Martin Finney

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Resin boilers are great, Finney him self used them on the duchess and A4 I think?
They are great if strict quality control is adhered to, you only need one flaw and a significant part of the kit is next to useless, granted many offer a replacement service, but thats a pain you really shouldnt have to suffer after parting with large amounts of cash.

I spoke to DA a few years back and he was 'then' considering going back to all brass fireboxes etc, there's still a large customer base that prefers brass over resin components. It will change in time as new modellers entering the scene will have more tolerant to mixed media components, it's the future, as already seen in other modelling genres, it's just going to take a while to get there.

Mind 4mm and 2mm seem to have adopted mixed media more readily than 7mm, maybe that's the appeal of 7mm, your sort of one step closer to machine shop engineering in the larger scales.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
How do you know it won't be a Finney one Jeff? The range is up for sale after all.

Thats very true -

I phoned Martin yesterday and ordered the second from last narrow cab T9/Water Cart tender and had a chat with him. Currently there are 3-4 parties interested in acquiring the 7mm range and apparently they do not include one of the larger companies mentioned in this thread and no fear of black holes either! I do not know if this list includes the Western Thunder grouping. Ideally, he wanted to sell both scales as one concern but thinks it much more likely that they will have to be split.

I had missed the last M7 0-4-4T but he was somewhat reassuring about the range being available again from elsewhere - so I if I were you Jeff, I would not worry too much about missing the V2 - nor would I pay inflated prices now for any MF kits that might come up on ebay or elsewhere.

BTW - beautiful cast metal boilers on the DJH Britannia and Piercy A4 IMHO.

Now it only remains for me to announce my own retirement! Only joking - my wife needs me as a slave for a few more years yet!

Regards,

DJP/MMP

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
DJP said:

Now it only remains for me to announce my own retirement! Only joking - my wife needs me as a slave for a few more years yet!

not to mention a few O Gauge modellers awaiting the release of certain main line diesels mentioned a while ago:thumbs:

cheers

Mike

djparkins

Western Thunderer
DJP said:

not to mention a few O Gauge modellers awaiting the release of certain main line diesels mentioned a while ago:thumbs:

cheers

Mike

Yeah but since them Revell have released a new-tool Tornado in 1/48th and that will be a nice cash cow for me. I'll finish off the work on the new & re-tooled diesels soon-ish but anyway, I didn't think you were building kits anymore?

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
They are great if strict quality control is adhered to, you only need one flaw and a significant part of the kit is next to useless, granted many offer a replacement service, but thats a pain you really shouldnt have to suffer after parting with large amounts of cash.

I spoke to DA a few years back and he was 'then' considering going back to all brass fireboxes etc, there's still a large customer base that prefers brass over resin components. It will change in time as new modellers entering the scene will have more tolerant to mixed media components, it's the future, as already seen in other modelling genres, it's just going to take a while to get there.

Mind 4mm and 2mm seem to have adopted mixed media more readily than 7mm, maybe that's the appeal of 7mm, your sort of one step closer to machine shop engineering in the larger scales.
That's True I've seen a shocking resin boiler from one company, more like a Wispa chocolate bar but if done properly like the ones I've seen from JLTRT then they are superb and carry a lot of detail. I think multi media kits is the way forward but I appreciate some prefer working in all metal.
I won't say either way is best I know which one I personally prefer.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
DJP said,

I didn't think you were building kits anymore?

the occasional one or two, but I was thinking more of those that do and are being extremely patient.:thumbs: don't forget, I've had a few bits and pieces from you in the not too distant.

cheers

Mike

djparkins

Western Thunderer
DJP said,

I didn't think you were building kits anymore?

the occasional one or two, but I was thinking more of those that do and are being extremely patient.:thumbs: don't forget, I've had a few bits and pieces from you in the not too distant.

cheers

Mike

Mike -

Their patience will be rewarded - if not in this life then in the next! But I don't want pressure from anyone in my 60s and thats why I never give release dates - and if I do give an estimate, it is just that and NOT a promise - a bit like my etchers. Now they really do just pluck a delivery date out of the air that they have no intention of meeting!

Do remember too that there is much work in bringing these back, as they will be 60-70% new kits - they will be ready when they are ready and certainly after anything to do with Tornadoes!

Regards,

DJP

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
How will I put opening smokebox doors and tube plates in a resin boiler? ;)

JB.

With a lot of fun and games. But why, I've never seen a loco running with it's smokebox door open. Yes it's nice to do, but it only really works if you have a shed layout or your locos just stand around!!!!!!!

But if you really wanted to do it mount the boiler on your boreing m/c then turn the outside of the smokebox down to the inside size of your new smokebox wrapper up to the first boiler band. Then drill lots of small holes, and make all of the bits that you want to add inside of the smokebox that you have rolled. fit the front ring and shut the door. You know it's there, but why spend all of that time, after all it has a electric motor in it not a fire.

:))

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
It's a kind of JB trademark now. All his locos have the smokebox detailed out, and the door opens.

It's the kind of thing that makes you want to throw all your tools away and give up making models for ever. :D

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
It's a kind of JB trademark now. All his locos have the smokebox detailed out, and the door opens.

It's the kind of thing that makes you want to throw all your tools away and give up making models for ever. :D

Haha, thanks Heather, but it's a bit like inside valve gear, once you do it the first time, it's not so tricky...

JB.

alcazar

David Parkins said:
Now it only remains for me to announce my own retirement!

Picks self off floor after reading the next sentence......don't do things like that David please, I'm too old for the shock.