Love Lane, B.R. (E) c.1956-59

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I hope I can answer about the pillbox.

Heather, you are quite correct on both points! Most of those defensive structures built should and may well have been camouflaged!

However, back in 1939 some were placed in hedgerows and woods and needed little more than "scrim" to hide them. The mad land grab for crops that followed later in the war ended up exposing many of the useless structures and they remain standing in the open to this day!

This particular Type 22 for Love Lane is modelled on one that is tucked into what was a sunken lane just a few hundred yards from where I live.

The road has been widened and completely subsumed into the town with housing estates all around, yet the bank has been left wild and overgrown to the extent that few know or even notice that it is there, just above them! I had to hack and chop my way through branches, brambles (perfectly natural barbed wire) and ivy to reach it for measuring. Heaven knows what passers by thought the crashing and occasional outburst of some quite rich language coming from the undergrowth was?!

Any similar shrubbery if it had existed back then might have been cut back anyway to give a clear firing sight line. Close study has revealed that it was indeed painted with green, black and brown camo', though this is now only visible where a later overall cement "wash" is breaking up.

I am an old Barkingside boy and grew up on the "Hainault Loop". Along the eastern side of the line from Newbury Park through to Grange Hill stood long sections of "Dragon's teeth" tank traps and pill boxes. Surprisingly it would seem, there had been little attempt to disguise them and I well recall how the concrete still shone in smooth pale creamy grey, even in the 1960's!

As the imaginary Love Lane is supposed to be in the same geographical area as that London defence line, it seemed appropriate to include a pill box (in the condition that I remember) for a bit of interest on the layout?!

Talking of concrete, we need a another couple of early pre and post war classic bits of the stuff. A handsome Concrete Utilities lamp post and London Transport bus stop will do nicely for a 1950's outer suburban setting? It was handy that I was able to acquire some genuine LT "temporary" bus stop flag labels with the correct proportions for scaling down and making transfers.

Will post pics as soon as I can work out how!!

Pete.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Peter, that's a brilliant summation of pillboxes. There was one near where I grew up, hidden in trees but protecting a bridge that crossed the river. I never checked to see if there was another on the other side of the river across the fields, but I guess there would have been. My memory - from the 1970s, it has to be said - is a beige brown concrete, with a fair amount of scouring away of the ground surface over the years, leaving the foundations visible.

Your explanation of the condition you've modelled is good enough for me. It only struck me as a little stark in the context of the period. Perhaps the quality of the materials used in various parts of the country for construction also had a bearing.

Anyway, loving the way Love Lane is coming along. I look forward to one day seeing it in the flesh!

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It was handy that I was able to acquire some genuine LT "temporary" bus stop flag labels with the correct proportions for scaling down and making transfers.

I have an original LT enamel compulsory Bus and Coach Stop with a single row for route numbers if you want me to re-photograph and measure for you (I have it hanging from the wall at the bottom of the stairs and still waiting for a bus to stop!).

LT bus stop.jpg

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Peter

Forgot to mention (and apologies if you're already aware) the p22 Johnston underground font is available as a download from ufonts.com.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Another unsung hero of the Love Lane crew is Mike Carless. I understand he lurking in the background here on Western Thunder and he may own up to the fact.

Today Mike sent me his progress on the LL Signal Box that he drew and I just did the easy bit really and laser cut the parts for him. The glazing and door frame were cut from some of my old business cards and are actually a very nice card.

Anyway back to the signal box, I believe it to be based on Broxbourne and adapted to be at platform level for Love Lane.

Here are is his progress to date;

IMG_0604.JPG IMG_0605.JPG

I need to supply more windows and once fitted by Mike and approved by all of the Lane Lane crew the box will be handed over to Pete Insole to work his magic.

Last edited:

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

I think we are OK for measurements now, but the font advice is most welcome!

There is a really very, very good (at long last) model of an RT to go with the bus stop! The overall shape and subtle proportions of the bus have been captured perfectly, so it is ripe for super detailing, identity and route changing etc. And then there's that absolutely awful big plastic kit of a Routemaster that I've promised myself to finish one day, where even the transfer sheet is grossly inaccurate - needing some proper replacements!

Thanks also Heather. Some of those pillboxes were indeed a bit rough to say the least. I have considered piling up some material to represent soil, dead leafs and other rubbish in the entrance for effect, although one suggestion of adding a supermarket trolley and some rude graffiti was pushing the dateline authenticity a bit!

Some of the Love Lane folks are probably getting a bit fed up of me banging on about the subject, but when anyone says;
"That could do with a nice bit of greenish, brownish moss and lichen weathering..."
"Oh, no" says I!
It is easy to forget that until very recently, the whole of the south eastern side of the UK, and probably further north, suffered from an appalling amount of pollution and acid rain "fallout" from our towns and cities. I had chronic Asthma as a child, and my condition always notably improved when we travelled to the west! Various lichens and other organisms are extremely sensitive to air quality, so were notably absent. I recall being surprised by the colour and variety of textures in North Wales and Cornwall by comparison with Essex, Suffolk and even Sussex! Only in the last twenty years or so have our slate roofs and concrete fence posts caught up! Global warming is probably responsible too.
Of coarse, in the towns themselves, the addition of soot turned all brickwork, stone and concrete and indeed almost everything else a uniform blackish brown!

Though I aught not mention it, putting my name and "...in the flesh" in the same post might raise a chuckle in some quarters!

Less said about that, the better...!!!

Pete.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
There is a really very, very good (at long last) model of an RT to go with the bus stop! The overall shape and subtle proportions of the bus have been captured perfectly, so it is ripe for super detailing, identity and route changing etc.

Including garage and duty plates :)?

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Talking about pillboxes, there was a line of them along the north Norfolk coast – long considered a potential invasion site. At least one of the cliff top 'boxes now resides on the beach! Such is the level of interest the local council has produced a guide.

Richard

Attachments

• NNDC_PillBox_Trail_Leaflet.pdf
    623.4 KB · Views: 8

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Having just posted on the Bagshot build, and mentioned Love Lane, I thought you folks might like to see some progress here too!

What we needed was some of these for Station Road:

zrbSAM_9658.JPG zrbSAM_9659.JPG

The answer was the old patent wagon and brick bashing method; see Bagshot build!

zrbSAM_8573.JPG zrbSAM_8575.JPG

They were then glued to strips of mount board to set the "hump" and curves of the road surface onto a flat baseboard. To obtain a slightly random effect some of the slabs were both trimmed on the underside (as shown) or had thin strips of paper added before glueing down.

SAM_x0025.JPG SAM_x0026.JPG SAM_x0020.JPG

Building up the easily trimmed layers made aligning the road bed fairly straightforward.

SAM_x0024.JPG SAM_x0088 Ethen said - Oh look, road over the bridge, weee, I like it..JPG

We only need someone called "Muggins" to add stringers, and the mount board (again!) surface can be laid down and dressed. Hopefully not quite as rough as the real thing in the second photo though?!

Attachments

• SAM_x0022.JPG
    SAM_x0022.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 12

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Sincere apologies for not posting progress for a while.

Quite a lot has been going on, but then a fair bit keeps coming back off again! At the end of some Wednesday sessions it looks more like we are taking the railway apart.

Yesterday evening we decided to have a photo shoot before shutting up shop and placed, propped and parked as much as was practical back in place. It certainly helped to see that it is finally taking proper shape after all!

As there is a small backlog of pics, I will start with them:

SAM_x0078.JPG SAM_x0086.JPG

There have been times when it feels as if the wheels have come off the bus, but in this instance they really have! The chassis is away for a small modification that will make a big difference!

The vehicle was parked here to check the camber of the layby. Looks just about right I hope? Also, the bus will look a whole lot better when it gets some decent adverts and blind displays as well as a careful retouch of that unfortunate silver overspray on the radiator.

Consensus within the group is for a variant of Route 10, but if I wished to be particular, that would mean changing that otherwise perfect radiator for a Leyland one!

Says he, as if there is not enough to do already?!

SAM_x0101.JPG

Love Lane station is an absolute gem based on Chigwell. It has a delightful hipped roof with four gables and two tall chimneys. The esteemed architect, one Mr. William Neville Ashbee was a twit however, for back in 1903 he made no provision in his design for a removable roof!

This awkward lack of foresight on his behalf has been causing us no end of problems!

Finally however, we achieved resolution up to a point, in this case the twiddly bits atop the chimneys, past which the wretched roof could not be persuaded to pass.

Solution? Ah-hah! Sexy, slip on, sleeved tops!

SAM_x0190.JPG SAM_x0196.JPG

Now that all the copings are complete and complimented with a nice pair of pediments too, I was rapidly running out of excuses for not starting the paint job!!

Meanwhile, below stairs, the champion canopy team have been quietly going bonkers sticking down dozens of thin parallel strips for the lead-work. There are even more, even thinner strips for glazing bars applied now to most of the skylights as well!

SAM_x0188.JPG

That's the history bit of bits, so almost altogether now:

SAM_x0430.JPG SAM_x0447.JPG

As you can see, we were having a small problem with the evening sunlight, just where we wanted to take photographs.

I hope nobody will mind if I reveal our secret weapon?

You see, at least one of our most valued volunteers is not allowed to go home. Instead, we unplug and carefully dismantle him, storing him neatly away for service next week.

Unfortunately, we had already started packing up when we realised that we required one last duty to be performed. We partly reassembled him, and although temporarily reconnected to his base station, he did a fantastic job!

SAM_x0436.JPG

Sorry Robin, that was just way too good to miss!!

SAM_x0445.JPG SAM_x0452.JPG SAM_x0456.JPG SAM_x0458.JPG

And finally, an interesting foretaste of suburban stock to come!

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
It didn't exactly spin JB. More like a card trick that went wrong!

Actually, it was to do with building the fiddle yard without having to interfere with our essential R&R (comfy settees and coffee table) area!

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
How long have we been waiting for this bus to turn up?!

It's subtleties have been so perfectly captured, yet it is still only a basic cheapie (almost give away) diecast! I have promised myself and others to do a super detailing job on it, including helping a very good friend to convert one into a 2RT2, so maybe it deserves a new thread in it's own right?

Pete.