M&SWJR Van and wagon livery

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I've not seen evidence of corrugated iron as roof cover before (not even by Colonel Stephens) - does anyone know of other examples?

daifly

Western Thunderer
The top two photos I provided to Mike Barnsley many years ago! I bought a set of Gloucester C&W Drawing Office 10' x 8" prints at ExpoEM at Paddington in about 1980 and sent them to the HMRS for copying. Mike Rhodes was a fellow member of the Railway Enthusiasts Club and knowing of my interest in the MSWJR gave me a copy of the photo of the Brake Van that he had taken at Laira.

My work took me to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Manchester several times a month during the 1970s and early 80s and I became well-acquainted with the archives and drawings of MSWJR locos at Glasgow University, photos at the Mitchell Library and also Beyer Peacock drawings in the Museum of Science & Industry in Manchester.

Birmingham C&W etc. drawings were obtained from a Birmingham Museum. I am awash with drawings! Edinburgh gave the opportunity to visit the Map Room of the National Library of Scotland and staff there were very helpful in finding 25" O.S. maps for the entire route of the MSWJR although I confined my purchases to station areas! I'm also happy to help anyone needing GAs etc.

Dave

Last edited: