Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Area 51' started by matto21, 5 January 2020.
Very crude replacements, but better than the originals. Thanks @AJC for the tip!
I thought they had a sort of ship's wheel arrangement? Not that they're easy to see, of course.
They do, and there's something similar on the BB etch but they're a bit on the small side. These are a better size and in the gloom, hopefully no one will really notice!
A final few pictures before it joins the queue for the paint shop!
Roof temporarily attached and replacement stove pipe made from drilled plastic rod:
And a very cruel close up showing the crude detailing in the cab area:
I'm pretty pleased for a refurbished model!
Bit of painting practice. Parkside Pipe wagon originally built and basecoated in Bauxite in 2011, but stalled ever since.
Weathered and finished off yesterday and today. No door bangers sorry, life is too short!
Couplings will be fitted later, I usually like to make a few pairs at the same time to avoid tedium!
Good stuff, Matt.
Bit of a novelty item, and as such, I'm prepared to accept any errors!
Red Panda Lowfit with an old Lima bogie, tarted up with some questionable details added from plastic sheet and other odds and ends!
Still quite a bit left to do before it's finished.
Leaving aside the obvious (that the LIMA bogie has undersized wheels), are you modelling that Lowfit from a picture? That's a fitted wagon that would have been Bauxite/Brown. Quite possible that one in departmental service git a coat of grey but rare... What you *really* need is one of these (scroll down - tongue in cheek!): Sprung Coach Bogies | Rumney Models
Yes it is based on a photo taken from the Bartlett site and it looks grey to me (but could also be green - maybe it's my eyes!).
And yes, the Lima bogie is questionable on many levels, but it's a bit of fun! The Rumney bogie is a class apart and beyond my skills...plus I'd have to part with cash and this is a cheap and fun project!
You mean this one? BR Lowfit wagons low open merchandise OLV, ZDV ZVV ZSV ZSW | ADB453182 ZDV (shown in the next few pictures in the gallery with the bogie top in black and white)? Faded engineers' Olive Green, I think.
That's more like it!
Finished...not 100% accurate, and the Lima bogie leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm happy with it nonetheless.
Despite things slowing down as predicted, I have found time to finish off this old Parkside Grampus kit that's been on my bench for ages.
It's the older (original?) kit - I rebuilt the end planks from plastic sheet as the originals had deformed and added a few bits and bobs including Lanarkshire buffers.
I've painted it to represent a grubby rusty example inspired by photos on the Bartlett site. I'm not really happy with the markings, which are from Modelmaster, but they were all I had available.
Almost a year later, I've finally managed to finish this sentimental and nostalgic wagon.
In a nutshell, I originally built it in the mid-90's, it survived, albeit broken and scruffy until 12 - 18 months ago when I decided to strip it down and rebuilt/repair it. I finally managed to get it repainted and weathered this week.
Yes it's a bit rough around the edges, and I know there are a few gaps here and there, but it's a pretty old kit which I was determined to breathe new life into.
Looks good Matt, I remember building one of these in the 90s prior to the Hornby model appearing much later. A bit of a s#d if I remember correctly. Never really ran well but looked ok, although not a patch on yours.
If there are any faults, Matt, the great effects achieved prove an enjoyable distraction.
Thanks for the comments Jonte and Chris. It's nice to breathe new life into an old wagon.
Last year sometime, I bought a bundle of second hand Parkside wagons on ebay. Included in the bundle was a Parkside Rudd. Now I have zero use for such a wagon, as it's outside of my chosen period, but I fancied giving it a go regardless. Masking is going to be "fun".
A while ago I tweaked a Parkside VEA by replacing the moulded door handles, which made a big difference. I've got a batch of 3 others, all previously built and painted and I've started working on these too. The main task again will be to replace the handles with 0.33 wire. As they're already built, painted and decalled, to save time I'm aiming preserve the finish as much as possible and just patch paint/weather them. I actually really enjoy reworking wagons I've built previously and bringing them up to my current standards.
The first two VEA's have come off the workbench tonight. Other than the aforementioned door handles, I didn't really like the colour of the grey paint after my weathering first time around. I elected to repainted the grey to a shade I was happier with, but was careful enough to not have to replace any of the markings. After that, I just reweathered them to blend everything together.
The Bauxite one is still to be started.
Took advantage of some rare free time last night to complete the third van from the trio. This time it's a Bauxite one.
Once again I've replaced the door handles and then patch painted and reweathered it although I'm not too happy with the underframe, so it might need some more work.
While I'm in the mood for redoing old stock, and vans in particular, I've uncovered some Bachmann VAA's so might give them a go later.