Modelling a Fährboot Wagen - a plastic exercise

michael080

Western Thunderer
I received feedback from Sven Hansen, the guy behind the 3d-printed "Haus zu Haus" wagon. He is happy to rescale the wagon to other scales, but as he mentions, the wheel design needs to be considered. He mentioned that he has matching transfers and containers.
You can see more of his products at German insulated ferry van
He is friendly chap and is happy to be addressed in English language. If you want to contact him, the best way is to send him a message through Kontakt

cheers,
Michael

AJC

Western Thunderer
I received feedback from Sven Hansen, the guy behind the 3d-printed "Haus zu Haus" wagon. He is happy to rescale the wagon to other scales, but as he mentions, the wheel design needs to be considered. He mentioned that he has matching transfers and containers.
You can see more of his products at German insulated ferry van
He is friendly chap and is happy to be addressed in English language. If you want to contact him, the best way is to send him a message through Kontakt

cheers,
Michael

Thanks for doing that Michael, I'll drop him a line to see if the transfers are scalable (and perhaps one of the more interesting ferry tanks; I like the look of those a lot though obviously, you're on your own with the chassis). Meanwhile, I've made inroads into the new supply of plastic sheet and stocks of W irons:

Fahrboot_Wagen_003.jpg

The wagon bit is quite straightforward - any relief on the deck is hidden under containers, most of the brakegear is hidden and the details are simple enough (well, apart from the springs). By far the most complicated bit was making up a set of RIV type screw couplings. The buffers are from Lanarkshire Models and the running gear standard parts from Bill Bedford (they've been in the packet so long I may actually have bought them from Bill direct!).

Fahrboot_Wagen_004.jpg

So that's an evening of modelling time, just shy of an hour, and another twenty minutes to fix the W irons, buffers and couplings. I'm fairly certain that I have a suitable air tank and brakeshoes lurking somewhere. I've also dug out the drawings of the Italian ferry vans so perhaps another one of those might get started, they're rather fun.

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
There is a wailing and a gnashing of teeth, chez Chapman as the bow in the floor - which I've been in denial about - has grown to the point where scrapping is the only option. It's hard to brace a plastic container flat so I need a plan B. A sheet of single-sided copperclad has been ordered and some suitable angle sought and found (glory be!) which should provide all the torsion that might be necessary. All the bits, of course, can be reused...

Adam

Last edited: