7mm Loose Ends

28ten

Guv'nor
There is a slight lull in proceedings as I get to grips with the new spraying gear. next on the list is painting the cab interior, trailing bogie, and the cab front prior to glazing. it should be down hill all the way from here until I get to the driver figure :headbang: :lol:

28ten

Guv'nor
BR standard brakevan 7mm

Another one entering the painting queue :D The chassis is ready for primer and I am thinking of leaving the duckets off the body until after painting the body so I can glaze the windows more easily, actually im not too sure hoe to glaze the duckets :lol:

28ten

Guv'nor
I just thought I would post this to show what I will be completing after the Western. I am ashamed to say it has taken three years to get this far :oops: so I must finish it this Spring

Attachments

• MOK_14xx_5.jpg
    MOK_14xx_5.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 157
  • MOK_14xx_5.jpg
    MOK_14xx_5.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 157
B

Brinkly

That is very nice. Is that a Just Like the Real Thing kit?

Regards,

Nick

28ten

Guv'nor
Brinkly said:
That is very nice. Is that a Just Like the Real Thing kit?

Regards,

Nick
No its a Modern outlines kit. they only do 7mm now , although they used to do a 47 in 4mm back in the 80's. I dont think there is a decent 14xx in 4mm is there?

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
MOK gave me & Ross a demonstration of there kits at Telford, I was very impressed with how well thought out they are & the sheer quality of the kits :bowdown: ........shame they don't do diesels, as they are worth every penny IMO .
Phill :thumbs:

B

Brinkly

28ten said:
[quote=""Brinkly"":3w30spui]That is very nice. Is that a Just Like the Real Thing kit?

Regards,

Nick
No its a Modern outlines kit. they only do 7mm now , although they used to do a 47 in 4mm back in the 80's. I dont think there is a decent 14xx in 4mm is there?[/quote:3w30spui]

Well on David Geen's website its got on it that they have ordered a number of kits including a 48xx, but its been on there for years! I'm planning to do my Airfix models, but a decent kit would be very welcome!

Regards,

Nick

28ten

Guv'nor
Brinkly said:
[quote=""28ten"":6cvxv0o7][quote=""Brinkly"":6cvxv0o7]That is very nice. Is that a Just Like the Real Thing kit?

Regards,

Nick
No its a Modern outlines kit. they only do 7mm now , although they used to do a 47 in 4mm back in the 80's. I dont think there is a decent 14xx in 4mm is there?[/quote:6cvxv0o7]

Well on David Geen's website its got on it that they have ordered a number of kits including a 48xx, but its been on there for years! I'm planning to do my Airfix models, but a decent kit would be very welcome!

Regards,

Nick[/quote:6cvxv0o7]
There is always this it looks very good :thumbs:

rosspeacock

Modelling on a £1200 table.
Hi they are a superb kit MOK, Phill and I were drooling over them at Telford I set my heart on a Q1 which was superb.. :thumbs: :drool:

28ten

Guv'nor
rosspeacock said:
Hi they are a superb kit MOK, Phill and I were drooling over them at Telford I set my heart on a Q1 which was superb.. :thumbs: :drool:
The Q1 is nice, i just cant find an excuse to get one :( however if the 9f rumour is true, i'll make an excuse :laugh:

B

Brinkly

Gosh that is nice! :thumbs: But don't tempt me! I could spend a fortune on model railway items and kits, I found in my loft an old 55xx K's kit which my late Grandfather built back in when I was about 3-4 (20 odd years ago now) and I plan to build one of the new Comet chassis for it and get that running in P4, it weighs a ton so should be ideal for some longer 30plus wagon goods trains!

Regards,

Nick

28ten

Guv'nor
Work has resumed on this loco after a 6 month break! Having decided on 1470 I need to change a few details. I should be getting my camera back today so a few pics should follow.
Interestingly the loco carried four different liveries in ten years- GW green, lined black, plain black, and finally lined green!

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
Work has resumed on this loco after a 6 month break! Having decided on 1470 I need to change a few details. I should be getting my camera back today so a few pics should follow.
Interestingly the loco carried four different liveries in ten years- GW green, lined black, plain black, and finally lined green!

Mmmm, lined green. :drool: If I ever do a 14xx, that's the livery I'm going for. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

28ten

Guv'nor
Dan Randall said:
[quote=""28ten"":3vvs8anv]Work has resumed on this loco after a 6 month break! Having decided on 1470 I need to change a few details. I should be getting my camera back today so a few pics should follow.

Mmmm, lined green. :drool: If I ever do a 14xx, that's the livery I'm going for. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan[/quote:3vvs8anv]
Having looked at removing the topfeed and the mess it will make it may yet end up in lined green! One thing is sure I. Will never ever have an ex GWR loco in lined black!!

28ten

Guv'nor
For the first time in a week I turned on the soldering iron to do the smokebox door hinges which is a job I had put off for a bit as it meant drilling .4mm holes in lost wax castings :headbang:. the picture also shows that they are not quite straight :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_3108.JPG
    IMG_3108.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3103.JPG
    IMG_3103.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3108.JPG
    IMG_3108.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3103.JPG
    IMG_3103.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 49

Simon

Flying Squad
28ten said:
For the first time in a week I turned on the soldering iron to do the smokebox door hinges which is a job I had put off for a bit as it meant drilling .4mm holes in lost wax castings :headbang:. the picture also shows that they are not quite straight :headbang:

Well I can't see anything wrong with what you have done either - 0.4 holes in brass castings, sounds like a recipe for broken drills and no holes in my hands :lol:

This is one seriously nice model that you are building and it puts the Tower G1 one well into the shade. It is great to see more progress on it too.

28ten

Guv'nor
Simon, wasn't 'Cookie' after one in 1/32? I would find that hard to resist :D
I only broke one drill! I have been told by an engineering friend that the holes should be drilled at 90000 rpm as at that speed centrifugal force stops the drill from becoming broken.
I spent another half hour last night straightening it and I'm happier :D as far as I am concerned smokeboxes and cabs are the 'face' of an engine and they need to be spot on, which is why I can forgive the JLTRT Western for some of it's shortcomings, as the cab is the only one I have seen in any scale that gets the correct look.

28ten

Guv'nor
I decided to remove the castings and make my own hinges :headbang: 2 hours later here we are.......
Im affraid the shiny brass is difficult to photograph and i couldn't be bothered getting the tripod out.

Attachments

• IMG_3109.JPG
    IMG_3109.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3109.JPG
    IMG_3109.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 27