Loco coal wagon

michael mott

Western Thunderer
View attachment 139183 View attachment 139182 View attachment 139185 View attachment 139186 View attachment 139184 HView attachment 139182 View attachment 139183 I have built a NSR brake van to go with the other NSR wagons. This was a long job because I made several errors and had to start again part way through.
Mike this is wonderful I am slowly working my way through your thread this model will be an inspiration for me when I get to building a brake van for my 1/32nd layout.

Michael

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Michael
How do you make such perfectly curved roofs? I always struggle with roofs and more often than not end up with a bow in them.

Jon

Michael Osborne

Western Thunderer
Jon, I have used lots of different ways over the years but the easiest way is to roll a roof is in Aluminium with a set of rollers.
The roof on my LYR brake van was made this way. I glued some plastic strips on the inside which just clips the roof in between the sides without any other means to hold it in place. Aluminium is so soft that it does bend with gentle pressure using yours fingers to correct any small imperfections. The middle roof is Aluminium with the outside pair ones are plastic from kits .20240411_122649.jpg20240411_122834.jpg20240411_122913.jpg

Allen M

Western Thunderer
I have made plasticard roofs by laying a sheet a bit over size onto a larger shaped sheet of metal. Pop the plastic on the metal, curved side up and place in a cold oven. Set convection to a low setting and turn on then watch the plastic droop to shape, turn off, allow to cool and use.
No guarantee but it has worked for me ;)
Regards
Allen

simond

Western Thunderer
I have the tin box in which a bottle of something warming was sold, and a pair of ‘er ladyship’s laddered tights, which live in said tin. Cut plasticard to appropriate dimensions, attach to outside of tin using multiple layers of legwear, ensuring the long edge is aligned with the convenient seam in the tin. Apply boiling water, internally and externally, have a cuppa with the rest of the boiling water, empty the hot water and refill with cold. Apply roof to vehicle, dry tights and return to tin.