Love Lane, B.R. (E) c.1956-59

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
...we have decided to make it double track all the way round .... to give some added interest.
OOoohh, nice. Up and down boat trains passing in the station, double headed 37s on each service, plenty of scope for thunder as the drivers open up.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
And to clarify Colin's remarks, the inherited layout from Sudbury was simply track laid on 4 baseboards measuring 16' x 1'6" overall. It now measures 47' x 19'
Allen,
These can be seen in posts #1 onwards, 10 years ago :eek:, hadn't realised it had been that long :D

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
OOoohh, nice. Up and down boat trains passing in the station, double headed 37s on each service, plenty of scope for thunder as the drivers open up.
For those interested in the operational aspects of Love Lane, and as I alluded to in post #1,082, it is considered to be one of the terminus of the suburban services out of Liverpool St. ( The Jazz ) with loco's being exchanged for the return service. In the opposite direction, i.e. further North, there is a Pull-Push service which heads out to a branch line, the junction considered to be a mile further down the line.
Thus for these two services we justify having the loco servicing spur now located behind the Up platform.

Other services which may stop or pass through the station are express freight and passenger, pick-up goods, parcels etc. A couple of interesting aspects to operation is the fact that the branch goods can exchange traffic at Love Lane with goods collected and bought in to and from London or Cambridge directions, we also have a grain store at Love Lane which adds to traffic.
Goods would include coal, local merchandise supplies and building materials as there are new houses being built near to the station as outer suburbia creeps further out from the outskirts of the 'Big Smoke', but don't expect to see any bogie brick wagons as during this period most if not all were delivered by road.

And as we are in B.R. period you may see diverted traffic off the London-Cambridge main line during permanent way occupation which at a stretch could see LMS power being nicked by Cambridge shed to take traffic down to London :D ....and then the loco returned via Willesden.

Col.

Last edited:

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Gentlemen
Thanks for your replies. I saw the layout in Peter's shop about 5 years ago. I had not seen the early post as I have only been here since just about the beginning of lock down.
Thanks again
Allen

Last edited:

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
For those who have not seen the layout, we did make a video of it before we tore half of it up.

See

John
What a lovely video John. I’ve just sat and watched it start to finish whilst eating lunch, very inspirational.

Out of curiosity what automatic couplers do you use please ? I was leaning towards Alex Jackson couplings as they seem to work really well on Arun Quay but yours are a different make

Cheers

Mick

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mick. We really should mention Rhod Turner who did the editing and chose the music which I find very relaxing. Rhod and Tim did the photography.

John

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
Like Mick said above a very inspirational video and I too have watched it from start to finish excellent modelling and imagination in the scene .....I really must get that shed built :)

Osgood

Western Thunderer
That was a wonderful 6 minutes of antidote to the truly depressing morning news - must get off to work now.
That leaves another 16 to go - should last the rest of the week at this rate!
Are the grain wagons Kit or scratch? I wasn’t aware of a kit for them.

AJC

Western Thunderer
That was a wonderful 6 minutes of antidote to the truly depressing morning news - must get off to work now.
That leaves another 16 to go - should last the rest of the week at this rate!
Are the grain wagons Kit or scratch? I wasn’t aware of a kit for them.

The steel ones? Jim Harris, I think - he shot them down to 4mm: I've not built one but have heard that they exhibit that designer's usual characteristics.

Adam

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
New track laying, carried out by Dave and Bob, continues on Love Lane, this is at one end of the storage roads.

IMG_1299.JPG

....and John's test run of the goods shed hot off the laser.

IMG_1300.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

...and while the camera was about a couple of views of the signal box not normally available. Excuse the signalman's blue tack boots, security so he don't wander off while we re-site the box.

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1297.JPG

IMG_1298.JPG

Col.

Last edited:

S-Club-7

Western Thunderer
Just a quick update on the latest trackwork from last Tuesday:
Donfield Junction Facing Xover 5-May-22.jpg
The Up (outer) road is 2462.66mm radius to the centreline (so says Templot). The far turnout is an E14 right with a minimum radius of 2009mm (approx 79"). The near turnout is a D14 right but is currently missing its slide chairs (tomorrow's job). Both still need stretcher bars, wiring, servos etc. Timbers lasercut in one piece from 2.6mm MDF using the DXF export from Templot.

The carpenters/joiners/chippies were busy last week too. The new and modified scenic boards now have proper legs rather than bits of timber wedged beneath to hold it all up.