Book London's East End Railways - D Brennand - Parts 1&2

Neil

Western Thunderer
leer 1.jpg

Elsewhere on the forum you may have picked up on my current fascination with the railways of London. It's a relatively recent thing and it stems from London meaning trips from St Pancras which means trips to the continent. Before the CTRL London was still a gateway to Europe, with the Southern proving services to the channel ports and the Eastern to Harwich and the London docks. I therefore took a punt and ordered London's East End Railways -Part 2 - Branchlines to the Docks as I found a good deal on the internet. It's 120 pages stuffed full of inspiring images and useful maps; I defy anyone not to find something that they wouldn't think worth modelling within it. If part 2 was good I reasoned that part 1 should be too so I ordered a copy of it. Part 1 covers Liverpool Street, Stratford, Ilford and Temple Mills Yard. It's 174 pages long and every bit as good as Part 2. The strength of both volumes as I see it is that the obscure corners of the system are covered with the same sort of depth accorded to the more main line elements. The majority of the photos are from the fifties and sixties and in monchrome but there are some earlier, some later and some in colour.

leer 2.jpg
leer 3.jpg