Trade Masterpiece Models "Western"

Cliff Williams

Western Thunderer
Couldn't resist when it was announced and so was the first to order one.
It is going to be astonishing, if they deliver on spec, with full engine bay detail all lit up.
Anybody want to buy some Heljan Westerns?

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Although Masterpiece Models seem expensive they are exceptional models that are fully researched, they are built from metal as would a kit or scratch build and I doubt any builder could match the quality for the same price, if they did it would be a labour of love.
They can also be ordered to S7 standards :thumbs:.

Col.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Although Masterpiece Models seem expensive they are exceptional models that are fully researched, they are built from metal as would a kit or scratch build and I doubt any builder could match the quality for the same price, if they did it would be a labour of love.

Col.

Hello Col

You raise some interesting points I think. We tried to get a very small way down this road with the MMP diesels, with things like seperate grilles along the cantrails of our classes 40 & 56 and very intricately detailed NS parts, but all we got were bleats about them being hard to build. In fact the only Class 56 I ever saw built with stright roof grilles was Simon Varnam's online build on his BOGOL website. I never did see a Class 40 with them fitted correctly!

So I kind of think that although it would be perfectly possible to produce an etched diesel kit with all the external, underfloor and bogie detail [not the engine etc.] for around the price of a JLTRT loco, most would not choose to build it if there were a resin or a RTR alternative available. And therein is the dilemma for any would-be manufacturer in metal. Not that it would put me off as I wouldn't be doing it primarily for money these days. Still, that is unrealistic as it then becomes purely an indulgence rather than a viable business proposition - and we are back to the point you made in your post.

The last thing you would want as a manufacturer is to put out something just for love and STILL be slated for it. But I strongly suspect that would be the outcome. We shall see.

Its kind of why we have had masters sitting around for our Sprinter DMUs for so long. I just cannot see how we can put out dmu kits with 90+ parts in the bogies and around twenty intricate underfloor assemblies [before you even get into the actual car bodies] for less than around £350-£400 per car.

People seem to be prepared to pay for steam loco kits and they seem able to build 'em. Are we saying that diesel modellers don't have the skill of their steam-powered counterparts? Surely not!

Regards

DJP/MMP

mickoo

Western Thunderer
David,

The difference here is that these are already built by a commercial concern; who's skill set will already be at or above average, or at least one would hope so and seeing their steam models I have no doubt that they are.

The issue with 'kits' of diesels is that the majority will be be built, or attempted to be built by those with variable skill sets. Many will try, some will achieve, others will realize they need to hone their skills more to carry on (I fall into, fell into, this category with the MMP 57 it sits under my bench waiting to be completed), the remaining will give up.

If you shipped your kits to the Far East and had them built and shipped back then they would sit alongside Masterpiece, some people are simply prepared (more prepared) to pay someone else to do the building for them.

I also have an MMP 08, again not completed; but this time not through lack of skill (it's a very easy kit to build) but lack of time and too many other varied interests.

MD

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

Col.

They certainly are exceptional models Colin and when you consider the amount of work involved in achieving the end result, I'm amazed they don't cost more, but I guess that's down to being built abroad rather than in the UK? If I had the cash to spare, I'd certainly have become a customer by now.

I was admiring a "Castle" on Masterpiece's stand at one of the Reading shows and the lady behind the stand asked if I was interested in buying one? "If I flashed out £3,000 on a loco", I replied, "my wife would divorce me - I'll take two please"...! :)):)):))

Regards

Dan

SteadyRed

Western Thunderer
I had a very close look at some of the items on The Masterpiece stand at Kettering and the quality is excellent, I would love an S7 Western, but the £3,300 asking price is too rich for my blood, plenty will invest & I am sure the release will be a massive success. I do wonder how many will be purchase in BR blue.

For the rest of us who enjoy the building modern image locos, we will have to hope that Dave Parkin re-releases his MMP locomotive kits at some point.

Dave

djparkins

Western Thunderer
The issue with 'kits' of diesels is that the majority will be be built, or attempted to be built by those with variable skill sets. Many will try, some will achieve, others will realize they need to hone their skills more to carry on (I fall into, fell into, this category with the MMP 57 it sits under my bench waiting to be completed), the remaining will give up.

Mickoo,

Well that was what I was saying! Or I thought it was.

By the way, you say "The issue with 'kits' of diesels is that the majority will be be built, or attempted to be built by those with variable skill sets"

But isn't that the issue also with steam loco kits. As regards yourself, well if you can make such a beautiful job of the Bulleid Pacific you have just built - then an MMP Class 57 would be a walk in the park for you.

DJP

Last edited:

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Hello Col

You raise some interesting points I think. We tried to get a very small way down this road with the MMP diesels, with things like seperate grilles along the cantrails of our classes 40 & 56 and very intricately detailed NS parts, but all we got were bleats about them being hard to build. In fact the only Class 56 I ever saw built with stright roof grilles was Simon Varnam's online build on his BOGOL website. I never did see a Class 40 with them fitted correctly!

So I kind of think that although it would be perfectly possible to produce an etched diesel kit with all the external, underfloor and bogie detail [not the engine etc.] for around the price of a JLTRT loco, most would not choose to build it if there were a resin or a RTR alternative available. And therein is the dilemma for any would-be manufacturer in metal. Not that it would put me off as I wouldn't be doing it primarily for money these days. Still, that is unrealistic as it then becomes purely an indulgence rather than a viable business proposition - and we are back to the point you made in your post.

The last thing you would want as a manufacturer is to put out something just for love and STILL be slated for it. But I strongly suspect that would be the outcome. We shall see.

Its kind of why we have had masters sitting around for our Sprinter DMUs for so long. I just cannot see how we can put out dmu kits with 90+ parts in the bogies and around twenty intricate underfloor assemblies [before you even get into the actual car bodies] for less than around £350-£400 per car.

People seem to be prepared to pay for steam loco kits and they seem able to build 'em. Are we saying that diesel modellers don't have the skill of their steam-powered counterparts? Surely not!

Regards

DJP/MMP
Dave,
I have built several of your wagons and I found them enjoyable and engaging,and incredibly great value for money. I'm by no means an expert builder, but I enjoy the challenge of building something from 'the flat' in to a 3D resemblance of the real thing. I love to see perfect models, both RTR and scratch or kit built. I'm very fortunate that I can devote a large amount of time to playing with my trains, so, for me, time isn't an issue. I enjoyed building my resin diesels, and they are a very good representations of the real thing, but felt the experience of building was too quick!
I hope I have the pleasure of building an MMP 33 in the future.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
..............but the £3,300 asking price is too rich for my blood............

Dave

Know how you feel :D Dave, this is it with model railways the best models will attract collectors with bottomless wallets, and so will keep it profitable for companies in that market, I know of collectors/modellers who have probably spent £30-40,000 on only ten loco's.

I must admit I came away from Kettering feeling a little depressed at the amount of money being thrown around, I have on occasions seriously thought about giving up model railways for a cheaper form of model making ( plastic kit bashing?) especially when I consider my own ambitions which are getting expensive in the long run.
I wouldn't give up building for others which is all I do really, I could never afford myself as it were.

Col.

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
You wouldn't belive how many people have paid me upwards of £500 to repaint a Masterpiece loco to the 'correct' shade
You would think that for prices around £3000 the colours could be a bit closer to prototype.
Interesting to see what the colours are like on the westerns,
Just for reference, their BR green is actually Mid Bronze Green (BS223) which looks far too pale and greyish