Modelling the Midland in S7

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Having returned to modelling (S7) after a long break – spent playing with horses and writing locomotive books – I have started building my train set – late ‘nineties Midland Railway with only one planned anomaly (so far) – a Belpaire. Started in earnest just over two years ago with laying out the track plan in AutoCAD – four track London Extension – sort of.

I was involved last summer in helping a friend (who posts in a rival vineyard, one that I’m sure you will be familiar with) in the forum Pre-grouping – Modelling and Prototype – Midland Railway Company with his S7 Midland locomotive shed layout inspired by Hellifield. My primary task was to produce some functional point and crossing chair masters for him which later would also be used by me. I posted a few photos in September last year of some of these chairs on the WT forum Hartley Hills LNWR c1900 but because I don’t know how to put in a link from here to there, some are repeated below, they are all 85lbs outside key.

1 in 10b.jpg
1 in 10 common crossing

85lbs 1 in 5 Common I.jpg
1 in 5 common crossing

1 in 8 Diamond III.jpg
1 in 8 diamond crossing

Before making the additional chair masters that I will need, I decided to attempt the bit of modelling I most enjoy – locomotive building. However, not having used a file or a pin vice or a soldering iron etc in anger for so long I was concerned that I had lost what little form I had so I decided to start with a few etched locomotive kits before resuming scratchbuilding. Unfortunately, one trait I certainly have not lost during the break is a complete inability to build a kit without throwing away many of the bits away - either replacing them or at the very least modifying them.

The initial recipient of my attentions is a Class N 0-6-0T which while theoretically being built from the Slater’s kit is but the latest example of this approach. When Ian Rice observed in his book on etched locomotive construction there is a difference between building locomotive kits and building locomotives from kits, he summed up my approach in a nutshell.

When finished it will be No. 1997 because this was allocated to Wellingborough when new. It moved away after a few years but I suspect that No. 1997 was the only one of that batch that stood any chance of getting south of Bedford but if I’m honest it is pretty remote one at best. It also means it can be finished in the Vulcan Foundry’s version of Midland livery as worn in the photo of sister engine No. 2012 that appears in Jack Braithwaite’s book – assuming I can get someone to paint it for me.

upload_2020-12-2_17-27-6.jpeg

Here are a few photos shewing some of the progress to date. These 0-6-0s were built with separate horn guides rather than hornblocks so after the frames had been separated in order that they can be spaced the scale distance apart 4ft – 2ins or to scale 1148 thou, I modified the design that came with the kit. The folded top hat section was discarded and instead a set of the cast Slaters hornblocks substituted save they were cut up to form separate horn guides thereby giving something more reminiscent of the prototype.
Frames.jpg
Using Imperial dimensions is another approach I have retained, in conjunction with marking out for example using a scale rule. One pair of pick-up holes have had to be added to each frame between the crank axle and the trailing axle – the original ones will be plugged.

Cylinders & Motion Plate.jpg

Revised motion plate – awaiting valve spindle guides along with levelling up the holes – together with the front and back of the cylinder ‘block’. The latter is made mostly from salvaged etch material. The original intention was to cut away the rear corners of the cylinder fabrication to clear the leading horn guides but by the time I realized that was going to be a bit difficult given the way I had designed it the horns were soldered in place. So instead I have followed the prototype and cut the latter to suit. There’s a moral there somewhere.

Rear Frame Spacers.jpg
Rear frame spacers which together form the dragbox under the bunker with the lower one carrying the toolbox. The latter is offset to clear the handbrake. After soldering they were put in the ultrasonic cleaner – a new toy – which promptly dislodged one of the door hinges. The corners of the frame spacers should be angled at 45° but I haven’t bothered – this engine was after all meant to be a ‘quickie’ to get me back into the swing of things! Famous last words!

Thus, originally, I wasn’t going to bother with bolt and rivet detail hence its absence on the cylinders but that sort of got forgotten by the time I renewed the buffer beams - drilling the different hole patterns between the front and back! Front on the left, rear on the right. Now it’s sort of progressed to add the bolt and rivet detail if its ‘noticeable’!

Buffer Beams.jpg

The ashpan has been widened to scale width using the etched one-piece front, top and rear plate cut in two as an armature. Unfortunately, I didn’t notice when I made the new ends and wrapper that the original ends were too shallow – while debating how to cobble something together or simply to scrap it and make a new one I wandered elsewhere making other parts. But before I sign off here is the platform with its revamped smokebox.
Platform.jpg

When I bought the kit, I arranged for it to be sans boiler – the hassle of rolling a replacement boiler from thin sheet and sorting out the cladding bands far more enjoyable than trying to solder that massive heat sink aka the kettle that form part of the standard kit. I have started to modify the cab opening in line with the prototype – presumably done to avoid the crew barking their shins – for some reason the step plate was set further back on the Class N and a few other batches of these tanks.

Quite a few other parts have been made but they are just that. Hopefully despite my other commitments – oh the joys of still working even through the current covid business – it will not be too long before I have assembled some of these into bits that are recognizably ‘locomotive’.

Crimson Rambler

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
If "Lanky" A class locos could be allocated to Bletchley, ok that was late LMS days, there's no reason why a Wellingborough engine could not get further south than Bedford in MR days. :thumbs:

Ian

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Ian

Its a lovely thought that occasionally No. 1997 got a chance to stretch her legs on the main line - so that will be my excuse.

Crimson Rambler

Dave Hunt

Hi Rambler. I've succumbed and here I am. Hope you got the photographs of the Compound - let me know which thread you post them in.

Dave

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Welcome David - and about time too!

You will find them (two) on Mickoo's Workbench approached via Action & Activity, Area 51.

Crimson Rambler

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
After a longer break than I anticipated here are some more pictures of the Class N 0-6-0T. Progress has not been as fast as I wished because it has been of the two steps forward one step backwards school. The primary cause of this slow advance was the decision, sort of hinted at in the initial post, to include more detail. This necessitated the replacement of some previously made parts.

Class N - Dragbox.JPG

The first of these revised parts being the dragbox. The toolbox has been given replacement hinges while the upper and lower angle iron frames have received their angled corners.

The latter in a way was followed from the decision to remake the buffer beams. Originally the 'meat' in the sandwich was wood but harbouring concerns about the possible effect long term of absorbed flux leaching out of the wood I decided to substitute Tufnol. From there it progressed to I might as well add the angle irons.

Class N - Buffer beams.JPG

The upper one is a view of the rear of the front buffer beam while the lower view is the outside of the rear beam.

Proceeding in a similar vein meant the front and rear faces of the cylinder armature were replaced in order to include bolt and stud detail.

Class N - Cylinders.JPG

The steps in the kit didn't look quite right so here are their almost completed replacements. They need the corners of the step plates rounding and the cleaning up completed. This engine predated turned up corners on steps.

Class N - Steps.JPG

Next a snap of the replacement ashpan together with the bottom of the firebox. Most of the stay and rivet detail on the sides will be hidden behind the frames - but that's all part of the fun of building engines!

Clas N - Ashpan.JPG

Damper linkage has not yet been made as it will only be added once the firebox is installed in the frames.

Class N - Frames.JPG

Work has continued on the frames with four pick up holes plugged and filed off flush on the inside. They were cut from spare etch fret of the same thickness as the frames so are slightly recessed on the outside. This I think the resulting shallow dimples will be hidden by the tyres. The axleboxes have been made and fitted in their guides. The 'boxes are 150 thou wide (say 3.75mm). The real engine had bearings 7.25ins dia. x 7.25ins long which in S7 scales to 0.166" x 0.166" - as it happens resulting proportionately in more or less the same area. I won't be adding any extra weight to the engine - its mass will be simply comprise the sum of its component parts.

Class N - Underside view.JPG

The final view shews the underside of the engine with some of the above components loosely placed in position just to check everything fits. Clearances are tight but they are clearances! Plus a reminder for me to cut a small hole in the platform under the bunker for the hand brake.

Crimson Rambler

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Thought it was hightime I posted more pictures shewing something of the progress that has been made to the Class N 0-6-0T. Unfortunately my last post in April coincided with the start of the new financial year and with it a raft of new work-related projects. This ensured, for the reason that will become clear at the end of this posting, that I would have limited modelling opportunities this spring/summer. Thus while some progress has been made it has been necessarily limited proceeding in fits and starts as and when time became available.

A situation not helped by a subconscious previous decision that had sort of crept up on me which essentially was to abandon most of the remaining parts of the kit. On balance, purchasing it was probably not one of my better financial decisions, yet it had the invaluable effect of nudging my modelling back into the direction it followed years ago!

DSCF7835.JPG

Whenever opportunity presented itself, efforts were directed towards making specific items which would enable sub-units to be completed. For example, all of the axleboxes, leaf springs and axlebox keeps have been made but only half are illustrated. In truth the springs need final soldering up as at present they are held together by their buckles.

DSCF7844.JPG
Replacement, separate life guards (as the Midland called guard irons) have been fitted to the frames - at a suitable juncture they will need bending into their final shape. The brake hanger brackets, brake release brackets and some of the angle irons have also been added to the frames. The buffer beams have soldered to the platform; both drawhooks have been made but only the front one fitted. The buffers will be fitted after painting – largely because I understand the professional painters prefer that to be the case.

The previously embryonic motion plate has been augmented so that it is now complete together with the slide bars. Likewise, the cylinders have been completed as has the firebox/ashpan assembly. Four of the six washout plugs in the 'box have been fitted but the remaining pair together with the damper operating linkage won't go in until the firebox has been soldered in place.

In due course the frames and the platform will form all one unit. I know this is a somewhat unusual approach but it is one I adopted with my first S7 loco and I think it is still the best approach if you are placing the frames the scale distance apart – 1.148ins in this instance. Unfortunately, because of the kit origins of this engine the portion of frame above the platform either side of the smokebox will comprise separate parts soldered on.

DSCF7841.JPG
For now the construction seen in the piccies is essentially relying on the fit of the sub-assemblies to hold it together. It will all be soldered in due course but the alignment will have to be corrected beforehand - there is a slight kink midway along one of the frame plates that must be eliminated. The firebox alignment will be corrected once it has been positioned centrally in the frame. There is a small clearance as per the prototype and currently it is sitting canted.

DSCF7845.JPG

The rear of the firebox and ashpan will be opened up after soldering to accept the motor/gearbox – an ABC unit. Holes for the sanding gear, lamp irons and injectors have been added in the platform together with the one noted earlier for the handbrake, although the latter is not yet at its final size.

In conclusion, now that I have finally retired after 51 years full-time employment I'm hoping I will have more time to devote to my modelling. Not sure that I will ever become as a regular poster as many of the contributors but all being well, they should become a bit more frequent that before and hopefully occasionally might contain something of interest.

Crimson Rambler

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The latter in a way was followed from the decision to remake the buffer beams. Originally the 'meat' in the sandwich was wood but harbouring concerns about the possible effect long term of absorbed flux leaching out of the wood I decided to substitute Tufnol. From there it progressed to I might as well add the angle irons.

The upper one is a view of the rear of the front buffer beam while the lower view is the outside of the rear beam.

Proceeding in a similar vein meant the front and rear faces of the cylinder armature were replaced in order to include bolt and stud detail.
Please describe how you have made the rivet fixings - especially those with a head on both sides of the bufferbeam.

Thank you, Graham

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Graham
The rivets in the buffer beam are bits of brass wire - the straight stuff. They are rounded at one end using a combination of a file and a cup burr. After that they are pushed through pre-drilled holes in the tufnol beam and the N/S plates from the back (generally some its the opposite direction) before the whole assembly is clamped together and soldered (more than once). Then the protruding wires on the opposite face are filed back either flush or until they protrude the right distance and a 'head' formed by a burr.

Crimson Rambler

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Famous last words in post No 9 that now I have retired I would have more opportunity for modelling! Due to the impact made by other commitments while I have made a little progress with the Class N 0-6-0T it is nowhere near what I hoped hence pictures will have to wait I'm afraid.

So by way of compensation and as a little diversion, hands up who remembers those little green packets like the one below for ScaleSeven items?

DSCF7885.JPG

I particularly liked the tapered axles for wagons and carriages that were once available. Ken Cottle arranged for them to be made and as I recall they were very reasonable in price despite the machining.

They provided a definite finishing touch to a model - if only they were still available or a modern equivalent was.

Crimson Rambler

daifly

Western Thunderer
I have a couple of ScaleSeven packets like yours - one with tie bars and one with rivets and washers. I had bought them s/hand at some time. I hadn’t appreciated that they were ScaleSeven Group products - obviously from a time before I became a member.
Dave

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Evening Adrian
The axle you include a photo of with your post is still available from the S7 Group Stores. I bought a couple about four months back, just to see what they were like, but was baffled when I found the wheels I had in mind for them wouldn't go on the axles. Which reminds me I must get in touch with S7 Stores about them.
Tony

ICH60

Western Thunderer
Famous last words in post No 9 that now I have retired I would have more opportunity for modelling! Due to the impact made by other commitments while I have made a little progress with the Class N 0-6-0T it is nowhere near what I hoped hence pictures will have to wait I'm afraid.

So by way of compensation and as a little diversion, hands up who remembers those little green packets like the one below for ScaleSeven items?

View attachment 155538

I particularly liked the tapered axles for wagons and carriages that were once available. Ken Cottle arranged for them to be made and as I recall they were very reasonable in price despite the machining.

They provided a definite finishing touch to a model - if only they were still available or a modern equivalent was.

Crimson Rambler
I still have 18 ScaleSeven wagon wheels with those axles that Ken made for me more years that i like thing about. IMG_6511.jpgIMG_6512.jpg

Also I am using the ScaleSeven Mansell wheels on the E19 coach
IMG_6513.jpg

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
@daifly the green packets actually predate the formation of the Scaleseven Society. At that time you bought bits from either the ScaleSeven stand at shows, where it was usually manned by Bernard Laycock, or alternatively you ordered it from his then home - The Old Police House near Ampthill. At shows Ken would usually be nearby operating Weston Green.

S7 was very much a niche thing in those days and while it was possible to get by, ideally you needed either to own a lathe, or have access to one. It was recognising this 'impediment' which set me on the path of getting RJE involved and thence the formation of the Society.

Crimson Rambler

ICH60

Western Thunderer
I started modelling S7 in around 1982/83 when around that time I purchased the ready made wheels from Ken. You could at that time buy moulds to cast your our centres for the axles you showed. I could never get on with the moulds so I ended up buying ready made ones. The have lasted well since then. They wagons and coaches that I built in the early eighties are still going strong with the wheels . Since they were used on Highworth that I helped build with Eric Hinds in 1986, and still being used on exhibition layouts to this day. I have still some green packets of tie bars and signals in a box some where. Also I have a full set of drawings that Bernard made for a model of 57XX they are a work of art.

IMG_5826.jpgIMG_5830.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
I’m not an S7 modeller but I do have access to an extremely well equipped workshop, with two 5-axis CNC lathes and a 3-axis CNC mill, and 3D CAD, and some very capable staff.

I’m happy to produce batches of machined parts - obviously, it’s a business, so there’s some commercial consideration involved - but happy to discuss any machining work that we can fit in amongst our mainstream activities.

please PM me if I can help.

atb
Simon

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Bernard was a very skilled modeller - I believe he was responsible for the exquisite 14xx that appeared in some early S7 articles. He chose however not to join the Society when it was formed although he did join it some years later. Ken told me he went into live steam.

In contrast to @ICH60 I liked the cast acrylic resin wheel centres. You would buy a green packet containg (I think) a pair of tyres that were placed one at a time in the mould tread down. Powder and liquid was added and after about 20 mins the embryo wheel could be extracted and the process repeated. The excess plastic on the back of the wheel was machined off in the lathe and the hole drilled for the S7 axle. Below is an example pair of unpainted wheels mounted on an axle.

Wheel set.JPG

I must admit I rather liked the technique - indeed it inspired me to adapt it for producing my chairs, some examples of which may be seen in the first post.

To answer @Tony Overton the wheel seat was larger in diameter than that used by Slaters so before the latter were reprofiled I used to drill the extant holes to suit the S7 axles. They were then mounted on the mandrel above. Number one jaw was indentified so the mandrel/wheel assembly always went in the lathe the same way. With the wheel secured by the nut and the eight drive pins sharing the driving torque the tyre was reprofiled. I seem to recall a loose tyre was quite rare.

Crimson Rambler

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
I can see now where I was going wrong and why. I wasn't aware of the history and use for the axles and that they were not intended for Slaters wheels unless drilled out.

I had bought an ABS MR Dia.333 Implement/Traction wagon kit and as this required 2ft 8.5 inch wheels I thought I could use a set of Slaters finescale wheels (no S7 wheels of that size available), have these reprofiled, which I did,, and then fit them to these wonderful 'S7 axles'. So I was shocked when I found the wheels wouldn't go on the axles and baffled because I couldn't work why.

In the end I put the reprofiled wheels back on the Slaters finescale axles along with two spacing washers to correct the gauge. Sacrilege I know, but it got me out of the hole I had dug for myself.

So, thanks Adrian for enlightening me. We live and learn.
Tony