Marshcastle

Simon

Flying Squad
Despite being only a "train set", this afternoon I relaid the main loops to lose a sharper than necessary section of curve, I also replaced the medium RH point with one with an electrically switched crossing, as "Combe Martin" shorted out across the blades with the simpler arrangement which was very unconducive to smooth rnning.

Before work commenced:

Newst2.jpg

We have also come up with a "visual concept" for the station, shown mocked up in the second shot. A multi storey car park over end of line running straight ahead and "Station Tower" built across the corner of the former doorway, built "on stilts" over the platform. There will be two road overbridges in the scene, the largest running into the gap between the car park and station tower, which will have bus stops along its edges, and a smaller nearer the camera, more or less over the second point's tiebar.

Newst4.jpg

I like the notion that parcels can be shunted on or off "up" trains from and to the "bay" line running straight ahead, with all the bridges cutting the scene up I think it might look quite effective, the vehicles on the left will be on a road at the top of a concrete retaining wall - just got build it all now....

Newst1.jpg

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Harry and I got busy with the cardboard after our bike ride.....

Stock has been chosen as an homage to New Street:))

All platforms carcassed out, car park, station tower and main road overbridge mocked up in cardboard.

Overview:

Bridge1.jpg

Trackside view:

Bridge3.jpg

Roadside view :p

Bridge2.jpg

We are feeling quite enthused:thumbs:

Simon and Harry

adrian

Flying Squad
Looks like fantastic fun was had by all - although there's far too much lane discipline on that bridge to be Birmingham!

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
08 601 standing as station pilot shunting the vans, but dont forget the fan to blow cold air through the station, even in the summer it was cold

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Harry and I got busy with the cardboard after our bike ride.....

Stock has been chosen as an homage to New Street:))

All platforms carcassed out, car park, station tower and main road overbridge mocked up in cardboard.

Like it ! :))..............no excuse for the lack of hydraulics though :rolleyes::D

Phill :thumbs:

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I seem to recall the Station Pilot I always saw circa 1979 was 08 9xx(something or other...)??
But then I have a memory like a sieve....:oops:

Once the Westerns had gone, there was nothing 'special' in terms of motive power that went near the place, until the Hoovers were the last Class of 'individual' locos left on the rails....
And yet, what would we now give to see a load of trains there formed with Mark 2Ds and Class 47s.....;)

Neil

Western Thunderer
And yet, what would we now give to see a load of trains there formed with Mark 2Ds and Class 47s.....;)

Yes I remember being stupidly excited at catching one of the Virgin X country loco hauled trains from Donny to York when I'd taken my daughter there shopping. Last regular loco hauled train I've been on.

Simon

Flying Squad

Sounds good to me, that was one of my favourite model combos on the Monkton Combe model and I used to enjoy such sights on the real Cotswold Line, now happily being invested in by your mob:)

In answer to an earlier request and after having dug out a few wagons in the interests of research for project "cac", here is a freight running wrong road through Rowley New Street with the headcode for a passenger train running on to the southern region, I think.

Freight.jpg

Looks as though the traffic is worse tonight, and I can just see a rather out of period train hiding in the background on the terminating bay line:))

Simon

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I seem to recall the Station Pilot I always saw circa 1979 was 08 9xx(something or other...)??
But then I have a memory like a sieve....:oops:

Once the Westerns had gone, there was nothing 'special' in terms of motive power that went near the place, until the Hoovers were the last Class of 'individual' locos left on the rails....

BNS had a succession of 350's one if the being 601 which incidentally is now at Soho

Simon

Flying Squad
Platforms now all surfaced, ready for painting and further construction of bridge piers and car park foundations etc.

Plat1.jpg
Plat2.jpg

There are some hideously large "mind the gap" issues, a dual result of relatively sharp radius but mostly having built everything with clearances to allow "Eurostar" services access to each platform:))

The island platform is a good 6 mk 1s long while the "main" platform is about 5 mk 1s.

Just got to work out the numbering now:p

Simon

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Are you having wires Simon?:eek: the eek is for the thought police who say an electric loco is just a power converter!!!!!!

Old Buffer

Western Thunderer
Are you having wires Simon?:eek: the eek is for the thought police who say an electric loco is just a power converter!!!!!!
Ian,
I don't want this to get into a serious discussion or argument, but an electric loco is nothing more than a transformer on wheels, take it away from the wires or 3rd rail and it stops.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I was Joking !!!!!!!!! but the same principle applies to a steam engine remove the coal and it stops:pHa Ha joke over
lets enjoy Marshcastle come on Simon you know you want to string 'em up

I was hinting at the electric Eurostar but I suppose you could put the 2x37 and the generator coach with them as an alternative

Simon

Flying Squad
I was Joking !!!!!!!!! but the same principle applies to a steam engine remove the coal and it stops:pHa Ha joke over
lets enjoy Marshcastle come on Simon you know you want to string 'em up

I was hinting at the electric Eurostar but I suppose you could put the 2x37 and the generator coach with them as an alternative

No wires as it'd be too fiddly and I havent got any trains for it anyway - great idea though!

Anyway, I'm currrently building the car park, I've just stopped by the computer on my way out to the shed for the superglue and one or two other bits.

Photos may appear later:D

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Project cac cluttered - nah, this is what cluttered looks like:)

Car park decks all walled, proper supports for deck 1 built and in place, point motor and microswitch fitted and contained within LH bridge abutment of foreground bridge, bridge abutments and supports for "station bridge" constructed.

As you can probably see, the capacity to store and display large numbers of road vehicles is a key requirement:eek:

Abridged1.jpg

This picture shows the "buildings" below the car park first deck. I imagine that the doors lead to service plant and a current thought is to imagine that the bay underneath is also a motorail terminal, with an access ramp leading down from the street on the foreground bridge down to rail level parallel to bay and disappearing under the car park. On reflection perhaps not, better an access for vans going to the parcels bay, newspapers, post office etc.

All good fun, I also fancy extending the other siding a bit further round the bend....

Simon

Abridged2.jpg

Simon

Flying Squad
I'm still stuck in cardboard city, tonight I lowered the overbridges for increased "dramatic effect" and built some "proper" decks incorpating pavements and a lay by for buses near the station:))

View back through main bridge:

aapav2.jpg

Pavements in place on "proper" roadway/deck:

aapav1.jpg

Some better looking vehicles!

aapav3.jpg

Toot toot!