Macton Waggon Diorama

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Here are the promised pics of the cutting fixture.DSCN1389x1024.jpg DSCN1388x1024.jpg DSCN1387x1024.jpg DSCN1386x1024.jpg DSCN1384x1024.jpg

and an update on the bolt plate manufacture, the set up in the vice is using a couple of pieces of tool steel as the anvils and some odd and ends of other mild steel as guides the bottom piece of tool steel has a couple of pieses of brass shim to ensure a clearance for the top anvil. Also a bit of styrene as a stop.
DSCN1394x1024.jpg

DSCN1395x1024.jpg
some notes about the process.
DSCN1399Capture.JPG

Of course plans and notes are mostly a rough guide as it always depends on what I have available. The set up seems to work well enough it requires 4 annealings.

Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Today I made the 8 bolt plates first the 1/8th diameter rod was machined to the two diameters and threaded.

DSCN1401x1024.jpg
After the first annealing they were given the first flattening in the jig.

DSCN1402x1024.jpg

After four annealing and flattenings

DSCN1404x1024.jpg
Then the holes were drilled and the ends rounded .

DSCN1407x1024.jpg
After a couple of attempts to blacken the pieces I did a thorough cleaning with Alcohol for a final dip in the Jax brass and bronze blackening solution.

DSCN1408Capture.JPG

Next up will be the headstock sole and diagonal knees

sole diagonal knee.png

These will be bent up from some .040 copper sheet, and then blackened.

Michael

Last edited:

michael mott

Western Thunderer
My pleasure Adrian.
Today I completed the first headstock sole knee. first the drawing
DSCN1421x1024.jpg

Then the copper was drilled and the notch cut out before bending. this was learned by bending up a couple of tests to work out the way forward.

DSCN1411x1024.jpg

I am beginning to see how complex this little wagon is.

DSCN1416x1024.jpg

The copper was blackened with the same Jax Blacken.

Michael

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Michael
When you next take a picture of the frame, could you, please, have your hand in the photograph as well so that I can get an idea of it's size?

Jon

michael mott

Western Thunderer
good afternoon Jon
here are a few pictures that should give a clear indication of the size of both the wagon and the John Bull.

DSCN1460x1024.jpg

DSCN1461x1024.jpg

Regarding the John Bull I am seriously thinking of not using this very heavy boiler and of completing this model more as a display model with moving valve a wheel motion, That way I can make a more detailed representation of the inside of the smokebox the number of tubes in the boiler etc, It is 7.5 inch gauge and realistically there is no track close to where I am living. If I were to change scales and reproduce my drawings to the same scale as the locomotive works then I can put a model into the works area and that would also give me the opportunity to make other model of early Locomotives as well.
DSCN1462x1024.jpg

Michael

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Michael
Thanks for the 'scale' pictures of the frame, I have a better idea of size now. Now that you've shown Bull Dog's boiler, I'm going to have to look her up.

Jon

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Finished up the sole bar & buffer trimmer knees today. These get bolted to the buffer trimmer on the side toward the buffer beam or headstock, on the inside of the channel piece (buffer trimmer) there is another piece called the buffer trimmer & solebar knee, are you confused yet? the 2 holes on the angled end are for the buffer trimmer & diagonal knee.

IMG_0723x1024.jpg

IMG_0724x1024.jpg

IMG_0727x1024.jpg
These pictures were taken with my just fixed Canon SX730HS and I forgot to turn off the time and date stamp. The bolts are 00x90 but I have run out of nuts, and I don't have any of the correct hex bar to make my own.

Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
A couple more jobs done or started. First the third piece of the buffer trimmer set has been made, just one more small angled bracket to go.
IMG_0740x1024.jpg

I made a start on the buffer "castings" which I am turning up on the lathe, these will next be mounted in a collet block. the holes will then be drilled for mounting to the buffer beam.

IMG_0746x1024.jpg

I have also noticed that the copper brackets will need to be remade because the holes are off,as a consequence of drilling them first and then bending the sheet instead of the other way round.

IMG_0749x1024.jpg

Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Simon and Rob thank you for you kind comments. When I started to form the idea that I would like to repicated the picture of the wagon on the 18 inch gauge trucks outside the works building in the Crewe narrow gauge book I had no idea how complex these small wagons are! The narrative in the Railway Clearing house site about the building of a full size one of these is amazing and that two men could assemble one of these in 3 days is still something that I have a hart time getting my head around. The time it took to make a new mandrel to hold the buffer castings has paid off in spadesI am able to complete the rest of the machining on the mill/drill.
first the piece was put on the mandrel in reverse so that I could drill the bolt holes.
IMG_0751x1024.jpg
the collet block is a great device that I have only just acquired and I am asking myself why I never had one before.
Next the block was laid over to do the slots for the webs the webs are supposed to be .053 inches thick but I had some .o57" and and .057" slotting cutter so a compromise was decided.

IMG_0755x1024.jpg
The top web is shorter than the other three so had to keep my attention when cutting.

IMG_0758x1024.jpg
IMG_0761x1024.jpg

IMG_0763x1024.jpg

IMG_0764x1024.jpg

Once all the webs are cut I shall solder them all in before the final shaping.

Michael

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hello Rob Mike and John, thank you for your compliments they are encouraging and help me keep moving forward.

Jon the collets are held in specially designed blocks made fore each specific type of collet some are hexagonal as well. the thread on the back of the collet is threaded and a ring is used to lock the collet to the block. A small locating pin in the block keeps it registered so that it remains in one position once locked in place. The blocks are precision ground so that the collets are held in the centre of the block.
In order to complete one set of operations after another I had to use a square to line up the buffer "castings" to ensure that the holes were positioned properly to mill off the top and bottom flats, I had to put bolts into the holes and line them up before milling the flats. In retrospect it would have been better to do these in the opposite order, the flats first then the holes.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
Michael,

when a couple of guys built a wagon in a couple of days, I’m guessing they didn’t make or machine the castings, or even do the blacksmithing of the ironwork, so it would have been, almost entirely, assembly, of parts produced already.

I do like the way you’ve done the buffer stocks.

Atb
Simon