Mickoos European dabblings

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Just to show I have a Euro interest, here are a few pics I took in Paris 2010. The BB15000 class loco is equipped for push pull operation. Note the stowaway aboard the TGV :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Awsome, I love those shovel nosed electrics, a derivative is also used in Holland, and yes, they are on my list of models I want to add to my collection ;) I have the info and some drawings to be getting on with, just not the time.

I was fortunate to see one of the bigger CC multivoltage class in Belgium, the French ones were a fancy silver with red trim and the noise was impressive as it screamed past, later I got haulage by one of the Belgium ones in Silver with yellow and blue trim on a rail tour from Oostend to Brussels where we picked up out planned haulage by a Nohab on which I managed to blag a cab ride ;) That is one Euro can I keep a very tight lid on, Nohabs and Belgium EMD 567 locos....which reminds me, I really must start to scan my 35mm collection.

The TGV's are nice as well, I like their styling and the Duplex and Thalys are also very dashing, oddly I don't think the Eurostar has quite the same impact, though all three are from the same design board and stable, Eurostar is just a quart in a pint pot TGV.

Anyway, here in glorious technicolour is a 'real' engine,
Image1.jpg
and yes I am trespassing....but only a little bit :cool:, but it was very early on a Sunday morning and a quite totally isolated yard ;) In fact I wandered around the whole depot at Aarhus
MFA 5058a.JPG and saw only one person who said good morning and walked right past me.

I had the fortunate pleasure of travelling on one of these IC3 a few days later after a monumental cock up in my travel arrangements! Like being late for my flight by 12hrs, followed by a mad overnight rush to the other side of the country to pick up a morning flight back to the UK.

These are impressive units, very quite, very smooth and bleedin fast, they're diesel mechanical with a seven speed gearbox and auto engine management, gears 1 to 4 step up real quick to around 40mph then in gear five they really let go, the engine digs in the note changes to a deep growl and you can really feel the turbos kick in and they accelerate really fast, gear six comes in around 70mph and still pulling and gear seven is around 90mph which is more like an overdrive and takes it up to the top speed of just over 110mph.

The only way you know it's changing gear is the engine noise, there is no lull in the pull or acceleration, I understand that the engines do not all change gear at the same time, there are four engines to a three car set so by staggering the change over by a few seconds you get an almost smooth acceleration curve.

Everything on these units is modular for a quick change over, here's a fuel tank and engine ready for servicing I suspect, given the dirty state of them
IMG_9033c.JPG

Here's one of the bogies, the engine and transmission are one rotation only, obviously engines cannot run backwards but the gearbox is a one way set up and reverse is done at the final drive on the bogie
IMG_9034c.JPG
The white bags are there to protect the primary suspension springs, the grey disc is where the drive shaft attaches and the lever arrangement on the rear of the gearbox is the reversing mechanism. Braking is done by those vented discs on the axle, no tread brakes here.

There are two types of bogie, this one has four 'small' white bags which means it is a mid train bogie and supports two coaches, behind is a bogie with two 'large' red bags this is an end of train bogie, basically it's three coaches on four bogies and four engines on the outer coaches, the middle coach has no power plants.

Yes, I also have enough photos and info to make one of these as well, plus I'm planning a Euro trip next year in Germany but might pop North and grab what ever shots I need for existing projects....I didn't take nearly enough detailed TRAXX images last time.
241.005f.JPG
Padborg is the change over from Danish 25Kv to German 15KV, although there are wires the full length of the change over sidings there is no power, when the loco enters from either end they drop their pantographs and coast through the siding, when they stop they then raise the correct pantograph for the new country and supply. This loco will remain on this train for the whole journey which started in Sweden and will end up probably in the German heartland. Though it could of started in Norway which would use the German 15KV pantograph.

This TRAXX version only has two pantographs so is limited to 25Kv or 15KV both AC, other sub classes can have four pantographs and cover DC as well, I think there are only a hand full that can cover all of Europe but most are for specific operators on specific routes. One interesting thing is that even though Switzerland is 15Kv like Germany their pantographs have a much smaller head due to curvature and tunnels. Swiss locos can work into Germany but have to be careful that the wire does not have too much lateral swing as it'll drop off the head, so they are limited to certain routes that have been modified and cleared for native Swiss locos, plus adding in the required cab signalling.

Conversely locos fitted with a DC pantograph may not be truly universal, Belgium runs on 3000V DC, as does Italy and Spain, but Holland and southern France still run on 1500v DC so the universal DC locos only run at half power in Holland and France. There are now though (I think, kinda lost track on TRAXX production these last few years) some dedicated DC/DC/AC/AC engines that can accommodate the two DC systems and two AC systems.

The best thing about Hectorrail is that they name all of their locos, this series are all named after Starwars characters, in this case #5 is Solo but the best #10 Yoda ;) yes I did get to bag some photos of that one.

Another TRAXX, this time a German owned one ripping through Middlefart in Denmark, the MZ in the train is under power and will probably be used for the final leg which will not be electrified or it could be balancing power, mind I do recall that this was a particularly long heavy train so it may have been there for the extra power.
185 337-0_11.jpg

Yes I do have more than enough info and details for a TRAXX loco, even got around to doing some 3D work for the cabs for each generation. Just never got around to printing them, nor the 110/140 cabs I did as well

3D print cabs.jpg

140 cab.jpg

The basic idea behind the TRAXX cabs is 3D printed but with a side overlay from the body to hold it in place and a thin etch front as well, that's why there's a small recess between the corners and the large flat pieces.

Book you say, been there, done that, Anglia Rails A personal view by Michael Davies: Travel | Blurb Books a rather boring affair really LOL, only sold one copy but had three printed for myself, it's nice to have something printed on your shelf though :) The problem is the pricing, they want so much before you even see a profit, I think my Profit margin is £1.25 per book so you can see how much they get.

It is a good service if you want books for a special occasion, my mate does it for wedding photos, much easier and cheaper to send wedding photo books out to guests and family than trying to get orders in from who and what each one wants, no one ever looks at wedding photos but a book seems much easier to pick up.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick,
You mention in a previous post a site that has drawings for German locos, could I trouble you for a link please?
Scale couplings in 1:32 must be fun for these locos, do you get the hooked shackle working? I gave up trying in H0 and I don't think even Weinert managed it!
Cheers,
Steph
Steph,

Just a quick update, I managed to find a page that lists all the drawings Peter has all on one page.

ZANDER-HEBA - Eisenbahnarchiv + Verlag

Two do not have images but looking at the product name and associated prices I'll guess that the €2.99 is a CD case and the €29.00 is the working drawings for the Br.64 class.

I still do not know the difference between working drawings for the locomotive genius and the ATLAS series description and drawings series. I have acquired a copy of the T18 drawings but have no idea which of the two CD's it is or if the drawings are duplicated on each CD, both have 29 drawings on and the one I have here has.....29 drawings on :eek:

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
...One interesting thing is that even though Switzerland is 15Kv like Germany their pantographs have a much smaller head due to curvature and tunnels. Swiss locos can work into Germany but have to be careful that the wire does not have too much lateral swing as it'll drop off the head, so they are limited to certain routes that have been modified and cleared for native Swiss locos, plus adding in the required cab signalling.

Mick,

I think it's that only certain small groups of SBB locos are fitted with a second wide-head pantograph and German signalling. It's much the use of national signalling systems which restricts loco movements these days than anything else. The multi-voltage loco often have an interlock between the signalling system, pantograph etc. - which is the reason the locos actually have to come to a halt when changing voltage.

Steph

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It was a small number of the the Swiss Re 4/4 I and Re 4/4 II locos which had a different head on each pantograph to accommodate the contact wire offset for travel into Germany and Austria.

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Mick, I shall have two examples of Becasse weathering on my layout at the Derby exhibition next May. Busy building a fiddle yard (of sorts) at the moment and the locos are in his studio awaiting their turn to be treated.

Cheers

Richard

Attachments

• Joinery.jpg
    Joinery.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 13

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick, I shall have two examples of Becasse weathering on my layout at the Derby exhibition next May. Busy building a fiddle yard (of sorts) at the moment and the locos are in his studio awaiting their turn to be treated.

Cheers

Richard
Richard, splendid, I hope he photos them and posts the images on his site ;)

Does the fiddle yard have a layout at the other end? Or is it just a display sort of yard.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ok, questions to the great WT collective

I'm sure somewhere on here, and quite recently too, and probably in one of my threads, someone posted a link to RAL colours for European locomotives, specifically German, the site listed not only colours but other pertinent notes to markings and periods.

I'm sure I book marked the page but it has mystapeared by all accounts :eek:

Can any kind soul point me to where it was or just tell me I'm barking mad

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Richard, splendid, I hope he photos them and posts the images on his site ;)

Does the fiddle yard have a layout at the other end? Or is it just a display sort of yard.

Mick, Yes, not sure if it's a diorama or layout! Four boards 1200 x 600 with backscenes. Built by Patrick Dalemans and his team at PAJ Modelbouw in Belgium (another website to drool over (http://www.paj-modelbouw.com/apps/photos/) so that I can exercise my small collection of gauge 1 locomotives. Sadly it spends most of its time in storage as my core interest is 0 gauge, however, it will have its first UK outing next May. I'm building a fifth board (fiddleyard) so that a selection of locomotives can visit the loco shed - Patsdorf Bw - from the right.
The photograph was taken when it was exhibited at Dortmund in 2011.

Cheers

Richard
Diorama.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
That looks nice, as do many of the other diorama / layouts in the link, lots of food for thought :thumbs:

Ok having established RAL colours for stock, the next chore is decals for Epoch IV, I really wish I'd paid more attention in German classes :rolleyes:

On top of that, some decent track, there are some very nice component kits and kit pieces but the prices are seriously wallet damaging :cool:

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard, my recommendation is that you (and anyone else interested) plan to visit the Auto & Technik Museum in Sinsheim, Germany over the weekend of 25/26 June next year. This annual exhibition (the only one of its type only for gauge 1 in Germany) brings together all the manufacturers of German railways in gauge 1 in Europe. There are also smaller traders and second hand dealers there too, although in recent years real bargains have been hard to find. The locomotive suppliers I look out for are Bockholt Bockholt Lokomotiven - Egon Bockholt & Söhne GmbH - Startseite Proform Modellbahnen in Spur 1 Kiss, KM1, Wunder Startseite - Wunder-Modelle.de Dingler and Marklin. Marklin have really improved their quality in the last 2 years to match Kiss and KM1. Bockholt and Proform are manufacturers in Germany and Switzerland respectively, with higher prices than imported models from Asia. Their engineering quality is, as you might expect, excellent.

Sources of stock are Hubner (now Marklin), Marklin, and KM1. The few I have (coal and ash wagons for the Bw) came from www.ebay.de

Hegob produces track in two grades of quality - wood sleepers and cast baseplates (very expensive) and integral plastic sleepers (twice the price of Peco gauge 1).

I will post some pictures when more progress has been made with stock weathering and my fiddleyard. The locomotives in the picture were borrowed (BR78 and 91 from Marklin and one BR93 from Kiss)

Here is the link to Sinsheim Spur-1 Treffen | Auto & Technik MUSEUM SINSHEIM

Cheers

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Oh dear :rolleyes:

Märklin 5772 Digital BR DB 212 225-7 OVP Begleitheft Spur 1 at that price it was rude not too and whilst I pondered picking up the other for a fraction more in blue beige, some one else whipped it from under my nose :eek:. At that price I have no concerns hacking it about ;)

That of course led to this,
BUCH - Die Baureihe V 100 - Peter Große

Spurred on by this photo I took in Rendsburg....goodness knows when but mid 80's I'd guess
212 053-3_Rendsburg.jpg
I'd forgotten these worked this far north, it was always the domain of the V160s and I've no proof that the V200.1 came this far north and the only V200.0 were the 17 loaned to the DSB in the autumn of 1981 as they passed through here, photo shortly when I can find it!

This upgrade was the genesis of the V100 scatter gun rabbit hole.
Umbau Märklin V 100.10 und V 100.20 in Etappen - Spur 1 Eigenbau - Spur 1 Gemeinschaftsforum

I was also very impressed with this conversion,
Umbau einer Märklin BR 80 - Spur 1 Eigenbau - Spur 1 Gemeinschaftsforum

You can pick these little engines up as cheap as £80 if you shop around, sure, it's a lot of work and all those extra parts were probably quite expensive, but the final result looks impressive, to me anyway and certainly cheaper than one of the higher end RTR examples.
Not sure about all that milling of the frames, might have been easier to get a new set etched up if I'm honest, but then etching is my 'biscuit' and I suppose milling is his :cool:

Umbau einer Märklin BR 80 - Spur 1 Eigenbau - Spur 1 Gemeinschaftsforum

Speaking of etching the next side project (W1 cab art work is the primary one) is perhaps a new chassis for the V100, simple plate construction and I've enough detail drawings to get something close, certainly in the bits that count.
Image1.jpg
I was never a big fan of the V100, but they do grow on you the more you research them and being so popular there's no shortage of photos on the web. Both the V100.10 and V100.20 have a slightly longer bonnet, hence the possibly new frame, the Marklin one is very chunky underneath and I wanted nice clean thin skirts with correct openings.

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
More postal deliveries this week ;)

IMG_4995.jpg

The Br.042 is nice as it has this very large four page spread in the middle
Image5.jpg
Scaled at 1:20 it's impressive and just a bit bigger than gauge 3 or 2½" gauge, this scale certainly has appeal, suddenly Spur 1 seems small. I've long had a hankering for a large engine, doesn't have to move, just to look at, as mentioned previously here my great granddad built live steam in what we think was 3½" or 5" gauge, my father reckons I'll end up there some day...maybe when I retire and I'm time rich :cool: I already have the Heba Br.41 drawings which are nicely detailed but there's information on the oil burning 042 derivative.

The web hunt is now on to see if any of these beauties worked north to Flensburg and possibly just over the Danish border to Padborg...stretching it, as it appears most DB trains stopped at Flensburg and picked up DSB motive power, very few as far as I can tell worked into Denmark with German power, I've one photo of a coal Br.41 at Bw Flensburg but no oilers.

Finally picked up another drawing CD
Image4.jpg

Very nice, some better detail drawings than previous offerings, certainly enough to scratch build a reasonably accurate model, next in the collection (when funds are released from other sales) will be the Br.50.

Twelve of these Br.50UK 'Kriegslok' were purchased from the SNCB, where they were built during the war at Haine and Croyére in 1943, I've not yet tracked down any pre DSB images of these twelve, but the search goes on. Two were stripped for spares, the other ten entered service in 1952-54 as the N class and N207 was the last operational machine whose fire was dropped on 30th May 1970.
N201_Fredericia_4.jpg
DSB N201 (Ex DRG/SNCB 50 2113) stabled at Fredericia, behind, one of Denmarks crack express pacific E class built under license from Sweden...but that's another project lurking under the bench ;)

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Blimey, you must have a cacophony of interest bubbles in orbit at the moment:)

Put me down for one when you produce a kit/etchings.....whatever it is:)

Richard