7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

mickoo

Western Thunderer
BLP Lego all installed, nothing no one hasn't seen before.

I just need to pin the hangers to the springs and then finish the brake rodding to finish this section off.

With luck I'll also get the drain cocks and linkages done tomorrow along with the injector bodies, pipework will have to wait until the cab and casing are in place.

42aa4f71-c15a-4891-9652-860364fbc4b7.jpg

677d5b43-2cd8-4352-b09b-1ebc6beb0a5b.jpg

bc1dad0d-4593-4cd7-9a57-e01c8eb5dcbf.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I know you've done a few of these now Mick but the progress photos and updates are still very interesting. Whilst the builds may be becoming routine I still think your approach is developing and getting better with each one. A long way round of saying keep posting photos and updates...

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Is Finney7 planning to add the lego to the BLP kits? Rather a nice addition to an already superb kit.

Dave
Dave,

No I’m not, these stay firmly with myself, as do all my 3D printed works. The reasons are not for the public, other than they safeguard both parties.

I’ve done a few bits to upgrade the Finney kit with etched extras, like corrected cab sheet work (included in the kit) wheel overlays, cab interior framework and alternative smoke deflectors etc.

But currently (and foreseeable future) all 3D remains distinctly with myself.

Last edited:

Fitzroy

Lets start again in the right thread :rolleyes: :headbang:

First of the Bulleids is back up on it's feet and rolling nicely. Next step is all the details and internal parts.

I've decided to go with micro magnets to hold the smokebox door closed, though just the small amount of paint that's got in the hinges is enough friction to hold it closed quite well.
Only just seen this but.... Scrum-diddly-umptious!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I know you've done a few of these now Mick but the progress photos and updates are still very interesting. Whilst the builds may be becoming routine I still think your approach is developing and getting better with each one. A long way round of saying keep posting photos and updates...
This is the first FMJ just going across the desk in it's rebuild, there have been changes along the way but essentially it ends up looking like this.

ca878fd0-a5fa-4764-aa5e-91f34ab92bcd.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Spinning more plates here, finally got around to fitting the sliding sand cover doors, they work....phew! Next up the 3D sand filler behind which I'll draw up shortly and fit.

The smoke box door design has been constantly evolving, getting it to move freely and hold shut with the magnets has taken more time that I envisaged. It now all works, though the door and sealing ring parts could benefit from a slight revision.

The old parts work fine but the revised parts may just make life a touch easier; I'll have a play in the next few days and test it on engine #2.

7cfffbe3-5233-48eb-813d-5de4fc3643bf.jpg

ffffe890-6e7a-478d-b6f8-ddda7aca4cfc.jpg

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Mick.
In many of your posts, the printed parts - especially those permanently attached to metallic components - look to have been red oxide primed. Is that to protect them from subsequent etch primer? In the latest Finney Bulleid they look to be as printed. Will these be primed before painting the whole chassis?
Dave.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Dave, possibly not, red oxide filler primer is used to look for issues and to fill any small imperfections etc, it's more important for top side stuff and less so for chassis stuff.

There's also a bit of vanity in painting it red oxide to highlight it for viewers, but it comes at a cost in time; for topside stuff then I'd still do it, but for chassis stuff then there's no real advantage, especially if time is tight or a deadline is approaching.

The final model appearance also has a big impact, if it's going to be glossy factory then the prints have to be really smooth and the extra layer from the filler primer helps, if it's going to be weathered or the part is matt then any small imperfections are invisible.

The Buffalo saddle tank is high gloss finish so took about four days to prep and spray, the down side is that if the painter sprays thinners on it or a wet coat with a high level of thinners in it, then it'll wash out all the filler primer. You can go from hero to zero very quickly when painting 3D prints, it's a whole new way of doing things.

The current Bulleid is late in life and will be weathered, it also needs several inspection hatches removed or opened, so I need to model what's behind as well. If I painted the chassis in gloss black it would reveal very faint layer lines (0.05mm or less), spray the same model satin and they're only visible under a magnifier and at the right lighting angle, spray it matt and they're invisible.

At the risk of committing public hari-kari here's some shots of the 2P, this was the change over point for me in understanding the whole process from CAD to finished model, you have to think about the finally product right back at the CAD design stage, you can save yourself a lot of work.

Here's the model with filler primer on, we're looking at the smoke box, it looks smooth and has been prepped as such.

IMG_1834.jpg

Here's the same model with gloss black, notice the faint layer lines; they're actually compression and suction lines rather than layers and I run new settings to reduce these now. You can just see the faint diagonal lines across the smoke box.

IMG_2840.jpg

This is the same model, no changes to the surface (except oily thumb print) with matt paint and weathering.

IMG_3020.jpg

There's way more to the whole process than just throwing smarties at the CAD monkeys and sticking the resultant Lego on the model I'm afraid.

I'll readily admit the lines on the 2P when it came back were a big surprise, I dropped the ball on the prep work, luckily the client wanted weathered which I knew would work.

It's all part of learning to work with the new material, but that was a miss that was too close; I went back and re-evaluated my processes, print settings and work flow to help reduce these artifacts.

Last edited:

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Mick.

Thank you very much for such a thorough and frank explanation.
My question arose because I have commissioned (both CAD & printing) some printed detailing parts on my latest 4 mm scale model (C13 in Area 51), which is my first experience with this process. Having seen your primed parts, I asked the supplier about painting his items and he expressed a slight concern that metal etch primers might embrittle the print material so a protective primer might help. As many of the parts are quite tiny, they would be hard to paint with an aerosol can without being blown away, so I was thinking of decanting some Halfords Plastic Primer and brush painting the relevant parts.
As commissioned parts, I obviously have no control over layers or print orientation but the items look quite smooth under slight magnification, even in the raw. My model will be heavily weathered, so perhaps the surface finish is not too critical, as you mention.
Thanks again and please keep posting your informative and inspiring post of your work.
Dave.