Marshcastle

S

Simon Dunkley

I was Joking !!!!!!!!! but the same principle applies to a steam engine remove the coal and it stops:pHa Ha joke over
lets enjoy Marshcastle come on Simon you know you want to string 'em up
No wires as it'd be too fiddly and I havent got any trains for it anyway - great idea though!
Doesn't seem to be required for Virgin Pendolinos (Pendolinoes?), if you have seen their TV advert for their new bank...

Simon

Flying Squad
Another session in cardboard city today.

I decided that the second siding could do with going around the bend a bit more so extended the baseboard with cardboard - what else?

I have also added the side walls to the main overbridge and constructed the access slope down into the parcels bay, which has also acquired a second platform face (on to which the access slope runs) to facilitate loading and unloading of parcels and mail.

The main bridge piers are glued in place and I have started filling all the exposed corrugated cardboard edges.

Aaroom1.jpg

The main work though was to come up with some suitable platform level building that will sit under the "station tower". After several false starts, I ended up with the below, which I think looks OK.

The next and biggest (cardboard) task is to construcy a credible "station tower", to which end I am studying pictures of big modernish buildings, a complete contrast to my normal "architectural interests":))

Aawait2.jpg

I really ought to have some of those dreadful "clasp" buildings somewhere too!

Simon

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Must be heading towards a cardboard shortage in Bath at this rate :D
Good to see more progress, including cramming more track in, I look forward to a playing sesson when you complete the loop :)

Simon

Flying Squad
Given the arrival of Jim S-W's masterwork on these shores, here follows an insouciant little snap of Rowley New Street showing how cardboard can be made to look a bit less like, er, cardboard.

Acarpark.jpg

I need to vary my grays a bit more, but it has quite a pleasing multi-storeyness to it as you glance across the room:))

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
A bit more work in the cardboard city....

Harry got busy with the paints on Rowley New Street station:

Aballast 001.jpg

While I ballasted the line around the level crossing at Marshcastle:

Aballast 002.jpg

Mrs Miggins' house was temporarily removed during this operation:))

Simon

Work has

Simon

Flying Squad
Another busy day in BluePeterland:))

Concrete surfaces made a bit more subtle, all white board surfaces painted using up dodgy old acrylics, Station tower finished, more or less, station throat part ballasted and another des res made from butchering an old Faller kit that I acquired from goodness knows where.

Aatower 008.jpg

I think the car park is full! We got out the modern trains today:

Aatower 002.jpg

I don't think the new signalbox is going to win any design awards:p

Aatower2 copy.jpg

Beeee - Baarp!

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Indeed, but the Wehrmacht would have been proud! :p

Ah yes, confused conversations in model - land:eek:

"Up Marshcastle standing at UM 15"

"For you Tommy, ze war is over"

"Bandits at 5 o'clock"

"Div!e Dive! Dive!"

Sorry, too much of Mrs Miggins' nettle and parsnip wine - roulade anyone?

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
The SB looks like a receipt hole from a speed bank, can I have some money plesssze, vos did you say nein, crap!!!!!!

Simon

Flying Squad
The SB looks like a receipt hole from a speed bank, can I have some money plesssze, vos did you say nein, crap!!!!!!

You could have a point there, hopefully the window frame and some painting will releved the "slotyness", on the other hand maybe I'll try another style - its only cardboard....

Mind you, the mark 1 version was even more "stalag luft" than this one:))

Simon

Flying Squad
Well I'm afraid I'm still completely distracted by "cardboardmania" here's a quick tour of the latest developments around the local network:))

First off is a pasengers' eye view along platform 3 - mind the gap!

Tour00.jpg

Next is a view of the more or less completed factory/office that sits above the western approach, cobbled together from a Faller "terminus hotel". I think my conceit is that the building pre-dates the railway which has had to cut through in front of it. It needs a suitably old fashioned business name, currently favouring "Josia Cringe", not sure what they're doing up there though!

Tour0.jpg

The car park is already in operation, no shortage of customers, probably all shopping in the nearby Rotunda shopping centre.

Tour1.jpg

Down in the depths of the station the redevelopment has created some interesting light and shade effects for photographers...

Tour2.jpg

At the "sunny end" of the station there's no shortage of action for the local trainspotters as the new order takes hold in the brave new post BR era:rolleyes:

Tour3.jpg

Next we'll catch a local train and see what's going on at Marshcastle.

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
Don't worry, not much more to put up with:eek:

The level crossing has now been properly grouted in and painted, and looks quite satisfyingly "complicated" with all the check rails in place.

Tour4.jpg

Finally we have decided what is going to be to the right of the level crossing, it is a pair of plaster cast buildings as produced by Michael Rayner some years ago, quite "approximate" but charming I think, apparently based upon buildings on his native Isle of Wight. They need a bit more painting work but already look the part when plonked in position with a bit of temporary lichen - I love the smell of this stuff!

Tour5.jpg

That's all folks!

Simon

Flying Squad
Thanks for the comments.

Later on I did quite a bit of ballasting, which is all now hopefully drying out. Doesn't half make all the cardboard structures soggy:eek:

Ballastmess.jpg

All stock has been shunted to the other end of the station, which is a bit of a mess at the moment...

Ballastmess1.jpg

Harry and I have a cunning plan for a scenic feature to the right of the coal wagons, the piles of old vehicles are a clue;)

Simon

Must get back to some "proper" modelling:))

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
excellent, very land locked typical of the 1960's. This is supposed to be a train set and it's beginning to look like a maser piece.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
I like the way this whole thing is going.

Keep it up, Simon, get the 7F out, and run a few 1960s steam freights through 'New Street'...!

Simon

Flying Squad
What 7F?

Still recovering from doing Shepton Mallet show yesterday, but here's a view from the "other end" of the station taken a week or so ago that I quite like.

Although b*gger all work has taken place, you will be pleased to hear that we have at least been running a regular service for commuters from Marshcastle to Rowley New Street and return:))

Simon

Otherend.jpg