Manufacturer of JLTRT aerosol paints

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
I wish there was a legal way of shipping "proper" paints out of the UK. I'm not completely looking forward to brush painting my next loco with the Tamiya 'rail colour' acrylics...

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I wish there was a legal way of shipping "proper" paints out of the UK. I'm not completely looking forward to brush painting my next loco with the Tamiya 'rail colour' acrylics...
The first reference in this list:
18C39, (PWSA 011), Rail Blue.
RAL 7047, (PWSA 012), Rail Grey.
RAL 1004, (PWSA 013), Warning Panel Yellow.
BS 226, (PWSA 016), Sherwood Green.
RAL 6011, (PWSA 026), Brunswick Green

is the colour code, either in the RAL series, or the BS4800 series for the first one. What you could do is translate these into whatever paint system(s) are used in Australia, if different, and you can get your own paint mixed to the same spec locally.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
I have to agree with David, airbrushing is now the preferred option.:)

Hi CME - Happy New Year!

What I think I was saying is that air brushing was always the better option IMHO [even before these shipping bans] in that you can get subtleties of finish with an air brush that you will never get with an aerosol can.

Also with acrylics you don't need to even worry too much about getting actual railway colours as they are so easy to mix to arrive at what you want. Just look at the finishes the military & aircraft modellers acheive with acrylics. Some of their stuff is mind boggling. Also do not forget oil paints for some colour detailing applications.

Regards,

DJP

flexible_coupling

Western Thunderer
Living in a confined inner-city locale, space for airbrushing doesn't exist! I may gain access to a spraying facility down the track, but for the present - being able to nick down to the alleyway with a few cardboard boxes for "shielding" and use an aerosol for priming etc. is about as good as I can get. Hence where brush-painting skills will need to grow for certain colours, I fancy...