Loco coal wagon

Discussion in 'S7 Group' started by Michael Osborne, 17 March 2018.

1. Michael Osborne

Michael Osborne Western Thunderer

image.jpeg image.jpeg The story given to me in good faith was Ken Werret' s father had a wagon repair shop and Ken lived on site in a caravan. He would sketch the basic body dimension in a note book and do the proper drawings years later from memory.
    I once made a Midland long low wagon from one of his drawings in the Model Railway News that look fine. Years later when Bob Essery published the works drawings in one of his books I compared it with his drawing, it was close but the details were in different places. Now without Ken's drawing I would never have gotten into wagon building for a long time so I am very grateful for his drawings in MRN all those years ago. If this storey is untrue I can only apologise to Ken's memory.

I have sprayed the basic body colour and I will leave it to go hard and assemble it tomorrow and paint the interior wood colour.

I should change the title of this thread to just Scratch Built Wagons reflecting the bigger picture of what I am working on.

Last edited: 6 January 2021
  2. Dog Star

Dog Star Western Thunderer

Good idea to change the title given the broad scope of what you have built in the last few years. As for the future, please consider building some GCR or GNR opens.

regards, Graham

3. Michael Osborne

image.jpeg image.jpeg Graham,
    I would love some wagons from the GNR but would go back longer and do a couple of MSLR ones too.
    I would like a 7 ton van from the latter company but I don't have a drawing. Brain Wainwright told me there is one in one of Dow's books on the GCR so when the local library's open I will see if I can order a copy.

I have done a bit more on the NSR bolster wagon with just the axleboxes and springs to fit and paint and then the numbers and lettering as well.

4. Dog Star

George wrote a three volume history of the GCR and put together a photo album on the railway - as there are no drawings in the photo album I think that Brian is referring to the trilogy which does have drawings. I have volume 3 of the history, I shall look through the drawing appendices before the weekend.

regards, Graham

5. Michael Osborne

image.jpeg image.jpeg I have finished the small bolster wagon with just a little toning down to make it look like it's been in service for a couple of years. I think it makes a good match for the dumb buffered one I made a couple of years ago.

Rob Pulham, NewportRod, AJC and 16 others like this.
  6. john lewsey

john lewsey Western Thunderer

Beautiful work Mike

7. Michael Osborne

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg H image.jpeg image.jpeg I have built a NSR brake van to go with the other NSR wagons. This was a long job because I made several errors and had to start again part way through.

8. john lewsey

This is a stunning model Mike, if any of you havent seen Mikes work on RMWeb its inspirational.
    John

9. Dog Star

Here is a link to Mike's RM Web topic called "S7 Scratch Building".

simond and john lewsey like this.
  10. Michael Osborne

image.jpeg I have just finished a small LNWR cattle wagon..

11. john lewsey

A beautiful job it is toooo

12. BG Rich

BG Rich Member

Mike,
    Lovely work on the cattle wagon (and the rest!) Based on a comment on RMweb I believe that you used an etch for the iron (?) bars at the bottom of each side. If you have run out of etches the Broad Gauge Society kit for a cattle van uses a three layer side to allow the insertion of individual bars from wire or plastic rod for the middle (bar) layer. It is not something I have tried myself but it seems a sound idea in the absence of a suitable etch. Maybe this might be helpful for future productions? I plan on making a model of the Somerset and Dorset 'high sided goods and cattle wagon' from 1866 based on the drawing in Len Tavender's book "Railway equipment drawings." which has a similar barred section but in the upper part of the sides. No roof as per your open cattle wagons but with a full height 'van' type end. Keep up the great work.
    Best wishes
    Rich

john lewsey likes this.