Mike Trice's 4mm Workbench

Mike Trice

Western Thunderer
I spent the last couple of days repairing 2 Pokemon balls (don't ask) for my Grandsons who think I am Mr Fixit.

Today I was able to start thinking about the hardware needed for the very visible streamlined end.

For want of any better method I folded up some 1mm N/S strip to form two lamp irons and soldered them. The double fold is used to fit them into pre-drilled holes then a cosmetic lower bar addd. Will show what I mean when they have been fitted.
IMG_4202.JPG
I am not aware of any make of vacuum and steam heat pipes that look anything like the ones used by the LNER so I have had to improvise.

A basic shape was bent up from 0.7mm copper wire:
IMG_4206.JPG
5amp fuse wire was wrapped around the core:
IMG_4208.JPG
A loop was made from 15amp fuse wire and the whole thing soldered and trimmed:
IMG_4213.JPG
A strip of thin brass cut off from a sheet was folded and twisted to form the blanking plate bracket:
IMG_4209.JPG

The vacumm pipe was then pushed into a 0.7mm hole in a spare piece of wood and the bracket trimmed and held in place with blutack for soldering:
IMG_4217.JPG
Crude but I think I will get away with it:
IMG_4221.JPG
Using similar techniques I put together a steam heat pipe complete with restraining link:
IMG_4219.JPG
Still need to tidy it up a bit.

Mike Trice

Western Thunderer
Cruel enlargements showing all the faults hardly visible to the naked eye!

The holes have been drilled in the resin end and the fittings applied:
IMG_4223.JPG
Earlier I mentioned cosmetic lower parts to the lamp irons. These have now been added but looking at the photo the right hand one looks as if it needs repositioning:
IMG_4229.JPG

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Hello Mike, just found this thread and very much enjoyed reading through it - hoping you add some further updates in due course :)

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Ah - yes, that can sap the enthusiasm a little: I hadn't realised the Merry Men of Margate were on the horizon.
I've not yet found myself in that position - a current build superseded by RTR - but I bet your one would look better than theirs, given the level of finish your chrome experiments have reached...

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Mike, having only recently joined WT and come across this thread, I am seriously impressed both by your ingenuity and the results of your labours. I look forward to seeing the final result in due course and am convinced it will be far better than the ready to run offering promised from Margate. Cheers Nigel

Mike Trice

Western Thunderer
It has been a while since I have updated this thread but I have been busy with other things. A strange behaviour of mine is I get the occasional urges to do some 3D modelling with a view to printing off something, so I don't forget how to.

Been playing with this pretty thing. Still some work to do:
Aerolite v11.jpg