Machynlleth

I am researching the above station and depot on the eve of the first world war, for a potential EM gauge model. Can any of you suggest any good reference sources. I am looking at everything from Locomotive allocations to station plans.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
If you don't have anything much currently, the best place to start is probably Chris Green's comprehensive line history of that part of the Cambrian Coast from Wild Swan - much of the photo content is from BR days but it will give a good basic background to the station and loco depot. There are some pre-grouping photos and the GWR track plan from 1923 but the signalling diagram is from BR days. Currently out of print but I suspect not difficult to find secondhand.

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
I recall some lovely modelling on RMWeb - my memory might be playing tricks, but I think Alan Buttler of Modelu was modelling the shed a wee while back.

Andrew Young

If you don't have anything much currently, the best place to start is probably Chris Green's comprehensive line history of that part of the Cambrian Coast from Wild Swan - much of the photo content is from BR days but it will give a good basic background to the station and loco depot. There are some pre-grouping photos and the GWR track plan from 1923 but the signalling diagram is from BR days. Currently out of print but I suspect not difficult to find secondhand.

Seconding Chris’s suggestion of getting a copy of Green’s line history. Essential reading for someone modelling Mach.