7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
There's little point on the MOK Q1, it's already got an excellent pedigree and metal casing, what it really needs is a 3D boiler base as a light blocker and a smoke box unit if you wanted to open the door. I've got the info but not the MOK kit yet to measure it all up to fit or more importantly, time to sort it all out.
Thats fair enough. I bought the MOK Q1 kit a couple of years ago and haven't really had a chance to study it in detail since then. I think building the Crosti kit over a protracted period kind of conditioned me into think that all kits need substantial modifications/upgrades! :eek:

Mike

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thats fair enough. I bought the MOK Q1 kit a couple of years ago and haven't really had a chance to study it in detail since then. I think building the Crosti kit over a protracted period kind of conditioned me into think that all kits need substantial modifications/upgrades! :eek:

Mike
Not MOK, out of the box you need to do very little to be honest and get an excellent model.

Any upgrades are because you want to and not because you have to and that's a big difference.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
What makes a Mars 3 the "go- to" for wax prints?
Nothing, other than waxes are traditionally small parts so why the massive bed plate, kind of like collecting you're weekly bread shop order in a 7½ ton truck.

The Mars is a smaller machine and the 3 is a proven unit; I'm not sure the 4 with it's extra resolution is worth the price tag for the sort of work I do.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Thank you... printing waxes for LWB has become a necessary evil in this locality so I hope that you can let WT benefit from your experiences.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thank you... printing waxes for LWB has become a necessary evil in this locality so I hope that you can let WT benefit from your experiences.
Sadly I'm finding I probably need to do it just to replace kit castings to meet (at bare minimum) customer expectations.

3D is a viable alternative for chunky WM parts, although the material is unknown long term it can't be any worse that some of the bags of crumbled WM I've had to sift through.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
One of the tricky bits coming up is trimming the front etch to match the 3D profile, I could use the test saddle tank but it has a raised middle plate and the front follows the lower one underneath.

Enter the profile puck, a quick slice off the 3D tank to give the required pattern to file too. There’s often little thought to using 3D as a means to make tools, formers or dollys, in big lumps it’s quite robust.

I’ve a few more Pannier tanks to do so may apply the same trick to making a solid former to bend the wrapper around and get neater, straighter and more uniform radii.

45989df1-c2b0-40f9-9b6c-4fb7b91def01.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Why does your header say LNWR 2-4-2? I want to read about that expressly, being a LNWR man.
Because it hasn't been updated to reflect the current workload I'm afraid.

The LNWR 2-4-2T is one of four ongoing (current build) projects so folks will have to be patient until it comes around again in the cycle of work, probably in a couple of weeks I'd say.

There is some 2-4-2T work a few weeks back but you'll have to scroll back to find it and I think some from a few months back as well.

I keep all my commercial work in one place, I don't have time to generate, update and refresh threads for each individual project I do I'm afraid.

I will update the header now and have made an executive decision :)), I'm going to just delete the whole work list as I don't have the time or memory to keep editing the header for all the models I'm doing as I switch between them, usually weekly, sometimes daily.

For the record, the immediate (this and next month) projects are :-
LNWR Precursor 4-4-2T - upgrade Gladiator.
LNWR 2-4-2T - upgrade Gladiator.
Broad gauge Buffalo - convert Scorpio.
Bulleid pacific full metal jacket (FMJ) - upgrade Finney7.
Bulleid Pacific Giesel FMJ upgrade pack - new package.
Reassemble after paint two Bulleid FMJ's - Collection shortly.
Reassemble after paint BR Jubilee - Collection shortly.
Easybuild 4TC cab front.
GWR 850 - clean and prep for paint
BR(E) 04/5 - clean and prep for paint

Shortly I'll be working though, in no particular order other than which best suits the clients (next month onward, probably March actually):-
JLTRT Castle - 2 off.
JLTRT Crab.
DA Royal Scot.
DA Princess Royal
Gladiator Brighton Atlantic.
DA S&DJR 7F.
Finney7 Princess Coronation.
Bespoke etched BR(W) H13 restaurant coach.

Long term :-
LNER A7 - new etches.
LNER A8 - new etches.
LNER Q6- upgrade DJH.
LNER V1/3 - upgrade DJH.
ROD 04/8 - new etches.

I will have missed something, maybe even several things, but I always remember them at some point, just when is the only unknown.

Ohh.... I know one I've forgotten, print off all (150 or so) the Finney7 B1 brass casting masters ready for sending to the caster.

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
You could just make the thread title generic to your commercial workbench, then utilize thread marks when you change projects.
I could and that is a very good point, I will ponder that as the wine bottle empties ;)

It does also mean I have to remember to do that (something which I'm currently very :shit: at....the failure to edit the title is a perfect example) and extra editing each time; overall I don't think it'll add anything extra to the thread other than making other peoples lives easier and mine more complicated :))

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I think we’re pretty priviledged to be able to see what some top pro builders are doing so I reckon we watch quietly and not ask too much!
If you run a heavy (long) thread, your's, mine, Oldravendales photos, Pencarrows workbench and several others....Spikey Faz, Heather, Richard Carr...etc, it actually take a bloody lot of time.

I have cut back over the last year or so (honest) and tend to just cut and paste what I put on FB, that way I don't have to remember if I've written something different in each place.

Having said that, FB is more dynamic and I do post there and not here occasionally, primarily because this place is less receptive (no, wrong word, conducive?) to the rapid fire instant gratification postings you tend to get on FB. That's fine, each platform has it's own comfort zone/aura.

The above Buffalo 3D profile puck is a perfect FB post, 'hey guys what about this as a cool idea', here it's more 'yeah, and!' kind of feeling/feedback (lack of), but that's fine, that's how this place works and you accept it or move on.

FB is more like you're upbeat music (expensive drinks) type of venue, WT is more like the local pub with open fire.

I personally don't think there's enough interaction here, where it really matters, folks just take for granted X, Y, Z are going to post a really interesting update every few days or weekly; don't be surprised if one day they don't.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
If you run a heavy (long) thread, your's, mine, Oldravendales photos, Pencarrows workbench and several others....Spikey Faz, Heather, Richard Carr...etc, it actually take a bloody lot of time.

I have cut back over the last year or so (honest) and tend to just cut and paste what I put on FB, that way I don't have to remember if I've written something different in each place.

Having said that, FB is more dynamic and I do post there and not here occasionally, primarily because this place is less receptive (no, wrong word, conducive?) to the rapid fire instant gratification postings you tend to get on FB. That's fine, each platform has it's own comfort zone/aura.

The above Buffalo 3D profile puck is a perfect FB post, 'hey guys what about this as a cool idea', here it's more 'yeah, and!' kind of feeling/feedback (lack of), but that's fine, that's how this place works and you accept it or move on.

FB is more like you're upbeat music (expensive drinks) type of venue, WT is more like the local pub with open fire.

I personally don't think there's enough interaction here, where it really matters, folks just take for granted X, Y, Z are going to post a really interesting update every few days or weekly; don't be surprised if one day they don't.

My Pencarrow thread is a monster and I have reduced posting but do use threadmarks. The threadmarks are for my benefit, so I can find how I did stuff when I have to do it again. If others find them useful, that's a bonus.

Carry on Sir Mick...