Modelling a Fährboot Wagen - a plastic exercise

AJC

Western Thunderer
Over in @oldravendale's Tim Mill's Photographs thread, we encountered an unusual sight, a German
Prototype - Tim Mills' Photos

@Yorkshire Dave identified it as a Btbs Fährboot-Behältertragwagen but without any pictures of the thing itself: Prototype - Tim Mills' Photos

As it turns out there's a 3D printed kit for this in H0 available in Germany: Bausatz Fährboot-Behältertragwagen BTbs 56, Epoche III Beschriftung - 3D-Druck (which looks pretty good but is, well, it's a bit small). I've reproduced one of the 3D renders below [purely for information and with all due acknowledgement).

Ferry_Boat_Flat_002.jpg

This provides all the detail you might need to build one but not, obviously, the measurements. The BR weight diagrams for Ferry Wagons give you some of those (from http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/Book_01_Issue.pdf):

Ferry_Boat_Flat_005.jpg

I'm not saying that I'll definitely build one, but as an exercise - in part to show how you can use these weight diagrams and a bit of additional information to make a reasonably accurate model - here it is.

This is not a terribly good weight diagram (some are very good and clearly derived very closely from GAs, this I guess comes from a German weight diagram - despite the reference to a GA! - and is consequently a bit crude). Here's the sketch, dimensions deduced from certain known components (buffers - available in 4mm from Lanarkshire Model Supplies give the height of the headstocks, W irons from Bill Bedford and most minor dimensions derived from proportions based on that and the images of the 3D printed H0 vehicle):

Fahrboot_Wagen_001.jpg

Note that there are a few aides memoire in the event that I decide to do something about it. What I don't have to hand are the dimensions of the 'Von Haus zu Haus' boxes shown in Tim's photos and described by @michl080. If anyone has one of the H0 renditions that would seem to be the easiest way to derive those.

There are a number of barriers - the springs and axleboxes and the lettering most obviously. None of these are insurmountable but it's otherwise a fairly simple wagon from a modelling point of view (though the containers are a tricky set of shapes to get right three times: resin casting is probably the answer there. The problem is philosophical: you're modelling a model and I'm blowed if I can think of a simple reason to find one on a Westcountry branchline.

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Found this on t'interweb which may assist with the container dimensions. There are other container types here.View attachment 144771

Perfect. I'll find another sheet of A4...

Adam

PS - there are detailed GAs of the Italian vans we were also discussing here: Rolling Stock Archives (well, I say that, I'm not sure that's true of the Ferry type, but the Fb seems to be identical in side elevation to the details given in the BR weight diagrams). These are much more complicated, however: all that matchboarding...

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
A thought: as there is already CAD for the HO model, is it worth contacting the designer and asking if they might be persuaded to rescale from 1/87th to 1/76th and print the results?

Of course, if the exercise is to enjoy the design and scratchbuild process that’s a different matter entirely, so ignore me and carry on! :drool:

AJC

Western Thunderer
A thought: as there is already CAD for the HO model, is it worth contacting the designer and asking if they might be persuaded to rescale from 1/87th to 1/76th and print the results?

Of course, if the exercise is to enjoy the design and scratchbuild process that’s a different matter entirely, so ignore me and carry on! :drool:

Oh the latter is the fun bit (for me) and I'd probably replace most of the twiddly bits in brass so the time saving is limited. The other factor is this: while I can get by in this context in French and Welsh and at least read Italian, sort of (years of medieval Latin for work you see), I have no German whatsoever! You'd still be on your own for the boxes as they don't do them and I think they're the tricky bit. But yes, that had occurred to me - the artwork for the lettering would be more useful as that's what makes the model.

Adam

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I didn't expect the turntables in the wagon floor. Much more complex than the standard DB wagon carrying the containers sideways. If the Dapol Interfrigo van was to 4mm scale you could have used its springs etc but it is HO. Doesn't anyone make parts for any of the BR ferry wagons in 4mm? They used European standard suspension. The containers look like a straight forward scratch building project now you have the dimensions.

Looking forward to seeing the model.

Reactions: AJC

AJC

Western Thunderer
I didn't expect the turntables in the wagon floor. Much more complex than the standard DB wagon carrying the containers sideways. If the Dapol Interfrigo van was to 4mm scale you could have used its springs etc but it is HO. Doesn't anyone make parts for any of the BR ferry wagons in 4mm? They used European standard suspension. The containers look like a straight forward scratch building project now you have the dimensions.

Looking forward to seeing the model.

Yes, they're really quite sophisticated - none of this you'll need a crane and a team of people who know exactly what they're doing to try to manage it safely (very British). Unhook, turn, shove, roll straight onto the lorry using the rails provided (very German). I don't know that anyone does suitable suspension - these from Stenson Models are as close as I know about: VBA 10 Leaf Springs with cowl style axle box 4mm for Bachmann Model – SM94D | Stenson Models

The units are absolutely standard RIV type springs as you say - and I'd like to do an SR Ferry Open as well at some point - so perhaps an approach to Justin Newitt for a quote might be the best way forward? The cost would be best defrayed over a few different vehicles so it's well worth thinking about.

Adam

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Doesn't anyone make parts for any of the BR ferry wagons in 4mm?

The closest you had in 4mm was the old Hornby model otherwise there is a definite shortfall of ferry wagon for both 4mm and 7mm scale which is surprising given the number seen in the UK. HO modellers have plenty produced by Roco and Liliput.

R6773_3196882_Qty1_1.jpg

AJC

Western Thunderer
The closest you had in 4mm was the old Hornby model otherwise there is a definite shortfall of ferry wagon for both 4mm and 7mm scale which is surprising given the number seen in the UK. HO modellers have plenty produced by Roco and Liliput.

View attachment 144774

It's a bit naff all round, isn't it? I've thought of putting a new chassis under one and rejected the idea for the moment as I'm not really sure that the body is worth it (though you can get the lettering!).

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
I'd lay odds the designer speaks English quite well. As a country, we insular Brits tend to be appalling at second or third languages.

For a one-off, though, I think the exercise as a scratchbuild is fun. Enjoy!

Yes - but it would be polite, at least, to make an initial approach in German! As I say, it's a relatively simple wagon, so the time saving is fairly limited.

Adam

michael080

Western Thunderer
Yes - but it would be polite, at least, to make an initial approach in German! As I say, it's a relatively simple wagon, so the time saving is fairly limited.

The 3d-model above has been created by "Sven", whose website is Fährboot Behältertragwagen BTbs 56 Looks like this Gentlmen is doing it mainly for his own pleasure. I am quite sure that he will agree to modify his model to 1:76 scale. If you don't mind, I will get into contact with him.

The description on the site says that this particular ferry boat wagon has been build only three times. The turntables are necessary because the containers would exceed the UK loading gauge otherwise. Only these wagons had them, all continental wagons had transverse rails.
I read that many of the initial wagons were actually rebuilt pre-war wagons of various origin.
I am pretty sure that it will be next to impossible to find a GA for this particular prototype, but I will ask Sven. :)

Michael

AJC

Western Thunderer
The 3d-model above has been created by "Sven", whose website is Fährboot Behältertragwagen BTbs 56 Looks like this Gentlemen is doing it mainly for his own pleasure. I am quite sure that he will agree to modify his model to 1:76 scale. If you don't mind, I will get into contact with him.

The description on the site says that this particular ferry boat wagon has been build only three times. The turntables are necessary because the containers would exceed the UK loading gauge otherwise. Only these wagons had them, all continental wagons had transverse rails.
I read that many of the initial wagons were actually rebuilt pre-war wagons of various origin.
I am pretty sure that it will be next to impossible to find a GA for this particular prototype, but I will ask Sven. :)

Michael

The BR weight diagram confirms the fleet size as three so that tallies - if you're willing then that would be great. Really, it's the transfers that are a bigger hurdle and if they've been drawn then that would be helpful - thank you!

Adam

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
It's a bit naff all round, isn't it? I've thought of putting a new chassis under one and rejected the idea for the moment as I'm not really sure that the body is worth it (though you can get the lettering!).

Totally agree - even the HO Roco and Röwa RTR wagons produced in the late 1960's have more detail than this and still hold their own against today's 4mm offerings from Hornby and Bachmann.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

View attachment 144774

Pete Harvey does a nice 7mm kit for a ferry van….

7mm VIX Ferry Van Kit

I had the Tri-ang version as a child and flashed out on the 7mm version, as a sort of nostalgia thing. Having made a start on one of the ends a couple of years ago, I now realise don’t have a clue what I’ve done with the rest of the kit….. :oops:

Edit: This is where I’ve got to so far….
79C4348A-AC74-42BE-BFEB-9A9797EBCC12.jpeg

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer

Pete Harvey does a nice 7mm kit for a ferry van….

7mm VIX Ferry Van Kit

I had the Tri-ang version as a child and flashed out on the 7mm version, as a sort of nostalgia thing. Having made a start on one of the ends a couple of years ago, I now realise don’t have a clue what I’ve done with the rest of the kit….. :oops:

Regards

Dan

The price reminds me why I stick with 4mm! Not that it’s a bad price for what you get, not at all.

Adam