Martin Finney

alcazar

So you did, Paul, my apologies.

I can imagine what would happen, however, if I were to try that......visions of bits of resin flying off everywhere while I ducked. The result might feature on the scrapline at the Plant, and that's about all........

S

SteveO

While we're talking about kit quality, etc. I've always had in my mind that my first steam loco would be a J15, the ubiquitous loco on the lines I'm interested in. I notice that AGW has a kit - has anyone any experience of these, or his general quality of his kits?

I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, simply a quicky will suffice. Thanks

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
So you did, Paul, my apologies.

I can imagine what would happen, however, if I were to try that......visions of bits of resin flying off everywhere while I ducked. The result might feature on the scrapline at the Plant, and that's about all........
Funny you should mention that Jeff, have you had one of the part works A4 mags ?? Have an A4 cab dumped on that Doncaster works layout!!

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Over the Telford weekend I had a slight panic when talking to Nick D about Finney T9s. There was the sudden dawning realisation that I may be a tender short for my Drummond locos. Yesterday evening I did a count up and realised I did, indeed, need a further 6-wheel tender and so called Martin just a few moments ago with some trepidation:

"...do you, by any chance, have a Drummond 3500g tender in stock?"
"No. Well, I might have; I'll need to order some more tenders as I have more locos than tenders. It might be a couple of months"
"Fantastic, that sounds great to me..."
"That'll be absolutely the last ordering I'll be doing though"

There are two, maybe three, things to learn from this.
1. I can be polite on the 'phone when I need to be
2. I may actually have a 'telephone voice'
3. If you get in quick for a tender, you may get one; for anything else, there's eBay.

Thought it worth sharing,

Steph

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
While we're talking about kit quality, etc. I've always had in my mind that my first steam loco would be a J15, the ubiquitous loco on the lines I'm interested in. I notice that AGW has a kit - has anyone any experience of these, or his general quality of his kits?

Hi Steve, who are AGW? - always keen to know of suppliers of LNER locos and stock:thumbs:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks Adam - of course bit of a DOH moment especially as I had a few castings from them last year. Jim does a J15 I was more think about the possibilities of other items.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Alan Gibson Workshop, I think. Doesn't Connisseur do one in 7mm? Martyn Welch did a good build/weathering piece in MRJ a little while back.

Adam

Thanks Adam - of course bit of a DOH moment especially as I had a few castings from them last year. Jim does a J15 I was more think about the possibilities of other items.

The Connoissuer J15 kit is probably the best option on the market, it's quite accurate as well.

Col.

alcazar

So........if he's ordering more tenders, one wonders if he'd order the loco(s) and tender(s)I want given a firm order and maybe even money upfront?

My fear is that either his range won't be sold on, or someone will take it on and do to it what someone did to David Parkins excellent and cheap PWP range...the price more than doubled and the quality went down by the same amount.

Or it could still be sold to ABS........

I'll try ringing tomorrow, put on my best begging voice.......

alcazar

Ok, so no go on that one.

But he does seem upbeat about selling, confident it WILL happen, especially the 7mm range.

So now it's just a case of "wait and see," I guess.

S

SteveO

I didn't think it would have been a goer – organising one etch would have probably been more trouble than it's worth, even for a guaranteed sale.

I would imagine there would be a fair amount of interest in the range, considering the perceived quality of the kits so, from a purely selfish perspective, interestingly worrying!

S

SteveO

I don't know any details, but it seems quite a few people may be interested. There's a thread on RMW which suggests someone else may be entering the bidding war. It looks like this range will certainly not be retired when Martin gives up.