7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Makes my 18 month (to date) Crosti build look a bit insignificant!

The thing is though is that we have a bit of a grumble about the quality of some of these kits, but for me the challenge of trying to elevate the the finished item to a much higher standard is strangely compelling. I guess it's a bit different for you Mick as you are building for commission and just want to get the project done ASAP.

Mike
Yes and no, normally a build takes about 4-6 weeks if it's out of the box, even then with uplift 3D it doesn't take much longer, sometimes less as you're not fighting poor kit parts.

I personally prefer quicker builds because the pay day comes around quicker (you have to remember I had a monthly pay check for 37 years so you're tuned into that routine), but at the end of the day you still get the same hourly rate so it'll be two at four weeks or one at eight, both to the same value.

I have no issue elevating kits if the base model is designed well and fits, those like Gladiator and David Andrews are good examples, bread and butter models with the odd legacy error here and there. Those you can work with and with a little effort detail them nicely. What I abhor is spending hours correcting junk etches that will never fit and castings that are better used for traction weights, that cost's me time and the customer ££££

Cheap kits are really expensive to build and I'm afraid to say it's heart breaking when you tell people that the box of bits they have will never come close to a level they've set their sights on, even if you threw a lot of money at it. As a builder I feel you have a duty of care to warn clients of the projected cost before you start and in some cases does mean/has meant, the loss of work; but I'd rather have that than disagreements later on in the build or over the final cost.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
"Cheap kits are expensive to build". I can testify to that!

I sometimes think the sellers of some of the poorer kits would be better off managing potential customers' expectations by stating that said kit is simply an aid to scratch-building a model.

Still, I'm hoping my MOK Q1 kit will be a breath of fresh air when I get round to starting it. Having said that, I certainly wouldn't turn down the opportunity to utilise some Q1-shaped parts if you feel the urge to conjure some up.

Have a great holiday.

Mike

chigley

Western Thunderer
"Cheap kits are expensive to build". I can testify to that!

I sometimes think the sellers of some of the poorer kits would be better off managing potential customers' expectations by stating that said kit is simply an aid to scratch-building a model.

Still, I'm hoping my MOK Q1 kit will be a breath of fresh air when I get round to starting it. Having said that, I certainly wouldn't turn down the opportunity to utilise some Q1-shaped parts if you feel the urge to conjure some up.

Have a great holiday.

Mike
Mike, just bought mine yesterday

mickoo

Western Thunderer
All of which reminds me..... I haven't sorted yours yet Brian :mad:

I do want to sort something out for the Q1 regarding 3D but need a few more bits of information first.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick - not a problem! You have a business to run.

B
Yes, and part of that was to sort your Q1 ;)

I still have three engines still to strip down and clean for paint (today's tasks) and a pile of 3D to do. Sadly the latest BLP roof failed catastrophically, it was due to finish today at 11:00 after a 35 hour print, a quick peek this morning (05:30) showed no roof attached to the build plate, which basically means the machine had been running for the last 30 something hours printing nothing :headbang: .....note to self.....check the bleedin machine more often....

You can get so used to it churning stuff out that you just tend to forget to check and it had to fail on the most time consuming job, all of which means I'm now out of time to print another before the show :mad:

It does mean I can now print a whole pile of quicker smaller stuff for other customers but that wasn't part of the game plan leading up to the show so there's quite a bit of shuffling packages around to maximise the remaining time.

I nearly bought a second machine a few weeks back, wish I had now and will certainly do post vacation.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I hope you made it Mick. as no one on my flight yesterday made their connections in Chicago, except the passenger going to Little Rock.

Richard