Model Shops Remembered

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
Bryan Scale Models in Bedford, with Geoff Spurgeon as proprietor - who helped me a lot when starting out in the 70s. I still have one of his riveting presses.

Tim

Firehead

Only just discovered this thread, and on reading through my eye was caught by your reference to Preston in the 70s.
Do you (or does anyone!) recall Mears Model Shop, at the bottom of Lune Street (if memory serves correctly...) - a 'branch' of the big Mears shop (department store?) on Fishergate. I only remember it because I had a Saturday/school holiday job there for a short while - would have been 1970-71 probably. I think it probably closed a very long time ago.
Yes, I do remember Mears in Lune Street, although it was primarily a toy shop. Model railways were on the first floor, mostly Hornby RTR stuff if I remember correctly. I don't know when it closed, I left Preston 35 years ago, but the company doesn't seem to exist any more.

Adrian's link above shows it in its later years.

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Once Saturday morning school was abolished, I got a job in H A Blunt & Sons, Mill Hill Broadway. Initially it was just Saturdays but later my hours expanded to include school holidays. This was in the late '60s and my pay on starting was 25/- a day but once Peter Blunt saw how much of my pay I returned in the form of purchased stock he gave me a rise to 30/- not long afterwards!

Peter and Alan were good bosses and their different personalities made an excellent introduction for a youngster into the world of work.

Crimson Rambler

Renovater

Western Thunderer
Max Williams, Lawrence Hill, Bristol. One day i walked in back in the early eighties and there was Guy Williams discussing with Max, i never did get to find out if they were family.

br2975

Over the years, in Cardiff we were blessed with
(i) "Bud Morgan", located in the Castle Arcade - primarily model aircarft, then model railways, followed by anything else you could think of
(ii) "The Model Shop" was located in Mill Lane, and was primarily model railways - I recall leaving there,clutching a Playcraft 009 'Decauville' 0-4-0T - later closed down and became of all things a 'sex shop'
(iii) "John Hall Tools" (Call on John Hall) in the Morgan Arcade did a sideline in model railways.
(iv) "Lendons" in Llanishen are still trading, in model railways, paints, tools and other kits etc and always worth a visit.
(v) "Terry's Train Shop" located in Broadway, Roath lasted but a few years, any potential punters being scared away by the off-hand, rude proprietor.
(vi) "Antics" - in the Wyndham Arcade, a general model shop, with a limited selection of railway items, but well stocked with the necessary tools, metals, styrene etc.
(vii) "Lord & Butler" Penarth Road solely model railways, and a vast emporium.

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Does anyone remember the model shop on Northam Road in Southampton? I used to frequent the place and bought several Wills Finecast kits there in the late 1960s.

Sadly, the owner decided to retire and then died almost immediately after closing the shop.
That was City Models and Woodkraft from memory. It was a real dark hole of a shop, with items generally at RRP rather than a ‘good deal‘.

In the early 2000’s a chap from Portsmouth opened up a new version of ‘City Models’, same street in Northam, but larger premises over the road from the original. Another fantastic ‘cave’ with loads of second hand bargains. He also did the swap meet trail occasionally. When I had a season ticket at St.Mary’s I’d usually pop in there for a trawl through the draws/shelves. Always thought it strange that a Portsmouth supporter would end up owning a shop that was right in the middle of the area where the Southampton supporters gathered before/after each match!

on the subject of Portsmouth model shops, Tony’s Trains in Hilsea was a great place to pick up a second hand bargain. He also did the local swap meet trail as well from memory.

Cheers,

Stephen

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Over the years, in Cardiff we were blessed with
(i) "Bud Morgan", located in the Castle Arcade - primarily model aircarft, then model railways, followed by anything else you could think of
(ii) "The Model Shop" was located in Mill Lane, and was primarily model railways - I recall leaving there,clutching a Playcraft 009 'Decauville' 0-4-0T - later closed down and became of all things a 'sex shop'
(iii) "John Hall Tools" (Call on John Hall) in the Morgan Arcade did a sideline in model railways.
(iv) "Lendons" in Llanishen are still trading, in model railways, paints, tools and other kits etc and always worth a visit.
(v) "Terry's Train Shop" located in Broadway, Roath lasted but a few years, any potential punters being scared away by the off-hand, rude proprietor.
(vi) "Antics" - in the Wyndham Arcade, a general model shop, with a limited selection of railway items, but well stocked with the necessary tools, metals, styrene etc.
(vii) "Lord & Butler" Penarth Road solely model railways, and a vast emporium.

Hi Brian.

Missing from your list is Beatties, where I worked firstly as a "Saturday lad" at 16 with Sully on the model railway section, taking it over when he departed a year later. I stayed for three years, leaving when I was 20.

Fast forward to April this year, now retired from the day job, and we find I'm "the lad" at Lord and Butler, exactly 40yrs since I went full time at Beatties...........and now working part-time for Peter Lord, who used to work at Bud Morgans........

Other shops I remember in Cardiff......Garth Model and another shop in Frederick street, the location of which is now under St Davids shopping centre and whose name escapes me.

As for Terry's.............unbelievable!