7mm Mk1 Coach Castings

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Just Like a The Real Thing is a good start. Mr D Parkins of MMP should also be able to help. Oh, and Easybuild.

That should help, I hope. :thumbs:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Heather has covered the field... and which supplier you choose may be dependent upon how you view the individual parts. For example:- both EZ and JLTRT provide dynamos and dynamo support brackets, my preference is for the EZ dynamo and support bracket because the bracket is etched and a decent representation of the prototype - however that means obtaining the etch sheet which comes with an EZ coach kit. Again, both EZ and JLTRT provide regulator, cradle and lamp resistance box... in this instance my preference is JLTRT because those parts look more like the prototype.

Not mentioned by Heather is CPL which is a recognised source of fittings for GWR coaches. As the Mk.1 emergency brake / passenger control valves were based upon the GWR parts then CPL is the natural choice for this fitting.

Finally, vacuum cylinders... JLTRT supplies a "rivetted" part with the Mk.1 kits whereas the cylinder from the GUV kit appears to be a "smooth" case and hence more like the prototype - I have not had a GUV cylinder as yet although I have requested one recently.

delticfan

Thanks everyone, I have a EZ kit and the castings are good but I thought of adding a few more pieces on the ends of the coach like electrical connection and water supply fittings to the loos. I'm on the lookout for some good reference books now!

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have a EZ kit ... I thought of adding a few more pieces on the ends of the coach like electrical connection and water supply fittings to the loos. I'm on the lookout for some good reference books now!

We have bought these parts for our EZ Mk.1s:-

* RCH lighting connectors from JLTRT;
* Regulator cradle, regulator and lamp resistance box from JLTRT;
* Fusebox (the item with loads of wires out of the back face;
* Emergency brake gear / passenger control valve from CPL.

I am expecting to fit JLTRT water fillers to the EZ roof... and the jury is still out on which vacuum cylinder to use.

If you are modelling a carriage with dual heat then you can get the ETH connectors from JLTRT - supplied with the Mk.2 kits.

The sole reference book for details of Mk.1 design and build is "BR Mark One Carriages" (K Parkin, pub. HMRS) plus the supplement. Hugh Longworth has authored a book about the design types / Lots / running numbers, this book extends the history of the HMRS tome. You shall find lots of photos of Mk.1s in the WT Gallery and there is a topic devoted to the modelling of Mk.1s.

delticfan

Great help again, thank you. I had a look on JLTRT website I couldn't find the parts you mentioned for sale separately, perhaps you can request a parts list? I do like the EZ kit and the vast range they have of various diagrams, the CNC cut sides are really very good. A cost effective way to build up a full rake.