Louvres

DavidB

Western Thunderer
Has anyone got a bright idea on how to make or represent fine louvres in 4mm scale? By fine, I am thinking of no more than 3 or 4 slats per foot (in 12" scale).

AJC

Western Thunderer
Has anyone got a bright idea on how to make or represent fine louvres in 4mm scale? By fine, I am thinking of no more than 3 or 4 slats per foot (in 12" scale).

What sort of louvres and in what (prototype) material? Evergreen do 1mm weatherboarding, I think which might be an option, but that depends on the angle of the slats, whether you need to see the other side, etc.

Adam

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
I have nade some by scoring plastikard with a saw blade. Mostly a broken piece of hacksaw blade held in a handvice. There are quite a lot of different pitch blades available so you should be able you find one near the pitch you need.

If the grooves you make aren't deep enough or at the right angle then they can be altered by scraping with a scraper made by grinding a worn out needle file to the shape needed. A diamond cutting disc in your minidrill/dremel can be used to shape the file if you don't have a grindstone.

Ian.

DavidB

Western Thunderer
I have made some by scoring plastikard with a saw blade
Yes, Ian. Thank you. This has been suggested to me although I used a coping was blade - unsuccessfully. I couldn't keep the scribed lies straight. My hacksaw blade looks on the fine side. I will have to go and see what others there are in the shop.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Yes, Ian. Thank you. This has been suggested to me although I used a coping was blade - unsuccessfully. I couldn't keep the scribed lies straight. My hacksaw blade looks on the fine side. I will have to go and see what others there are in the shop.

David,

You need to clamp a straight edge, Rule or piece of steel bar, to guide your saw. Start with very little pressure and increase it as the groove deepens. Once you have a straight groove the blade tends to follow it.

I have used a coping saw blade, well part of one. for some 7mm scale louvres. The teeth are more rip shaped than cross cutting so give a better louvre shape.

Ian.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer

Hi David,

Try here....

And in particular, here.

Scroll through the latter until you get to the cupola build.

Mickell is very clever and explains it very well.

Rob

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Possibly not much help to you as these are in 7mm, but this is how I'm making mine...

PXL_20240901_185350084.jpg

2 sides with a triangle glued at the foot of both inside faces. Glue slat to side at angle set by triangle. Add spacer above slat. Do same on the other side. Continue...

Once dry the proud bits of the spacers are trimmed back.

PXL_20240901_193107989.jpg
(Above still needed fully trimming)

PXL_20240901_200512510.jpg

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
I did something similar for the smoke vents on my loco shed, but laser cut the “comb” to locate the slats.

image.jpg

must get on with this…

BWs Steam

I picked up on Mikkel's build and for mine created a template from thin aluminium strips on a base, suitably angled. I then offered up the individual 0.25mm * 1mm PS strips pre-cut to length into the grooves. Gluing to the side strip was with limonene, anything else glues everything to the spacers as well.

In the end I found it more reliable to mount the fragile louvres onto a thin piece of black PS sheet. The louvre strips inserted first and the PS sheet glued onto the top. This being fine as I didn't need see thru for my roof vents.

Vent assembly 1.JPG

The finished build, while not as good as Mikkel's can be found here

Upper Hembury Stables