Louville Lane Cameo

Alan

Western Thunderer
After much cogitation and even more indolence I decided to play around with the short canopy linking the platform canopy to the parcels office. At the moment still needs a few more roof supports and nothing is stuck together at the moment. the block of wood is to give some idea of height before I make the uprights.

As you have probably guessed it will made from a carved up Dapol station canopy kit

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
That works... It gives the cramped urban look of inner city stations.

You'll probably have to 'brick up' the end windows of the parcels depot though to make the awning appear as if it was a later addition.

Simpas

Western Thunderer
Alan,

Sorry for delay in replying to your earlier post re back scenes.

In my case I sealed the 1/32" plywood back scene with PVA before pasting the paper backscene and applying it in much the same way as wallpaper. I did drop a clanger and had to remove it but it was a blessing in disguise because the second back scene I used turned out better (I thought) because it had 'other than sky' on it and it has made a bit of a difference.

Mick S.

Alan

Western Thunderer
I had a little play this evening with my new camera.

The 08 waiting patiently for its next duty. Yes I have noticed I need to do something about the cab handrail.

I couldn't have taken this one and seen what I was taking with my other camera

And this one of the new canopy (still not glued together) was hand held

and I particularly liked the fuel tankers

Alan

Western Thunderer
More work on the canopy today, Putting on the ridge and putting the glazing bars. Nothing else can now be done until it is sprayed and then the glazing can be put on and the external bars. Then I have to build the legs. As you will see the only bits of the Dapol/kitmaster Kit I used were the Girders and the A frame roof supports, the glazing bars, inside gutter and ridges were done with various sizes of Evergreen strip.

Hopefully if the weather is kind tomorrow I'll be able to get out into the garage and spray prime it and hopefully later in the day give it a coat of Tank Grey

Alan

Western Thunderer
Tonight I have been dealing with some small mistakes I made when doing the parcel office end of the platform and finishing the bricking around the edges, blocking up a couple of windows in the parcels office that will be obstructed by the new small canopy. All this whilst the cnopy glazing is drying. I still need to do the external glazing bars. Will post pix tomorrow

Alan

Western Thunderer
a closer view of the bricked up windows

Sorry about this but my normal playing about with pictures decided to play up when dealing with the previous post and I had to use a different much poorer programme, which didn't allow me to crop photos.. I decided for to give my normal programme one last try for this evening and it kicked into action. It does this occasionally. It decides my Scratch disc is full (whatever that is). My hard drive etc is pretty empty. and then it will suddenly decide everything is OK and it all works again

Simpas

Western Thunderer
The modelling's excellent.

I've recently invested a relatively small amount of money in the new Serif Affinity Photo. Seems to do a lot more than the likes of Elements including stacking, merging and opens raw files.

Mick S.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Started on the sky backscene this morning using emulsion. It started to cockle which got me slightly worried but as it dried it went flat again, thank goodness.

Some photos. I think it looks better in real life than in the pix.

I'm not sure about an horizon line as the layout will be quite high and obviously there are quite tall buildings over the bottom half of the sky. I shall cogitate over night. it is something that will be possible to do when the sky is in place. As you may be able to see I've not gone for a plain blue sky. But one with some greyish haze.
The bottom unpainted bit will be cut off before the sky is placed in position.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Back scene installed. There is just the odd buuble which can be dealt with and will be covered up by 2D scenics, More worrying all though you cannot seen it on the photos is that the extension piece had about a half mm overlap which I didn't see or feel although everything was clamped tight when it was added and with an overhead light casts a very thin shadow from overhead light(unfortunately didn't show up on the phot I took with the room lights on although you can see it with No1 eyeball. It doesn't show with the light coming through the window, a much more sideways on light. I'm not sure what to do about it Strip the backs cene off and sand everything flush, I suspect that will ruin the layout what with the damp in removing the back scene and the sanding or slightly lower the layout and have a deeper fascia. I think I'll try the latter when the roof and lights are installed and see what it looks like. Anyway a couple of photos.

First Photo: the layout stripped of buildings and covered (masked) to stop spots of glue falling on the track.

Second photo: some buildings back and lit with light from the window.

Unfortunately the photos I took with the room lights did not show the shadow so not worth posting, I'll try again later.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Thanks Simon, I'll have a look at it. My present one is a rather simple one that came with my first camera "Adobe photo delux 4." At the moment it does what I want in getting photos onto the forum. The problem I had a few days ago happens every once in a while but not very often luckily.

Alan

Western Thunderer
As I said above I would retake photos of the shadow line of the backboard extension join. Here they are:

the line across the back of the layout

and on the left hand side:

as stated in the previous post, stripping the back scene off and filling and sanding the join with all the track work and wiring done and some of the scenery (the back wall of the large canopy and the canopy uprights) permanently in place is not something I wish to contemplate. I feel the mess caused could do permanent damage to the layout.

I have been thinking about non invasive solutions and I feel lowering the layout, should it ever go to an exhibition, By a few inches so that track height would be around 50 ins and deepening the fascia panel to about 41/2 -5inches would conceal the lines. With a fascia board that deep I could experiment with a row of LEDs on the bottom inside edge of the fascia slightly up-lighting the shadow and thus getting rid of it that way. it certainly seems to work with torches. Obviously at home, whilst a nuisance, operating the layout it is too high for me to notice.

Oh by the way Simon I have downloaded GIMP, I now have to learn to use it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan

Western Thunderer
Putting behind me the problems with the back scene work has been progressing on the short canopy. Outside frames of the glass has been done and the first support post has been made. I'm waiting for some more canopy brackets from York Modelling for the other 3 posts.

Whilst I had the camera out I thought I'd take a couple of photos of some locos.