etch me a set of these LOCO letters somewhere on one of their sheets.
If it helps I could laser cut some out of black plastic, it's 0.5mm so close to 20thou. Do you have a side on image/font name/drawing I could use.

I've been making my brake blocks this way from layers.
Tales from a sporadic modeller.

Michael Osborne

Western Thunderer
Adrain, thanks for the offer. I will see if I have a drawing somewhere. I am sure there will be one in the new volume of L.N.W.R wagons when it appears.
I really can't do much at present because I will be going away for six weeks next Friday. If I do dig out a drawing I will post it before I go but I had a quick look a few moments ago without success.

adrian

Flying Squad
I found this on the LNWR site
Wagons of the LNWR

but the letters fitted to the wagon doesn't match the drawing!! :( The C is more open on the drawing and the O is flattened on the side but it does give the dimensions 10 1/2" x 9". I'm sure I can work something up from that though.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Jim Richards had these cast in whitemetal about 50 years ago. Will see if I can find a set. Give me a few days.

Michael Osborne

Western Thunderer
That is very kind of you Mike. If Jim Richards had them cast that will be a double bonus. They will be accurate and will come from such a historical source. I would feel very honoured to have them.

Michael Osborne

Western Thunderer
image.jpeg I have started the second loco coal wagon. I am not sure people here want a blow by blow account on how I make my wagons so shout out if you have seen it all before.
I start was made using 100 X 250 everygreen strip to make the headstocks. I made a jig many years ago to make them quicker and all the same size and shape. A couple were made very quickly and drilled to accept A.B.S white metal buffer bodies. I think the photo explains the jig.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
Hi Mike
Yep we would like to see it all it would also be nice if you could show some of the construction photos of the LNWR castle wagon which is quite delightful
John

Michael Osborne

Western Thunderer
Hi John, I have just remembered that I have already posted both this loco coal wagon plus the cattle wagon on the R.M webb or over there as people call it. Perhaps I should wait untill I come back from Aus and do a complete new wagon. It saves going over old ground.

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Mike,

Those letters and a large mountain of other things, were bequeathed to me because, for reasons best known to himself, Jim Richards believed that I was the best person to make use of them. Well, if I can't build models using them all, then I think he would absolutely approve that I have passed them on to you. Like me, I am sure Jim would be highly delighted at your models.

Now, how can I find equally good homes for the thousands of other parts ....?

Enjoy your holiday.

Mike