Love Lane, B.R. (E) c.1956-59

Easterner

Western Thunderer
Enjoying the Progress!

I don't suppose I could ask a cheeky favour whilst the goods yard is being remodelled?

Would it be at all possible to get a front on picture of the GER Loading Gauge as looking where it/was I assume it's been removed for the building work so now might be a good time - I only ask as I'd like to scratch build my own but I'm struggling to find a front on picture of one to produce suitable measurements/drawings of my own!

Easterner

Western Thunderer
Gents,

Another quick question, the Water Tower I'm planning on modelling on Easton Mill is going to based on Aylsham South, a completely different base structure to that modelled on Love Lane but the tank itself very much looks similar to that of Aylsham's. Looking back through the thread to see if there were any details of it's construction or close up pictures I notice that there is in fact some reference to this particular water tower around page 10!

Are there any drawings/dimensions/particular images you found to help build your model of this tank? Or failing that do you perhaps have any close up pictures of the water tower or any pictures in the construction stage that shows how you got to the finished product?

Thanks Again
Josh

Osgood

Western Thunderer
In my distant youth I photographed and measured the Alysham water tank and building up but sadly lost the lot.
I believe the drawings for this building were latterly in the Outdoor Machinery section of the Norwich Division offices in Prince of Wales Road - perhaps they survived?
I’m surprised that so few photographs of the building have appeared in print.
When I get some spare time I intend to try the archives of the GER Society In case they have anything.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Gents,

Another quick question, the Water Tower I'm planning on modelling on Easton Mill is going to based on Aylsham South, a completely different base structure to that modelled on Love Lane but the tank itself very much looks similar to that of Aylsham's. Looking back through the thread to see if there were any details of it's construction or close up pictures I notice that there is in fact some reference to this particular water tower around page 10!

Are there any drawings/dimensions/particular images you found to help build your model of this tank? Or failing that do you perhaps have any close up pictures of the water tower or any pictures in the construction stage that shows how you got to the finished product?

Thanks Again
Josh
I've not had involvement with the water tower and can't remember who exactly had a hand in construction maybe one of the other LL crew on here might be able to help ?
As Tony ( Osgood) is, I'll also go through, the GER Journal's search disc/files an see if there is anything, meanwhile this could be useful....

Attachments

• GER. Chelmsford Mill yard Water Tower.pdf
    119.1 KB · Views: 24

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
The tank on the water tower was scratchbuilt in styrene by Peter Hunt (the Dear Leader), a really neat piece of work. Offhand I can't remember who did the rest. I think it may have been laser cut by Phil Healey-Pearce (he of Intentio). I can't recall drawing that one.

John

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
I've spoken to Peter Hunt about the water tower, he has noticed the hole in West Mersea where it was once situated :). He did build it, based on that at Framlingham.

Tim

Easterner

Western Thunderer
I've not had involvement with the water tower and can't remember who exactly had a hand in construction maybe one of the other LL crew on here might be able to help ?
As Tony ( Osgood) is, I'll also go through, the GER Journal's search disc/files an see if there is anything, meanwhile this could be useful....

Thanks all for your help - I'll have a further look at Framlingham and see if I can find any drawings or more pictures.

In regards to the GER Journals, I note there's maybe potential info in:

Volume 24: GER Lineside Features: Part 1 Water Cranes
Volume 25: GER Lineside Features: Part 2: Water Tanks with Cranes Attached
Volume 26: GER Lineside Features: Part 3: Water Tanks
Volume 27: GER Lineside Features: Part 4: Water Tanks & Cranes Postscript
Volume 30: Detail for GE Modellers - Loco Tank Filler & Water Crane
Volume 34: Detail for GE Modellers - Water Crane
Volume 172: Saffron Walden Water Crane

Now, if only I could remember where I put my CD/USB with all the GER Journals on.......!

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Ref. the water tower at Aylsham South:
The Great Eastern Railway Society kindly make their collection index available to one and all - see:
A search of their main catalogue (section 3) yields a drawing of the subject:

GERS Index ref.jpg
Drawn in Oct 1971? - only a few years after my own roughly dimensioned sketch.
Next step see what this drawing comprises and if a copy can be obtained from Essex Record Office (ERO) who hold the archive on behalf of GERS, if it is suitable for modelling purposes I would like to obtain a copy myself.

If you are not in a rush for the info I'll see what I can sort out as I am a member (although I have not as yet made use of their archive resource) - see Section 7 on the GERS collection menu page referenced above.
Alternatively can any WTer offer more advice about purchasing copies of GERS archived drawings?
If you contact ERO I think you'll need to reference the drawing as D/Z 346 / 767/ 2.

Hope this helps.
P.S. Were you by any chance crewing the WD 2-10-0 on Thursday?

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Out of general interest in ex GER water towers here's a list of the GER Soc. Journals with articles/photo's etc.
Numbers quoted are Journal and page.

Water Tank/Tower Articles 26.21 27.16 30.22 Aldeburgh - picture 45.22 Aylsham 76.19 Beccles 26.21 Brandon - picture 49.01 Buntingford 31.13 Bury St Edmunds 26.21 Cambridge 26.21 Essex stations - pump, well locations 14.24 Hadleigh 22.21 Kelvedon Low Level 29.02 Kings Lynn 65.07 Manningtree - picture, drawing 31.23 34.16 North Woolwich 24.12 Ongar 75.06 Saffron Walden 26.21 29.09 Shenfield 26.22 Shoeburyness 74.32 Sudbury 69.19 Tanks with Cranes attached 25.12 Temple Mills 71.05 Thaxted 26.21 Thorpe-le-Soken 73.24 80.8 Wells-Next-The-Sea 24.12 26.22 27.17 30.23 Wood Street 6.12 Wymondham 26.21 27.16 30.22 76.36

Col.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
GER Journal Vol. 35 provides two excellent photos, the second of which is a close-up of the wall-mounted swivelling crane (pipe), with adequate brick course detail to facilitate dimensioning.
The photo in Vol 76 is the same as the first in 35 but reproduced smaller.
Some good dimensioned drawings in other refs. of water cranes and fire devils, esp. those at Saffron Walden in 172.
No drawings of water towers, only photos.
Three nice images of Ongar's brick base / cast iron tank in Great Eastern In Town & Country Vol 3.

Last edited:

Easterner

Western Thunderer
Thanks Again Gents for both your replies.

I've pulled up some of the GER articles you've mentioned and coupled with various pictures I've had I've been able to make a rough sketch.

I'd like to start finialising the drawing/make a start on making the water tower in the coming weeks - Tony, if you're happy to contact the GER Society I'll wait to hear back but alternatively I can drop them a message although I think I have let my membership lapse!

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Re-instatement of the main line started today by the Love Lane crew, Dave continues with the 'D' switches on the curved line into the storage roads.

IMG_1339.JPG

Bob, Rhod, Tim and John started on the mainline pass the goods yard which leads up to the original section of the station throat.

IMG_1338.JPG

The track bed of the main line is, I believe, John ?, drawn with the laser cutter by importing the Templot file ?
The trackwork in the yard will be laid on a paper template and maybe thinner than prototype sleepers to give a lower level than the mainline.

IMG_1346.JPG

Card mock-up ( no I said Mock -up :D ) of the Granary/Animal feed store.

IMG_1340.JPG
IMG_1341.JPG

...and finally the correct orientation for the goods shed with the office facing the yard entrance.

IMG_1342.JPG

Col.

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Further progress this week with concentration being on the main line and associated P&C work so we can complete the circuit and maintain running before our attention turns to the yard etc.
Personally I'm currently working on a scale drawing for the Granary which will be passed to John to produce a CAD drawing for laser cutting.

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

Col.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
You might find this useful Josh,
. . .
I constructed the example on Love Lane and have a pattern for profile milling the gauge bar.

I am a bit late here, but maybe this cast notice is of interest:

2022-05-08 11.36.29.jpg
Part of a former adjustable loading gauge, at Dereham station on 8 May.

It strikes me as something a little out of the ordinary, and a nice to have on my own layout.